Thread: swans truly are a gift

Default swans truly are a gift

This morning I had to put and old friend down who has been with our family 14 years. A hunting buddy, a trail buddy, a guard of the property and the neighborhood "old man" . I had dug the grave and put him in and covered him up, all my kids were there as we placed the last rock on the grave, I know most of you who read this probably wont think it strange, but four swans flew tree top high directly over us. This would not be strange if I had even ever seen a swan fly over, but it was absolutely the first time. I guess they truly are special. I just thanked God for the "fly over" and still am in shock.

Quote Originally Posted by widgeon 1 View Post
    This morning I had to put and old friend down who has been with our family 14 years. A hunting buddy, a trail buddy, a guard of the property and the neighborhood "old man" . I had dug the grave and put him in and covered him up, all my kids were there as we placed the last rock on the grave, I know most of you who read this probably wont think it strange, but four swans flew tree top high directly over us. This would not be strange if I had even ever seen a swan fly over, but it was absolutely the first time. I guess they truly are special. I just thanked God for the "fly over" and still am in shock.

Isn't that amazing? We actually had to put one of my hunting buddies (of the human variety) in his final resting place a few years back, a good waterfowl hunting buddy of mine. We were out at the cemetary and after the 21 gun salute, almost like it was scheduled, a flock of geese flew over honking away during a moment of silence. It was one of the most bittersweet things I've ever seen/felt.

I love nature's ability to make you feel insignificant when you least expect it. Sorry to hear about your dog, they aren't with us nearly long enough and I know it's always tough to put down that last rock.

Sorry to hear that man... I went through the same thing last year with my YLab of 12 years. We were at the cabin on the 4th of July. She passed at midnight that night..was hard on my twin girls who were little, me and the wife. We ended up getting her cremated there in Anchorage. I took an old wooden decoy I had, drilled a hole and filled it up with ashes..she will go with me on every hunt from now on.

Hard to do and hope your family heals, it will take time. I am going to get another YLab next year when I return..the kids just keep talking about Nina all the time. Amazing what an impact these animals can have on a family.

In regards to the birds flying overhead..pretty special indeed and sparked a memory of when my daughters were born. I had been with the wife for hours..decided to go home, get some stuff and return. When I walked outside a very large flock of about 30 Canada's flew directly over the hospital.. I just stopped, looked up and watched them go by as slowly as they could..was a pretty good feeling. God always finds a way to communicate with us, crazy I know..but this meant allot to me that day.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

I'm very sorry to hear about your hunting buddy. It's almost a curse that they don't live as long as we do. But they always live on in our hearts every time we are sitting in the blind. I still feel like my old dog Jake is sitting next to me when I go out. He used let us know the birds were circling, he would sometimes scare them away with his white tail because it would wag when he saw birds, and give you the funniest look when you missed a really easy shot. And he was a bigger waterfowl hunting fool than I was. Glad to hear the swans gave you some small comfort, and hope the memory of your dog lives on forever.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I'm sorry you lost your dog, it's really sad. You guys are killing me considering mine's 10 and I know time is running out.
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

Yep..and it is not cool..just enjoy every hunt you can brother. I had not idea it was her last one and the pictures under my account are some of the best i ever took of her. I have one of them in a 8x10 next to the Canvasback Ern I had made. That was the first time I had harvested a Can and her first time going out to get one. Was a very memorable hunt for me and her that day.

Quote Originally Posted by AK375HH View Post
    I'm sorry you lost your dog, it's really sad. You guys are killing me considering mine's 10 and I know time is running out.
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Sorry for your loss, ours has been hunting with her mentors since aug 22. DH01, great idea, prolly better then the pelican case mine is in while i hunt. There are certain things for all of us that spark memories, swans, geese, teeth marks in favorite boots, whatever it is, we are better for those memories and our friends are better for the ones of us. Again sorry for your loss. Brook, dead bird, back!

So sorry for your loss. God works in mysterious ways. I bet the flyover was Gods way of showing how wonderful your companion was. Truly worthy of being carried off by one of his most beautiful creatures.

JM

Truly sorry for your loss. I have yet to have a hunting buddy of the furry 4 legged nature. I am hoping to get me one after the first of the year. It can be very humbling when God shows you things like that.

Sorry for your loss Widgeon. Hunting dogs sure are special.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Just want to say thanks to all who replied, you guys are a special breed!

I don't even know ya and I feel terrible cuz I've been there, And will be again. Again, sorry for your loss.
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

So sorry to hear of your loss. But what a moment to treasure for the rest of your life. Truly amazing.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

What!!! Mike comes to the waterfowling pages...thats a first...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    So sorry to hear of your loss. But what a moment to treasure for the rest of your life. Truly amazing.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    What!!! Mike comes to the waterfowling pages...thats a first...lol
    Hey I grew up duck hunting! I tried it here, but options were a bit more limited than what I was used to (and I didn't like shooting birds in eclipse plumage). Gave it up and started big-game hunting instead!

Now I can't shoot a shotgun worth a darn...

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Might have to get you out there sometime..then. It helps when you only have to dawn a jacket, waders, shells and a gun and head out he door.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Hey I grew up duck hunting! I tried it here, but options were a bit more limited than what I was used to (and I didn't like shooting birds in eclipse plumage). Gave it up and started big-game hunting instead!

Now I can't shoot a shotgun worth a darn...

-Mike