Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hooligans on the 20 Mile?

Default Hooligans on the 20 Mile?

Has anybody had any luck with Hooligans down at 20 Mile yet? Got a new net and chest waders just "itchin" to get them wet. Or is there a better place to go?
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in english, thank a veteran

I always say I'm going to go get some but never do, I would also like to know when they start.

Only time I went was on april 15th we did ok
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

20-Mile can be good....or slow.......

If you have a jet boat, the lower Susitna River is AMAZNG! You don't even need a net, just your hands. The lower Kenai gets fair to great numbers on any given year as well. Or you could take the fast ferry to Cordova and hit the Copper River in late April.....

We went down there today (4-21), all we caught was a small salmon fry
    maybe next weekend?
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in english, thank a veteran

Beluga river has a great run of hooligan as well.

Smile Hooligan

I've always done great on the first full-moon in May. And yes the Susitna and the Yentna are outstanding places. I've done real good at the 20 mile river at that time also.

I dipped there May 15 or so last year and did good. I looked into some old archived stuff and saw that folks were doing ok on May 1 last year. (one old post said a bucket in 3 hours.)

Default Moon

First full moon is the 2nd of May and the next one is the 31st

Default best i did was

900 on the lower kenai in less than or around a half an hour. makes it easy when you can see them running. two large coolers full-pretty cool. That year it was the weekends of memorial day. 20 mile looks crazy to me. to many retards to far out. never tried it there just for that reason. Kenai is worth the drive.

Default Rivers

OK, I've heard the Big Su drainage, 20 Mile, Kenai. Where else? Kasilof? Do they run up any of the bigger creeks? Willow, Ingram ???

I have never caught them in willow creek itself but just below the mouth is good and easy access.
    My brother told me he saw holigan in fish creek last year. I went down the next day and couldn't find any. I have never heard of them there before but he should have been able to identify them.

2 of us went out for the evening tide 4/30. NADA!!!!!! Give it another week.... at least!!!!

Do you dip them at High Tide?

For several years our family went out on Mothers Day and dipped the incoming tide.......filled our buckets pretty fast. Never found a way we really liked to cook them so haven't done it for years. I would guess that the fish still come in in mid May pretty strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Denter View Post
    Do you dip them at High Tide?
    I have found dipping while the tide is coming in is the most productive. I have also done well though on the outgoing tide as the fish stay close to the bank to get out of the current.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default dead tide

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    I have found dipping while the tide is coming in is the most productive. I have also done well though on the outgoing tide as the fish stay close to the bank to get out of the current.
    Dead tide you have no chance though it seems like. I think they just spread out or something. A lot would depend on where you are. I remember when the tide came in last year at 20 mile the water turned dead near the rocks and there was no current and no fish, but going out it was perfect and we got a bunch. I guess a lot depends on where you are standing.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

You gotta fish before the flood tide, once the channel widens its hard to get any because they can spread out
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default NET

What kind of net do you use? Anyone have a picture?

There is a small picture here http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/Smelt.htm They usually have an extendable handle, 18"-24" hoop and a fine net to keep the little buggers in there. Hope that helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast