Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 280 AI felt recoil

Default 280 AI felt recoil

I have shot std 280's no issue far as recoil I thought for those of you shooting the AI what is the recoil like? Why i ask on the hunt for a kimber prefer a 7-08 for the wife her ruger to heavy and she made it known to me lol. I found a 280 AI in a kimber and couple 270 wsm. If I want a 7-08 I will have to order it or watch gunbroker. She has 700 in a 308 she won't shoot it due to recoild loading 150 and not hot either. That's my concern on recoil figure with the 280 load 140's or 150's. But if the recoil is to much then back to the drawing board.

You can borrow mine and see how she likes it.

I would imagine that a 5 lb 3 oz 7mm-08 and a 5 lb 10 oz 280 AI won't be too dissimilar in felt recoil, both have the same, good recoil pad, "my" advice FWIW would be to magnaport the 280 AI and go - Load 140's and don't get too energetic with the loads (I sure hope ya don't wreck the rifle with one of them gosh darn'd muzzle brakes !) If you decide on the 7mm-08 I would think the magnaporting would still make sense - a 270 WSM, although not bad at all for recoil, sounds like it would still ruffle her too much - just another "free" opinion

7mm/08 is about 12 pounds of recoil and a 280 is about 17. So the 280 AI might be a bit more but not much than the 280.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

They're close enough in recoil that the big difference will likely be in stock design and how it fits your wife. You can turn a mild round into a stinker with poor fit or stock design.

Thanks guys.... Lujon thanks for the offer! I won't go muzzle brake reason for my wife... I agree on stock design as well... I was thinking as well on her 700 putting a limbsaver on it.... Any might go get that AI today... Lujon have you shot std 280 out of yours?

I have not run std 280 through it yet. So far only the 140 Nosler factory AI stuff. Has she shot that Tikka 270wsm of Mod Elan's? It wasn't bad to shoot at all I thought, especially with the limb saver. It is a good bit heavier than the Kimbers though. My kid is shooting a LH Savage youth 7mm-08 and it only weighs about 8oz more than the 84L and costs less than 1/2 as much!

Anyway, the offer stands. You are welcome to drag a couple of mine out to the range and let her have a go with em.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post

Anyway, the offer stands. You are welcome to drag a couple of mine out to the range and let her have a go with em.
    That's the best possible option, and very generous of you LuJon. My wife and two daughters taught me an important lesson over the years: It wasn't up to ME to decide which guns were right for them.

One more piece of advice about bench shooting: Raise the rifle high enough that your wife sits fully upright to shoot, rather than leaning forward into the rifle. However you manage to get it that high, her body will sway back with the shot, greatly reducing the felt recoil compared to a lower position. Probably the best "tip" of all for helping her find happiness with a gun.

If she doesn't care for the recoil of a 308, I doubt she will enjoy a 280AI. FWIW, my 280 AI recoil is significantly more than my 308.

I would say that it may be a bit too much for her. I have that exact rifle. In fact, I let my brother borrow it to get his sheep this year and he commented to me on more than one occasion about how much recoil it had when shooting it at the range.

FYI, I have been doing some reloading for it and have found that in most cases if I slow my bullets down then they are more accurate, which is nice when you consider the recoil.

It does kick less than my 7mm mag but not by much. It's just such a light rifle. If in fact you do buy the Kimber, the most accurate rounds that I have found so far was when shooting the 168gr. Berger VLD. Powder charge was 52 gr. of Varget. COL=3.33 I know all rifles are different but that may give you something to start with. The Nosler factory ammo isn't too shabby, I averaged 1.15" groups(5 shots groups) at 100 yards with the factory stuff.

I've got a few of those Berger rounds loaded up if you ever want a handful to try them out. You can also borrow the rifle if you would like. I live in the finger lake area, so I shouldn't be too far away from you. Just send me a PM and I'll call you if you are interested. I hate to see you spend $1300 on a rifle that she won't want to shoot.

Thanks again guys I'm going to hunt for a 7-08 no rush probably just order one... The other one I'm looking at Winchester extreme weather they are claiming 6lbs 12oz on it and ruger has one out they are claiming 6 1/2 lbs...

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    My wife and two daughters taught me an important lesson over the years: It wasn't up to ME to decide which guns were right for them.
    Solid advice, that.

Find a 6.5x55 for them to try. Bet ya a beer they like it.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Cartridge: .280 AI
    Load and Firearm Info:

Bullet Dia (in): 0.284
    Case Length (in): 2.540
    Case Volume (gr H2O): 70.6
    Muzzle velocity (ft/sec): 3150
    Bullet Wt (gr): 140
    Charge Weight (gr): 62
    Barrel Length (in): 22
    Firearm Weight (lb): 7.00
    Free recoil energy is 24.1 ft-lb. (32.7 Joule)

FACTOIDS:

Free recoil velocity is estimated to be 15 ft/sec. (4.5 m/sec)
    (This is equivalent to dropping the 7.00 lb gun from a height of 3 feet.)
    The free recoil volocity is gained in only 0.1 in (2.5 mm) of travel
    Recoil impulse is 3.2 lbf-sec (14.4 Newton-sec)
    Powder gases generate about 40 percent of the total recoil impulse & velocity

Cartridge: .308
    Load and Firearm Info:

Bullet Dia (in): 0.308
    Case Length (in): 2.015
    Muzzle velocity (ft/sec): 2800
    Bullet Wt (gr): 150
    Charge Weight (gr): 46
    Free recoil energy is 17.1 ft-lb. (23.2 Joule)

FACTOIDS:

Free recoil velocity is estimated to be 13 ft/sec. (3.8 m/sec)
    (This is equivalent to dropping the 7.00 lb gun from a height of 2 feet.)
    Recoil impulse is 2.7 lbf-sec (12.2 Newton-sec)
    Powder gases generate about 32 percent of the total recoil impulse & velocity
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by seant View Post
    If she doesn't care for the recoil of a 308, I doubt she will enjoy a 280AI. FWIW, my 280 AI recoil is significantly more than my 308.
    I'm in agreement with this thinking. I'd say the 280 has more recoil than a 308 but often the 308 is a lighter rifle and feels stronger. As has been pointed out the stock config can make or break a deal. Some guns just kick harder than others. I'd steer her towards a good 6.5x55 or 260 Rem. Both effective in the field and light on the shoulder even in a light rifle.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Cartridge: .280 AI
    Load and Firearm Info:

Bullet Dia (in): 0.284
    Case Length (in): 2.540
    Muzzle velocity (ft/sec): 3150
    Bullet Wt (gr): 140
    Charge Weight (gr): 62
    Free recoil energy is 24.1 ft-lb. (32.7 Joule)

FACTOIDS:

Free recoil velocity is estimated to be 15 ft/sec. (4.5 m/sec)
    (This is equivalent to dropping the 7.00 lb gun from a height of 3 feet.)
    Recoil impulse is 3.2 lbf-sec (14.4 Newton-sec)
    Powder gases generate about 40 percent of the total recoil impulse & velocity

Cartridge: .308
    Load and Firearm Info:

Bullet Dia (in): 0.308
    Case Length (in): 2.015
    Muzzle velocity (ft/sec): 2800
    Bullet Wt (gr): 150
    Charge Weight (gr): 46
    Free recoil energy is 17.1 ft-lb. (23.2 Joule)

FACTOIDS:

Free recoil velocity is estimated to be 13 ft/sec. (3.8 m/sec)
    (This is equivalent to dropping the 7.00 lb gun from a height of 2 feet.)
    Recoil impulse is 2.7 lbf-sec (12.2 Newton-sec)
    Powder gases generate about 32 percent of the total recoil impulse & velocity
    Very good BT. I like the powder gases point and the difference between the two, 280 AI @40%, 308 @ 32%. this due to greater gas volume and smaller bore at exit. This is my Bill Lear Effect. Of course the actual powder weight is considered part of the projectile for the math.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Yes, and I think she would prefer a 260 or 7mm08 more than any 280 or 280AI if recoil is the issue.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by seant View Post
    I agree seant. Though I'd add the 7mm-08 to the mix. In similar built guns of equal weight a shooter is hard pressed to tell the difference in 140-150 grain loadings for the 7mm-08, .308, 270 Win, 280 (AI), or 30/06. Of course there are a variety of loads available and some recoil more than others, but if a .308 is excessive then I'd look to add gun weight or decrease recoil significantly. As mentioned by others, the smaller 6.5s are excellent choices as is a .257 Roberts or 25/06.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Maybe try a different tack...

I've had good luck making soft shooting loads with Hodgdon Trail Boss powder. Reduced bullet weight and TB yields a soft recoil with relatively decent velocity that somewhat replicates Remington "Reduced Recoil" factory ammunition.

Maybe try a 110 or 125gr bullet on top of a max charge of TB in her .308? At closer ranges it might not make a lick of difference, of course you can always slip a full power cartridge in the magazine on the hunt...

Maybe worth a try.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Slippin' in that full power cartridge might get ya a night on the couch ! ......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast