Thread: Who Rolls Their Own ???

Smile Who Rolls Their Own ???

Just courious on how many handgun users reload their own cartridges rather than store bought ammo ???

I find that reloading my own I can really tune in a certain bullet for either target shooting , cowboy loads and or game loads and one has the choice of many different types of bullets , shapes , lengths and weights of such bullets and his or her own preference of powders .

If you cast your own bullets that even opens up the doors to a wide area of types and shapes of such cast bullets , gas checked or plain based .

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

I haven't bought factory ammo for anything in a long time. Not only is reloading cheaper, it does as you said give me the opportunity to match the load to the gun. Along with that, about half of my stuff is usually wildcats.
    Right now I'm loading 450 Marlin, 35 Whelan AI, & 7mm-08 all for Encore handguns.
    Just .44 mag for the wheelgun, & that's heavy cast bullets.
    I will probably be talking with you soon about trying to find a lead bullet that shoots in my 450. All I've tried so far were some 365 gr from Performance & they shot horribly. 405 Remington jacketed are doing well.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

The only factory ammo I have shot in a long time is a bunch of stuff I won at a drawing. Well I guess there are also a few boxes that I obtained in trades.
    My reloading room is kinda stuffed with other things from a bathroom remodel project.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I handload 38s, 357s, and 44 Mags. It’s like you say, very flexible, with many and various possibilities.

It’s pretty economical too, considering you will be using less powder, and cast bullets are cheaper, and IMO better, for my purposes anyways.
    Smitty of the North

I just got setup over the last couple months. Rolled my first batch 50 of plinkers for my 44 last weekend. 8gr unique, 240gr cast, tight crimp as many of you suggested. Now I just have to find time to go shoot. Probably end up loading for the wifes 38sp someday. So far those 50 rounds have cost me about 400 bucks!

I dabble in it from time to time... I bought a complete set-up off a die-hard reloader. Just haven't had time to get into it like I should....

BTW...that has got to be the best thread title I've seen on here. If you would have only started it on the 20th of April...it would have been perfect....420...
    "The rich... who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own excellence, these are the real enemies of game".... Theodore Roosevelt's A Principle of the Hunt

Default Can't Afford NOT To!

I bought my first handgun when I was sixteen, and got one box of Winchester 158 gr. Lubaloy lead factory ammunition with it. When that was gone, I couldn't afford another box, and that all happened within one afternoon. Next paycheck, I bought a 'Jr' RCBS setup. For a few bucks more, I should've got the Rock Chucker, and with the 'stuff' that came down the road later, a Dillon would've worked out well, but here I am 36 years later, still using a single stage press!
    I DID break down the other day, though, and bought a 100 round box of WW .45 acp factory loads. My lead bullet .45 loads won't feed in the new High Standard 1911A1 I picked up, and these round ball loads go through it like dung through a goose!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    I just got setup over the last couple months. Rolled my first batch 50 of plinkers for my 44 last weekend. 8gr unique, 240gr cast, tight crimp as many of you suggested. Now I just have to find time to go shoot. Probably end up loading for the wifes 38sp someday. So far those 50 rounds have cost me about 400 bucks!

Yep the first couple hundred rounds are a tad on the costly side but if you are a avid shooter that drops pretty fast .

A pound of Unique at 8gr per load is about 875 rounds loaded .
    That is 17.5 50 round boxes of loaded rounds .
    Store bought is around $12.00 plus , total $210.00 .

Look at the money you will save !!!!!!!! ( wink )

RR

USS SARATOGA CV-60

Default Reloading

I reload for a couple of reasons.

It keeps me occupied during my two weeks off and (after you have all the equipment) it saves a tremendous amount of money.

The calibers that I load for are .38, .45 Colt, 9mm, .22-250, .300 Win Mag, and .45-70.

The cost to load the .38s (using a lead bullet) is right around $65/1000. The cost for the .300 varies depending on the bullet used. Last fall I loaded them with Accubonds and they cost 73 cents per round or $14.60 for 20. That’s a hell of a lot cheaper than you can buy quality factory rounds for.

When I mentioned the part about “after you have all the equipment”, this is where one of the inherent problems with reloading comes into play. You will never, ever “have all the equipment”. You can have enough to get buy and you will be able to turn out some quality rounds but there is always something else that you “need” or at least think you need.

I have a Dillon 650 and several of the gadgets that they sell to make loading easier or at least more efficient. It does a fantastic job and by all accounts ranks right up on top of the wish-list of many people that reload. To me it’s the Cadillac of all reloading machines. Even with the setup that I have, every time I pick up Dillon’s magazine, I find something else in there that I “need” (and I’m not just talking about the girls holding the guns).

One of the draw backs of having a set up like that is the initial cost to get set up. With the loader and accessories that I have, it cost well over $1000.00 to get going.

One other problem I found with this type of loader is the cost associated with keeping it. This is not your father’s single stage hand press that may be content with sitting on the bench in a closet or a corner of the garage and loading a few rounds each year for hunting season.

This creature has taken on a life of its own. I have to feed it and take care of it just like any child. I have to spend time with it and smother it with attention. It even has its own room and TV set.

Its appetite can be ravenous. It can consume enough primers, powder and bullets to produce up to 1000 rounds in an hour’s time. It doesn’t take long to start getting expensive when it eats like that.

You have to shoot a lot to “need” a loader like that or simply enjoy the reloading as much as the shooting.

Like I said, it occupies my two weeks off when my kids are in school and my wife is at work and it allows me to shoot a tremendous amount for a fraction of the cost.

I would recommend “rolling your own” to anyone that enjoys the shooting sport and want’s to get as much out of the hobby as they can. Besides that, it keeps me off the street and out of the bars.
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Ya, I was able to buy 500 240gr cast bullets delivered to my door for 32 bucks, 16 bucks for a lb of powder, couple bucks for 100 primers to get me started.

I think I figured not counting the tools and brass I can load these 240gr rounds for about 15 cents each.

Next step is loading for my 325wsm.

Default Next Step...

A long time ago, we used to cast our own .38 and .357 bullets. Over the years, I've been accumulating molds, finally acquired an as-new older Lyman electric bottom pour furnace with the base and mold guide for $50. All I'm looking for now are mold handles, a good luber-sizer and top punches, sizers, alloy...............
    Seems like the most expensive part of reloading our own bullets was the primer, and we were getting those for $10.00 a thousand. We were getting wheel weights for .10 cents a pound, 3 or 4 grains of Bullseye in cases we scrounged from the range after qualification, three of us would get together a couple evenings a month, fire up the furnace, one cast, one sort, one size and lube, turn on the radio and the coffee pot, maybe order in a nasty pizza, and turn out a couple thousand plinking bullets in an evening's time. It's a LOT easier to just go down and buy a tub of bullets nowadays, but not near as much fun, nor get to spend as much time with good friends.

Talking

I enjoy reloading . I get to relax a bit , listen to the tunes and produce my own beauties .
    I currently reload the

500 Cyrus
    45-120
    45-70
    500 S&W
    460 S&W
    45 colt
    44 mag

I cast my own bullets for all my calibers except one and that is the 338 .
    I still have a big batch of Herters 265 or 270 Grain round nose bullets on hand.

Time to roll a few more out !!!!

RR

USS SARATOGA CV-60

Some calibers are more necessary to reload than others. I load for my .458 Win, last time I looked a box of 20 was $75! Even with high end bullets loading is still cheaper than store bought. If I was shooting .223s loading might not be so cheap.

Default Roll your own

Reloading is one of the most rewarding parts of the shooting sports. Its like a bow hunter making his own arrows or a golfer making his own clubs. You get great satisfaction when you fine tune a load that will put all its bullets into one ragged hole. I have been reloading since 1968 and have loaded thousands of rounds. I load for everything I shoot except .22 rimfire. It is hard to remember the last time I purchased a box of centerfire ammo (except the one box of 460 S & W factory ammo I picked up with my smith. I just had to try the factory 200gr. load until my dies came in). I load for the 380acp up to 45-70 and a lot of calibers inbetween for handguns, rifles, and shotguns. I even play with blackpowder.
    DAG