Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing Etiquette

Default Fishing Etiquette

Hello all. I've finally gotten the opportunity to move to Alaska permanently and can't wait to learn a new type of fishing. The first question I want to ask is: what are some common rules of fishing etiquette that are frequently broken? I grew up fishing walleye, pike, and muskie in Minnesota and Wisconsin's canadian shield lakes and it never failed to irritate me when someone would see me catching fish and come flying up in their boat to fish my spot, or some other idiot (usually a tourist from Illinois) would blow by me at full throttle 25 feet away from me while I'm fishing. When I move up I want to respect the other fishers and meet people to help me learn how to fish Alaska. I don't want to show up and be another rude weekend warrior.

Hey,
    I spent 5 years in MN recently catching pike and muskie mainly. One thing I can say for etiquette is if you're on a river fishing situation and people seem adequately spaced, don't move in real close to somebody. Once you become familiar with the flipping technique, you can determine how close is too close, but some people just come straight in and try to box you out. This stresses me out alot. I usually fish the Kasilof, and if this happens, I try not to attack the guy, and then wade across the creek or something. I don't think I want to try the Russian River/combat-central. Also, don't keep snagged fish. Some folks do that, and I call them out on it, then they say they've done it forever...and then they promptly set about filleting the fish to dispose of evidence. Those are the only two things that I can mention.

Also, I learned over time not to overtly try to snag fish while flipping. Granted, you end up snagging them quite often while flipping, just don't get all Arnold Schwarzenegger and give it a mighty rip at the end of your "flip run."

By the way, the picture that is my avatar is a 48" muskie I got on Lake Minnetonka. It was about 40 pounds.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

By snagging can I assume you mean accidentally/intentionally hooking the fish in a place other than the mouth by ripping the hook into the fish?

Yeah, that's snagging. You can really hook a surprising number of fish by snagging. It is tempting, but not appreciated by most people. Many times you will "line" the fish, which means the leader section of your line will be in the salmon's mouth, and they swim with mouths open to the best of my understanding, and as you prepare for your next flip, people often give a little bit of a tug at the end of the flip process, as the current takes your rig to the end of the short run, downstream, in order to set up another flip upstream, in one smooth motion. Often, this tug will drag the leader through the mouth and you establish a mouth hooking. It's often debated as to whether or not salmon in freshwater actually hit the bait. They indeed do, occasionally, but many people try to even the odds by a little tug at the end. But some people are outright snagging at the end of the flip run and set the hook somewhere in the body area.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Default snagging

MNViking,

Just FYI, in general snagging, or attempting to snag salmon is not legal in freshwater. I know many folks do it and many folks keep foul-hooked fish, but it can get you a ticket.

PS Thanks for asking about local etiquette.

Your welcome Freeda.

It is very possible I will spend the rest of my life in Alaska and I want to do everything I can to respect and learn the rules and traditions in Alaska.

Default Nice people and asses where ever you go

Alaska is really no different than any where else when it comes to behavior. I've fished around people that were nice and considerate, which makes for a fun outing even somewhere crazy like the Russian. I've also experienced people who will do whatever it takes to catch a fish, including trying to drop a line right under my boat in PWS when there was 100 square miles of open water around us. I've also seen people who were just plain pigs and should be shot. Fortunately, I've encountered more good than bad.

things can get pretty tense when someone chooses to cut your line when you are fighting a 60 lb king, because they are trying to fish right off your elbow.

that crap makes me mad.

I was fishing a long pier on the Texas coast once, when my brother and I hooked into a school of bull reds. I got bites on both of my rods and handed him my bigger rod, and I was manning up on my trout rod. I was fighting a good sized redfish on a barely suitable rod and reel when this Asian guy (notorious down there for boxing you out) comes within 5 feet of me and casts RIGHT next to where the fish is going ballistic (I'm talking within 5 feet). I get very mad, but manage to hold my cool...I think my face told the story, and I made it a point to show him my face. He gets barely tied up in my stuff then realizes he should go away. Another time a bunch of us were fishing a granite-block pier for the annual golden croaker run on the Texas coast. We were all catching fish, and it was fairly packed. This one guy (Asian) had been making his way around the pier, and I swear, as everyone was casting straight out, he would cast across EVERYONE'S line, parallel with the pier, every time! He was making so many people mad, and my fishing buddy took off his shirt, ready to scrap, when the guy finally stopped his rude behavior. Some people have no respect. Last year on the Kasilof, everyone was "adequately" spaced when these two guys come down, ask if we were catching anything, and then totally get within 3 feet of me, to my right. Oh man! I didn't move, and we got tangled all the time There was plenty of room elsewhere too. After about 10 minutes of panic attack, I waded across the creek to where there was nobody. Not cool.

hmmm, maybe they do it that way in asia?

either that, or they are undercover new sagaya agents trying to keep you from catching fish, so you come to the store and buy.

At the russian you are hooking fish and go to the banks to put it on the stringer and you look at your spot and someone has took it.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

If you do decide to go combat fishing make sure your gear is sturdy enough to bring in your fish quickly.
    Nothing pisses people off more than seeing Mr Flyrod finese playing a 8 pound Russian River red on a 6 weight flyrod causing everyone else to sit watch with there dicks in there hand till the fish is landed..
    Tennessee

Default same as everywhere.

I'd say manners up here are a lot like manners down south. Here are my pet peeves.

Know the regs where you are fishing, and don't give advice unless you've actually read THIS years regs. (man I hate people telling me years old regs expecially when I've said 3Xs that I read them this morning.) (usually about flyfishing meaning I have to have a fly rod, or hooks or bait stuff)

Don't take someones spot unless they are actually done fishing.

Catching = time lures in water and decent areas.... not b/c the guy ten feet down caucht one.

Don't drop trash. Pick up trash when you can. (ever see trash float by a guy and once he sees you noticed they didn't pick it up go "it wasn't mine!")

Watch people fishing for a little bit and copy them....better yet ask someone what they are doing. An example of this..... what the timing of folks flipping lures. If they know what they are doing most everyone flips at the same time more or less and this eliminates some tangles.

Don't get to mad at an honest tangle. And try to help clueless people in a polite way, but if they don't want to hear it stop.

If you can help someone do it. (I take extra everything fishing to loan out) (sometimes DON"T help people land fish as some are strange about it, but in general most appreciate it.)

If bears are around don't be an idiot. Don't harrass them, don't let kids get near them, cut off fish if they are present, Don't take and leave food laying on the bank. Don't take coolers out fishing and then leave them laying there.

That is all I can think of off the bat! Mainly just enjoy being out there.

Thanks everyone for the information. I have a lot of fishing experiance but the only place I've seen a trout or salmon is at the supermarket. I'm excited to get there to learn. I've pretty much decided to take it slow on the salmon runs, do a lot of spectating to learn (and for amusement) and hopefully meet some people to teach me the ropes. Until then I'm going to do my best to help out with the pike problem which is well withing my range of expertise.

Default Jetboats

Also remember that if you are fishing a small river and hear a jetboat take a step or two back. Don't get mad at the operator as he may not be able to slow down and come off of step becuase the water is shallow.

Just smile and wave.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    Also remember that if you are fishing a small river and hear a jetboat take a step or two back. Don't get mad at the operator as he may not be able to slow down and come off of step becuase the water is shallow.

Just smile and wave.
    You would be surprised how many people have no clue how true this is. At the same time at how many people will remain in the middle of a small river so you have to go around them. Look back and this is what you might see or and just give them a

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    You would be surprised how many people have no clue how true this is. At the same time at how many people will remain in the middle of a small river so you have to go around them. Look back and this is what you might see or and just give them a
    I actually ran in to that one year and had to go around the guy, front dragg'in on rocks and everything. As I when by, it just kind of happened my jet wash covered him.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Being an (asian) guy and a polite fishermen myself, I couldn't help notice s(ripface) had a couple of rude experiences with some (asian) guy. This was important to you to point out that the guy was (asian).

I thought it's important to add a experience of my own. Last fall I was in Seward a was snagging silvers in salt water with everyone else and this (white) guy bullied his way in to the evenly spaced crowd started flying his snag hook right next to this (white) woman and her kids. Swearing and acting like a you know what. My friend (white) and I looked at each other and shook our heads. To try to get the guy to chill out, before he whacked some woman or kid in the face, I moved closer to the guy and I looked him square in eye and said if this guy hits me he's going in the water. He rode his bike away shortly after that. To make a a long story short, rude people come in all forms and I believe it's unnessery to point out race.

Default Riding a bike?

He was on a bike, eh?

Full beard on the fella?....A lil' oldish?

(No it wasn't me)
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

yeah, thats the guy. Several people said he's always been a you know what.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast