Thread: Travel Writer Hitchhiking to 50 States by plane

Default Travel Writer Hitchhiking to 50 States by plane

Hi everyone!
    I am a travel writer who is "hitching" rides on private planes across the across US in an effort to visit all 50 states...obviously there are two that are going to be the most challenging. I've done 10 states so far, checked out Oshkosh, and am currently in Montana.

Next up is a ride to Idaho and then I'll be landing in Seattle on the 7th of October. It might be a stretch to try and reach Alaska on such a short notice, but I thought I'd put the word out about my project just in case.

You can follow my trip on JetHiking.com (I'm blogging about it) and we are working on a PBS TV series. However, right now it's just me while we search for more sponsors.

If anyone can help me out with a ride, please let me know. If it doesn't work this time around maybe later on in my journey. I'll be doing this for a while

Thanks!
    Amber

Amber,

Sounds like a lot of fun. I live out on the southwest end of the state...if you make it up here let me know and I'll see whether your location and mine intersect enough for me to assist. But I won't be flying the Tri-Pacer to or from Seattle soon, so can't help with that at the moment.

Troy
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

I have done detailed flight planning from Washington to alaska as I thought I was going to have to bring my pitts up from the lower 48. Flying through northern canada is no mans land and is incredibly dangerous. Most that do it have a good reason (usually ferrying a plane up). Air ports are scarce and legs between air ports that sell fuel are far and few between. Unless the plane you are in has a 300-400+ mile range your going to be carrying fuel bladders as alot of the air ports dont sell fuel or if they do its not card reader fuel so its only sold during certian hours.

I was not looking forward to it in a plane with a 230 mile range. Hawaii will be impossible unless your allowed to take commercial flights, although there are people that will get huge 100 gal baldders with inroute fuel pumps to get a small plane to hawaii but if you have an engine failure your probably going to die unless your close to hawaii or alaska. I could not imagine floating in a life vest or rubber dingy in the middle of the pacific 1000 miles from any land.

Hmm,,,, Amber I tried your web site and it says that it is not active at this time...
    By the way, October is not a good time of year to be bumming rides around Alaska....
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

H'lo, Amber. I wouldn't be discouraged by the posting of rppearso. I'm sure he has never flown through Canada and, in fact, I have the impression, from some of h is earlier posts, that he is a very low-time pilot. That trip isn't particularly dangerous, and it's quite awesome with all its outback scenery. You will be thrilled with the Canadian flight if you can find an experienced pilot with whom to ride.

Good luck !!!

I second Grizzly's comment. I've flown through Canada, it was a great trip.
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

Why is it ugly people like me have to pay for all of our flights..... ?????
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Why is it ugly people like me have to pay for all of our flights..... ?????
    You might try changing your sign-in name from Float Pilot to Rachel . . . . . Let me know if that works, by the way ........................ !

If you notice I said its only dangerous if you have a plane with an incredibly low range. Im sure its absolutly awesome if you have a 400+ nm range. The fun stops when your running out of fuel and there is nothing but wilderness below you or the alaska highway with no av gas for 200+ nm.

I am low time but I did detailed flight planning and for a pitts flying through canada would not be a good time, also since there is alot of FAA hoop jumping (which translates into cost run up) to make aircraft mods to install an inroute aux tank. Also the eapis process is quite a hassle and clearing customs in northway can be a less than enjoyable expereince.

If you have huge range in the plane your in and someone else is doing the beaurocratic paper work and dealing with the customs agent then im sure it will be the most magnificant trip of your life.

Dont you own your own plane?

Quote Originally Posted by rppearso View Post
    Dont you own your own plane?
    Thanks for the advice! I forgot to update my credit card info with GoDaddy so the automatic bill pay didn't work - it's all set now. It sounds like I'll have to wait until next year to try and get up that way. I thought I'd give it a shot since I am on this side of the US for the time being.