Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long story & pics from my unit 13 backpack caribou hunt

Default Long story & pics from my unit 13 backpack caribou hunt

I know these long adventure stories are more typical for sheep hunts, but I had a great time hunting caribou this year so I wrote up all the details and took lots of pictures. I also wanted sort of a practice run / gear test for sheep hunting next year, so I made this a backpack hunt in the Clearwater CUA. I'm glad I did it this way to pick up a few good lessons before trying for sheep. I did a lot more work than was probably necessary to find some meat, and I never saw any really big trophy-class bulls, but it was still one of my favorite hunts ever.

The full story & pics are too long to post here, so I'll just link to the story my site:

http://www.troutnut.com/article/42/c...highway-alaska

And a few of my favorite pics:

Jason
    http://www.troutnut.com -- Fly fishing photos & insect hatch encyclopedia.
    http://www.daltoncorridormap.com -- Exact 5-mile Haul Road corridor boundary for GPS & Google Earth

Jason thanks for taking the time and putting your story together and sharing it with us, that is one amazing report and your pictures are outstanding! Sorry to hear that your two legs did not perform as advertised. Hopefully you are able to return them for another set next year.

Nice pictures,thanks for sharing
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Great story and great picks!

How far did you have to pack the meat? My son and I dropped 3 bulls about 1.25 miles from our raft and it took us a full day + to move all of the meat and racks back to camp and then it was 10+ miles of work in the raft including a portage. Hard work but love it!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Back Country Rentals
    www.northwestalaska.net

Thanks Walt. The pack out started at 3 miles and got to 2.5 by the last trip as I figured out which way to go. Since I went in with so much gear, it took 3 trips to get everything out.
    Jason
    http://www.daltoncorridormap.com -- Exact 5-mile Haul Road corridor boundary for GPS & Google Earth

****! You be a stud!

One of my hunting groups in the upper Noatak just got back and it was a younger man and his older father. They say lots of caribou but only dropped 1 bull because the father just could not take the hard hunting that tundra dished up. I always tell my lower 48 hunters how tough hunting up here and they can only hunt within 4-5 miles of their camp. Packing meat on the tundra is hard!

Fantastic story and pics, taking time to do both shows the true love you have for the outdoors - well done...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Enjoyed your story very much. You had a quality hunt getting "back there" rather than just road hunting. A good tune up for next years sheep hunt.

Great pictures. Congrats on a great hunt!

Good write up, fantastic pictures! Cool way to test yourself and your new gear.

Great story! Gotta dispute your final picture though; you wasted three days getting to your tenderloins!

Default Long story & pics from my unit 13 backpack caribou hunt

Very nice writing and pictures. I really enjoyed it!

Great storey and awesome pics. Thanks for sharing!!!
    I'm Pro-Pike.

Great story & pics!

Thanks

Good work! I have a buddy that hunts Unit 13 every year. He says I'm crazy for packing a 'bou 10 miles on my DC001 tag and I say bull****!!!! Packing meat is part of the hunt, and I've never felt more rewarded than when I collapse at the car knowing I don't have to put that pack on again. Some of us want the easiest animal possible, and some of us prefer to work for it. Would I pass on an animal on the trail 100 feet from the car? **** right, I wouldn't! But ultimately, I'm going to hunt them. That's what I'm out there to do, and if that means more miles of suffering and having my buddy help me up when I fall with a pack full of meat, then so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Troutnut View Post
    I did a lot more work than was probably necessary to find some meat, and I never saw any really big trophy-class bulls, but it was still one of my favorite hunts ever.

Wonderful write up and loved the pictures
    Semper Fi and God Bless

congrats on your successful backpack hunt. Your appreciation of the scenery, wildlife and experience were evident in the writeup and enjoyable far beyond the meat I am sure. I remember a flyin hunt where everyone tagged out and immediately one guy wanted to call for a pickup. I couldnt imagine why. We spent another few days there enjoying the scenery, company and fresh caribou meat in gods country. Why he wanted to hurry back to civilization I have no idea!
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Default Another picture of the bull in troutnuts story

Troutnut
    Here is another picture of the bull in your story just thought it was quite a coincidince not trying to steal the thread. He was killed in the CCUA on the 14th.
    DSCF3286.jpg

Wow, no kidding, that's him alright -- what a coincidence!

For anyone who didn't read my full story, here's that bull alive a week earlier, through my spotting scope:

Jason

Awesome post. Thanks for sharing!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast