Thread: Set up question

Default Set up question

In a few days I will be heading out to a spot in the marsh / flats on where there is a waterway / slough that is about as wide as a road & makes a big U before tailing off 90 degrees to the right at the top of the U. Where the corner of the tail off is, is the widest & deepest section of water & it then slowly runs off into ankle high marsh with grass in 100-200 yds. With the addition of all the rain there is a fair amount of water in the grass that the ducks seem to be spread out in & feeding on.
    Would you set the decs in the wide deep water & sit down in the far end where they are feeding in hopes that the decs & motion brings them around & they fly over & land in the short grass to feed & the swim back. Or try & spread decs out in the short stuff, or split the difference & spread slowly along the entire stretch?

I don't think there will be many new birds around by this weekend so we are talking about the birds that are there now feeding & loaffing with out much pressure & a lot of area.

You need to go where the birds are feeding. Get in early and drop decoys right in the same spot.

If you are not able to do this..go upwind on the grass side as close as you can get to them and set up.

BLUF is if they are feeding..they are not going to move up to where you are..occasionally one group might swing by..but very hard to compete with the real thing. get in there and push em out..set up and enjoy the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by AKMarmot View Post
    In a few days I will be heading out to a spot in the marsh / flats on where there is a waterway / slough that is about as wide as a road & makes a big U before tailing off 90 degrees to the right at the top of the U. Where the corner of the tail off is, is the widest & deepest section of water & it then slowly runs off into ankle high marsh with grass in 100-200 yds. With the addition of all the rain there is a fair amount of water in the grass that the ducks seem to be spread out in & feeding on.
    Would you set the decs in the wide deep water & sit down in the far end where they are feeding in hopes that the decs & motion brings them around & they fly over & land in the short grass to feed & the swim back. Or try & spread decs out in the short stuff, or split the difference & spread slowly along the entire stretch?

I don't think there will be many new birds around by this weekend so we are talking about the birds that are there now feeding & loaffing with out much pressure & a lot of area.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Duckhunter01 hit it on the head. Put your decoys where the ducks want to be, and find a spot to hide close by.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

If they're in there feeding, they'll be back. I don't think you'd be hurting yourself by throwing a pair of dekes in the closest open water that isn't covered up with grass just for a little visibility, but it honestly sounds like you've got a pretty good spot, just flush em out, set up, and start bangin!

The last step is to post pictures!

Same situation in my neck of the woods - deep sloughs are easy to access with the boat, but the ducks want to be in the ankle high water where there's submerged grass. I've rigged up all sorts of blinds to hide in those open flats but I really need to invest in a layout blind to do it right. The mojo duck seems to help a lot when I'm out in the open like that as it keeps the ducks' attention on the spinning wings and off me.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

I always use my decoys as a blocking tool and stick them wherever I dont want the birds to land and leave the hole open, esp. if it is a small one. Use hi-visibility gear, drake decoys of different species, motion decoys, ect. Don't overlook the tried and true methods and rely on a mojo, get that jerk string out, go stomp up and muddy the water once and a while. Think outside the box. Put that stupid mojo away if it aint doing anything right off the bat because almost every duck known to man has seen plenty of them. If it isnt working immediately then it probably wont the rest of the morning.

I will add this...here in AK the mojo or spinner works pretty good most birds are new ones heding south..

if down in the 48 would agree, if not working in the first hour, bag it up. I leave them out all day most of the time..whole different forum
    Quote Originally Posted by AK_Marine View Post
    I always use my decoys as a blocking tool and stick them wherever I dont want the birds to land and leave the hole open, esp. if it is a small one. Use hi-visibility gear, drake decoys of different species, motion decoys, ect. Don't overlook the tried and true methods and rely on a mojo, get that jerk string out, go stomp up and muddy the water once and a while. Think outside the box. Put that stupid mojo away if it aint doing anything right off the bat because almost every duck known to man has seen plenty of them. If it isnt working immediately then it probably wont the rest of the morning.
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    I will add this...here in AK the mojo or spinner works pretty good most birds are new ones heding south..

if down in the 48 would agree, if not working in the first hour, bag it up. I leave them out all day most of the time..whole different forum
    In that other forum I'd emphasize that it's unlikely that a duck born not four months ago has seen very many mojo decoys. It's possible that some local ducks hanging around the hay flats get used to decoy spreads but not like the ones we used to hunt in TN. Talk about skittish...

But I'd bet you a six pack of Alaskan Winter that 99% of the ducks I've killed up here came to their first and only decoy spread.

Figure 1:
    Note the river channel in the foreground and the shallow water in the grass behind. Where do you suppose those fat mallards and widgeons want to land, and more importantly, where do you suppose one should hide a hunter and a solid black dog that's within 25 yards of that spot? The motion of the spinning wing decoy keeps the ducks' eyes focused on something besides me and that's a good thing
    IMG_1555_2.jpg

LMAO..true.. and I will NOT take you up on that offer...and when they do come in, it is 100% commited.. I've even seen ol'suzie try to push or pull her little ones away from that commitment, but they always break off and circle back...lol

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    In that other forum I'd emphasize that it's unlikely that a duck born not four months ago has seen very many mojo decoys. It's possible that some local ducks hanging around the hay flats get used to decoy spreads but not like the ones we used to hunt in TN. Talk about skittish...

But I'd bet you a six pack of Alaskan Winter that 99% of the ducks I've killed up here came to their first and only decoy spread.

Looks like a layout blind or burlap sack..lol

I like that bar coming out from the land there..great place for some goose decoys with a few dozen duck floaters..probably pull them over there..although that flooded grass does look like a large area..

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    Figure 1:
    Note the river channel in the foreground and the shallow water in the grass behind. Where do you suppose those fat mallards and widgeons want to land, and more importantly, where do you suppose one should hide a hunter and a solid black dog that's within 25 yards of that spot? The motion of the spinning wing decoy keeps the ducks' eyes focused on something besides me and that's a good thing
    IMG_1555_2.jpg

I wear a ghillie suit top, It works really well. I have been caught out in the open water with it on, and still had birds try to land next to me. I also use mojos, but pulled them out 2 weeks ago. They seemed to be flaring away from them, after the mojo was removed the birds seemed to come in better. I think they are starting to get wise to them at cottonwood.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

great idea in the GS..on the mojo, when the ice hits and temps drop try it again. works good

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I wear a ghillie suit top, It works really well. I have been caught out in the open water with it on, and still had birds try to land next to me. I also use mojos, but pulled them out 2 weeks ago. They seemed to be flaring away from them, after the mojo was removed the birds seemed to come in better. I think they are starting to get wise to them at cottonwood.