Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: finding my dream spot

Default finding my dream spot

i am from western new york (no not the city, i live on a farm) and have been hunting and fishing since i can remember so naturally alaska is my dream location. i will retire from the marine corps in 2 years and am looking for a place identical to bob lee swaggers in shooter, for those unfamillar this is what im looking for: at least 50 acres, mountain top, river lake or other fishing available, 100 to 200k, land that i can live off of, great hunting, maximum 45 min to a smalll town with atleast a bar and a store, very private no neihgbors any where around. i am very unfamillar with alaska so i am looking for advice on where i could find land like this please reply thanks!

What you're looking for will be difficult to find, though there are some options that cover many of those options. First of all, finding 50 acres for less than 200k will be darn near impossible on the road system. That being said, I would argue that large tracts of private land are not really necessary in Alaska. The vast, vast majority of hunting in Alaska takes place on public land, not private. You won't be hunting (much) on your own land, so owning large tracts is not nearly as important as it might be in the lower 48. As for living off of the land, understand that Alaskan ecosystems are much less productive than southern areas and that truly living off the land is extremely difficult if not impossible. You can probably provide almost all of your meat and fish for yourself (once you learn the ropes) and can grow an extensive garden that can provide root crops throughout the year, but don't underestimate how difficult this can be. Some people have an image of Alaska as this wild game paradise with moose and caribou everywhere. The reality is quite different. Moose densities are far lower than deer in the lower 48 (as an example), caribou are mostly concentrated far off the road system (with some notable exceptions), and almost all hunting near the road system has complex regulations that govern whether you can hunt, when you can hunt, and what animals are legal game. The idea of just wandering into the woods and taking a moose to fill the meat shed is not entirely realistic - at least not in the sense that it can be done easily, predictably, and when needed for food.

All of that being said, a few places to start looking might be the areas around Kenny Lake, Copper Center, or perhaps the areas surrounding Tok or Delta Junction. I've heard some pretty cool things about Dot Lake as well, though I don't know the area personally. There may be options out there, but you're likely going to have to either significantly reduce the lot size you're looking for or increase the price you're willing to pay. Also, understand that if you're on the road system that you'll have company during hunting season - particularly if the hunting area is "great", as you specify.

jpryan1995, send me an email
    alaskanmutt@gmail.com You haven't posted enought to recieve im's
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Mountain top, no neighbors and 45 minutes to a small town with a bar is not possible in AK. Mostly due to mountain tops not being easily accessed, and small towns with bars being few and far between. Anywhere there is beer being sold will have a lot of neighbors. Since beer costs a lot to ship up here it makes no sense for a business to open up in an area where there is not a lot of people to buy the beer.

If you skip the mountain top and 45 minutes from a small town you can get the "no neighbors right on top of you" through a private land sale or over the counter sale. Most of the time you will be left alone, but the next lot owner will show up once in a while to recreate. A lot of state OTC lands are on lakes or rivers to improve access through boats or float planes.

[Former Finger Lakes-er here - hey!]. What he's looking for might be more findable north and northeast of Fairbanks, either in the Whites (there are some places for sale there) or Murphy Dome. It's not "mountain tops," per se, but you can definitely find stuff at higher elevations, with the caveat that hilltops close to Fairbanks can be considerably more expensive because they're so much warmer in winter. But an hour out of town? Possibly. Also check out Haystack. You'd have neighbors there but not close.

I'm guessing you are a former marine sniper who is looking to hide out so the Government can't blackmail you into performing another high profile political assasination. If thats the case, you should be looking into Canada. I hear they have lots of mountians, few neighbors and lots of really good beer. They'll find you if you try to hide out in Alaska.

On the other hand if youre looking for a nice quiet (if you ignore the constant airplanes overhead) place to live withgood hunting and fishing opportunity and generally good folks who expect to be able to take care of themselves, you might be in luck....As long as you can live without the "live off the land", "mountaintop", and "no neighbors anywhere" stuff...

Take an R&R, come on up, bring a fishing rod and explore a little. Maybe you'll decide its the crappiest place youve ever been!!!

You won't buy that much land but its not needed.I would look at POW or Wrangell/Pettersburg area.Semper Fi

Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Hint: The movie you reference was shot mostly in B.C. Canada, and Philidelphia PA.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Default finding my dream spot

Southeast would be the only place that comes to mind and even then coming up with that sort of acreage, living off the grid completely and enough game to shoot from the porch is, well: only in the movies.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Think its mostly in the movies because its to easy to go town and buy.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

wow thanks for all the advice, great inquires! so how about this minus the land amount, i still want quite a bit of privacy though, and an area with a bar near by no mountain top needed with the best hunting and fishing around, does this give a more realistic idea? Semper Fi

I think it's pretty tough to have both remote and close to a bar at the same time, by definition. There's a place for sale in Manley right now that might fill the bill, and I guess you could try places like Central, but I don't know. dkwarthog's suggestion to come up and spend some time looking around is a good one. First time I came up it was not much like I expected. I thought "This is the weirdest place I've ever been, but I could live here." There's no substitute for first-hand experience.

Depends on what you mean by best hunting and fishing. If by fishing you mean easy access to salmon and halibut then you need to be in southeast, one of the islands, or south central. Unfortunately none of these areas are the best hunting areas but they are certainly ok. Especially for deer and black bear. If hunting is more important to you then I would look in the interior where you can find good moose hunting and some good caribou although that varies. The fishing in the interior can be great for grayling and such but you will yourself driving toward the coast for your salmon. Gardening is also easier in the interior.

There are three bars within twenty mile of my pic and thirteen miles of the road is paved. Wrangell is at the mouth of the Stikeen river and the first 25miles of it are American.If you can get by only hunting deer,moose,elk and both bears you will like it. Also a chance of woods caribou and stone sheep and goats.

The downside is, Will lives in that area.

I ain't sweating.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I ain't sweating.

I was until I got the AC running last night.

Try starting 10-40 miles north of Denali on the Parks Hwy and head off the highway when you see what you like. It fits most of your criteria.

I have spent precisely zero time in Valdez but I suspect that it may be worth looking into.

okay this looks like a picture out of my wildest dreams could you please give me some details on where this is located and the cost of living ? thanks. Semper Fi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast