Thread: Waders for raingear?

Default Waders for raingear?

So I'm in the garage looking at my old Simms Stocking foot waders. The legs are fine, but the heels are shot, been patched way more than I care to admit. At the same time I'm looking at new raingear for hunting, I really hate to waste this good gortex that is actually waterproof, unlike hunting gortex. So I'm thinking that cutting off the feet and making them into pants would be a good idea. They're lite, waterproof even in the brush and take a beating real well. Only problem might be that the salmon spawn goo all over them might get me eaten by a bear. Other than that I think they'll be fine, anyone tried it yet?

I wore my breathables this year with the stocking feet on. My left foot leaks and my plan is to cut the feet out of them and do exactly what you are talking about. Worked good this year if I would have just cut the feet off.

Send them in to Simms for repairs.

I wore my Simms religiously on my float hunt, though I packed my rain pants i never wore them once the floating began.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Na, not gonna send these back, got 8 seasons out of them including 3 in the salt and sand on the east coast haul seining. Already upgraded and got replacements. And the seams in the crouch area were leaking but will be fine in the rain.

Good idea. Now if we would could figure out what to do with the felt sole shoes. Hate to just throw them away.

Quote Originally Posted by magnumrn View Post
    Good idea. Now if we would could figure out what to do with the felt sole shoes. Hate to just throw them away.
    Many brands of wading shoes can be re-soled.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I have done this but found the noise they make walking through the brush is a little much, but it is so nice to sit down to glass without getting wet.

Been doing this for years. They work great. Just cut off the feet as you said.
    BK

I used to use waders. They are hot if you are working a bunch. Great to sit in a swamp with though. Loud in the brush. I slipped a pair of cotton army surplus como pants over them to quiet them up a bit. Work good in really wet areas, not what I was looking for for comfort or durability though. I have two hunting partners that wear waders often when hunting moose, they are loud when walking but comfy when they get there.

I spoke with the Fish and Game-- As long as you are not fishing or have a pole in your hand--No problem with felt soles- Hunting, rafting, or what ever, in rivers, streams or anywhere! Just no fishing????. Boy, someone stayed up late figuring that one out!!
    Also, It is easy to put new neoprene- gortex or latex on the bottoms of your old waders. Did as such with my old gortex drysuit.
    Goo

So you can stomp around any creek you want with felt soles as long as your not fishin?

Quote Originally Posted by goeaux View Post
    I spoke with the Fish and Game-- As long as you are not fishing or have a pole in your hand--No problem with felt soles- Hunting, rafting, or what ever, in rivers, streams or anywhere! Just no fishing????. Boy, someone stayed up late figuring that one out!!
    Also, It is easy to put new neoprene- gortex or latex on the bottoms of your old waders. Did as such with my old gortex drysuit.
    Goo
    Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    So you can stomp around any creek you want with felt soles as long as your not fishin?
    You all need to read the lower right corner of page 5 of the hunting regulations for 2012-2013. Come January 1, 2013 no felt soles in AK period. This was one of the BOG changes this spring when the folly over the fishing rule change was brought to their attention.

I don't use felt, I was simply questioning the above mentioned post.