Thread: information on moving.

Default information on moving.

me and my best friend have been thinking about moving to Alaska after we graduate from college. And we would like some information from folks that have lived and have experience of what Alaska life is all about. we will have our degrees in teacing and one in the medical field ( medical assistant and x-ray tech) and would like to know how the job market is and how housing is. any information would be great and helpful! thank you

There are several good threads on here recently started by folks just like you. Those threads contain some seriously indepth answers to teaching in AK questions. Search them out and gain a huge amount of knowledge.

I have only been up here 30 years so I don't know much yet.

"me and my best friend have been thinking.." I gather you are not teacher of the english language.

ok thank you!

I have heard the job market for teachers has gotten very competitive in the past year due to the economy in the lower 48 being tight and many experienced teachers moving to AK. I have heard unless you have a masters of education you are going have a tough time getting hired, and even with the masters there are no gurantees. The medical field is growing and finding a job shouldn't be too tough.

A ballpark overview of living in Alaska is the cost of living is higher than the lower 48, winters are long. It's a great place if you have a job with a good salary and enjoy the outdoors year round. It can be a real struggle if you don't have a good job and hence can't enjoy the outdoors. Even if you have a high paying job, it won't pay enough to offset someone who doesn't like the outdoors.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

For the person with a teaching degree, they may have a little harder time getting a job. My civilian co-workers daughter moved to Wasilla this summer, and was only able to get a job subbing. She has her masters in education, and that was it for her. Wasilla did lay off some teachers last school year I believe due to the funding to hire new teachers about three years ago, going away. For the medical person, should not be a problem for them getting a job at all.