Thread: Early Call - 2013 Hunt Partner

Default Early Call - 2013 Hunt Partner

Looking for a partner for a late August/early September DIY flyout caribou hunt. Probably 5-6 days hunting, and 6 days of travel if youíre not an Alaskan resident (1 day on each end of the hunt to travel to/from Alaska, 1 day on each end to drive to/from the staging location, and 1 day on each end to fly into and out of the field).

A bit about me - Iíve done 7 remote Alaskan hunts since 2002, and have been fortunate to shoot a bull moose, 4 caribou, and a wolf. Iím 51 and in pretty good shape, 1400 miles on a road bicycle helps. I have tents, cooking gear, electric fence, spotting scope, and other gear Ė you would need to bring your clothes, binoculars, sleeping bag, personal gear, and rifle. I have an extra frame pack if you donít have one; itís not fancy but has packed moose and caribou just fine.

If youíve hunted remote Alaska before and need a partner, shoot me a PM or an email and letís talk. If youíve never hunted Alaska but are serious about doing so, feel free to do the same. I have most of the planning and logistics dialed in, so I can give you ballpark costs for most of the big ticket items (travel, bush plane, license and tags, etc). Am happy to provide pics from some of my previous hunts.

What am I looking for in a partner? A safe and experienced hunter, who doesnít complain when the animals arenít cooperating and is comfortable being a long way from civilization. Someone in reasonable shape, as weíll be packing any animals we shoot to the airstrip on our backs. Would prefer it if you didnít snore, but havenít always been lucky with that one. J

Serious inquiries please Ė Iím happy to pass along info to anyone just curious about hunting Alaska, but Iím not thinking about a hunt next year Ė Iím hunting next year, and am looking for a partner to tag along.

early bird get the worm!
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Michael, your timing is off for me again. Researching now for my return in 2014 to the North Slope for a caribou hunt with my son and a friend. I'd really like to do a float hunt someday, though, and I still want to get a moose. Maybe one day we can finally hook up. Good luck with finding a partner, and if things change for me, I'll surely be in touch. Knute

No problem Knute! I'll be hunting remote AK every year that I can until the body can't shoulder a pack, so we've got plenty of time. Be glad you weren't doing a float hunt this year, would have been too risky in my mind, hope all the floaters got home safe this fall.

A couple of people asked for pics, I'll add them below.

Moose, 2006

Wolf, 2006

Caribou, 2010

Caribou Camp, 2010. Planning to hunt similar area in 2013.

Default it takes one to ask for one

I wish I had a nickel for every post I've read on here asking for exactly what you're offering md. Wow. Its only been a day so don't get down about no on topic responses yet; it'll happen, and then some (you'll be overrun I think). You're just thinking sooner than others schedule-wise.

From the pics and text of your desired hunt partner, I can easily tell that you'd make a great one yourself md.

Default Early Call - 2013 Hunt Partner

Sounds like a great trip!

If you post the expected costs you might help weed out tire kickers or spark interest as well. I'm sure that the bush plane will be the big question.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I would be interested in some of the facts on the hunt. Please PM me.

Sorry, I got a good hunting partner. (We put three moose in freezers this year, and me on light duty due to a medical condition!!!!)

We keep talking about doing a fly-in caribou.... but, we keep doing moose hunts, and we got a BIG kodiak hunt for next November.

Good luck on finding a good friend and hunting partner,
    Thanks-
    Chris

Chris,

Not sure what type of facts you want, so please PM the type of info you're looking for, and I'll try to provide any data I can. Please understand that the info will be specific to my hunts and the transporters that I've used; your mileage may vary somewhat depending on where you were thinking about going and how many people were in your party.

Michael

Default Partner Selected

Thanks to all of the hunters who responded to this post for a 2013 hunt partner! I've selected a partner for next year's hunt; best of luck to all of you as you plan your hunts for next year.

Michael