Thread: Another Black Bear question

Default Another Black Bear question

OK, so I've never packed one out before, Goats yes, Brownie hides yes, deer yes. So average Kenai blackie, say 6'ish for the fun of it. This time of year, meat still on the bone, hide and skull. What kind of pack load you looking at with all that? I hate making multiple trips if I can just make one grueling trip down. Last animal I packed out was my goat, all 4 quarters on the bone, trim meat hide and skull in one load and I made it out, going to be worse than that?

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    OK, so I've never packed one out before, Goats yes, Brownie hides yes, deer yes. So average Kenai blackie, say 6'ish for the fun of it. This time of year, meat still on the bone, hide and skull. What kind of pack load you looking at with all that? I hate making multiple trips if I can just make one grueling trip down. Last animal I packed out was my goat, all 4 quarters on the bone, trim meat hide and skull in one load and I made it out, going to be worse than that?
    Make one trip then. I've helped on a spring blackie close to 6ft... but it took three guys to load it onto the ATV. Note: I'm not the strongest. I'm sure you'll figure out the number of trips when the time is right.

Way less than a goat,, about 100lbs plus or minus depending on size. If you can do a goat a blackie will be easy.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

That's what I was hoping Stid. I'm trying do do it with a bow so I figure I'll blow at least one stalk. Pack a few thing sup with me to overnight, wana make sure I can make it all out in one trip. I'm ready, can't wait, more ampd about this then I was my Goat hunt, which is real weird

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

The terrain will play as much of a factor as the weight of the critter as far as the ability to carry it out in one trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    That's what I was hoping Stid. I'm trying do do it with a bow so I figure I'll blow at least one stalk. Pack a few thing sup with me to overnight, wana make sure I can make it all out in one trip. I'm ready, can't wait, more ampd about this then I was my Goat hunt, which is real weird

Make your climbs count,, many Guys will spot one and climb up and not see it and come back down. They tend to graze in the same areas find a spot they are coming to and hunt it from up high, Just stay down wind.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I was able to get my wife's bear from two weeks ago out in one trip. We were 3,000' up and about 3 miles from the parking lot. It was heavy - probably in the neighborhood of 100 pounds (maybe a bit more), but doable. The hardest part was fitting it all in my pack. The hide and head take up a lot of room, and the quarters on the bone are awkwardly shaped. I ended up boning out two of them to get a better fit after carrying it about a quarter of the way.

Default Another Black Bear question

My 5ft7 sow, hide (skull and feet in) after rough caping and all the meat was 110# which included quarters, back straps and neck.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

When they get close to 6ft, just seems that with every extra inch - that can really pack on the weight.

One summer bear squared shorter than 5ft but still had more than 5 gallons of trimmed/cleaned lean meat (not including organ meats such as the liver or heart) for meat for grinding. The six footer yielded more than 10 gallons of lean meat for the grinder (not including the salvaged heart/liver meat or the premium cuts that were vacuum packed as roasts/steaks).

But these issues are certainly subjective ...

My friend killed one a couple of weeks ago in that size range and there's no way all four quarters would have fit in the pack we used with the meat on the bone. I'm thinking it will take some careful packing to get one out in one trip if the meat stays on the bone. The weight seems like less of an issue than the shape of a bear's legs and head (read: fat, round).
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

I agree. Sometimes you just can't physically fit it all in the pack without deboning something, and the hide seems to want to ooze out of the pack, making it hard to tighten straps and secure everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    The hardest part was fitting it all in my pack. The hide and head take up a lot of room, and the quarters on the bone are awkwardly shaped.

Also, just for kicks. A couple weeks ago, upon learning we were bear hunting, the bartender at the Denali Princess Lodge told my buddy and I about a 9' black bear that his "bear hunter buddy" shot near Byers Creek. Sounds like a tank....

I plan to hunt hard for bears over the next week and if im not mistaken you are only required to take out the front and hind quarters on a kp black bear. I already have a rug and shoulder mount so i will be hunting for meat. My plan if i connect will be to just take the hind fronts and backstraps out. If your not concerened about the hide this would lighten the load quite a bit. I know most guys the hide is important but i have enuf hides so just the meat is my concern. Something to consider for an easier pack out

Quote Originally Posted by geoff156 View Post
    My plan if i connect will be to just take the hind fronts and backstraps out. If your not concerened about the hide this would lighten the load quite a bit. . Something to consider for an easier pack out
    Isn't that leaving a lot of meat somewhere? What about neckmeat, tenderloins and such? If close enough to get out quickly, one trip will get all the meat out. I usually make two trips- 1) meat, 2) hide and head.

I've seen my furnance guy load a gutted bear onto a packframe (WHOLE) and get it on their back and get to moving out to truck. Guess the weight of frame at about 225 lbs maybe. just a guess.

Chris
    Last edited by akgun&ammo; 09-27-2012 at 05:21. Reason: can't spell

I did only one whole bear. She was only about 5'4", nice meat bear, last day of the season. Hide and all required meat was about all I care to handle. If it was not 10:30 at night and at least 2-3 brown bears in the area that we knew of, 2 trips would have been nice.

I have had 2 in the 7+ and 7- size. No way would I try to take one of them out in one trip.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by geoff156 View Post
    I plan to hunt hard for bears over the next week and if im not mistaken you are only required to take out the front and hind quarters on a kp black bear. I already have a rug and shoulder mount so i will be hunting for meat. My plan if i connect will be to just take the hind fronts and backstraps out. If your not concerened about the hide this would lighten the load quite a bit. I know most guys the hide is important but i have enuf hides so just the meat is my concern. Something to consider for an easier pack out

Not required to recover meat after May 31st in the KP, page 25 of the regs (or close to it). Required to take skull and meat or hide. So pick and choose the cuts you want, not that I'm condoning leaving all that good bacon for the crows. You are correct though, in the spring it's the front and rear quarters and the backstraps that are required.

No arguments here on the legal meat salvage requirements. I'd have no issues if the OP shot two and came down with one pack load or shot one smaller bear and salvaged a greater percentage of meats.