Thread: ED on optics

Default ED on optics

Doug

What is the real benefit of ED on spotting scopes? I ready to spend $650, plus or minus, and I guess Iím wondering out loud. Iím looking at the PF65ED and the MD 62ED. I really want a straight scope, but when it comes down to it I could let that go.

Will

Well I'll jump in and answer this one fella's. It's like everything else; if you want to spend the extra cash for the improvement, go ahead.

I guess to some degree the color and contrast is better.

That was what I wanted to know, how much better.

Thanks

Will

No Prob Will...

"Special optical glass containing fluorite, used in photographic lenses with the property of anomalous or extra-low dispersion (ED) of light. Optical glass disperses white light into a spectrum, so colour photographs would be blurred unless the lens is designed to bring two colours (wavelengths) such as red and blue to a common focus (achromatic correction). A small residual spectrum is left uncorrected, but this can be reduced by ED glass. Lens performance is significantly improved and more compact designs are possible."

It's good and it makes it "mo betta".

Thanks for the info, my deployment is just about over and I'm gettin a new stock for the 700 and a spotting scope, prolly a Minox. I found one of the straight 62 ED models, so I'm jumping.

Again thanks Snyd.

Will