Thread: Moving to Alaska

Default Moving to Alaska

hello,
    My name is Jared. I will be moving to Eagle River/Chugiak area next September. My BIL currently lives in Chugiak, I've gone over alot of stuff with him and my SIL but just want some second opinions. Ive learned alot from just lurking here and you all have great info on everything I enjoy doing. Ok first off wanted to know types of boots and outerwear to look into. Im moving from southern california so my winer clothes are limited and I dont want to be running around in hunting gear at work. I will be working for a telecommunication company in Anchorage and I will be working outside alot. Also good concealed carry weapons for me and the wife would be appreciated. Ive heard everything from you "need" a .44 mag to a 9mm will be just fine. Thanks guys in advance.

Well, your gonna need a bigger gun than that. With all the Grizz runnin around and the rabid moose you really should not settle for anything less than an M-60 and your gonna need hollow point boat tail tungsten carbide filled 5 million grain ammo loaded, probably couple million rounds should get you by. Then I would have a few side arms as well, big ones too.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHuntsman View Post
    hello,
    My name is Jared. I will be moving to Eagle River/Chugiak area next September. My BIL currently lives in Chugiak, I've gone over alot of stuff with him and my SIL but just want some second opinions. Ive learned alot from just lurking here and you all have great info on everything I enjoy doing. Ok first off wanted to know types of boots and outerwear to look into. Im moving from southern california so my winer clothes are limited and I dont want to be running around in hunting gear at work. I will be working for a telecommunication company in Anchorage and I will be working outside alot. Also good concealed carry weapons for me and the wife would be appreciated. Ive heard everything from you "need" a .44 mag to a 9mm will be just fine. Thanks guys in advance.
    I've lived in Eagle River for 11 years now, and I've never felt like I needed to carry a weapon at all anywhere or any time around town. To each his own, but I wouldnt stress too much about which shootin iron you should be packin.

For boots and outerwear suggestions, spend a few hours looking through the gear forum. There is lots of great information on there. The type you'll need will depend in large part on your intended use. Most of my gear is inclined towards mountains, as that's where I do most of my hunting, skiing, and hiking. If you're more inclined towards moose than sheep, that may shape how you prioritize gear purchases. There is no one-size-fits-all recommendations that will be worth anything - you kind of have to play with it at first and see what works for you. For your outdoor work gear, the key is going to be layers - get a waterproof shell, a fleece/softshell jacket to put underneath it, possibly a down jacket for very cold days, and perhaps another thin synthetic layer like the Mountain Hardware Compressor jacket. Use merino wool for your base layer shirt and you should be set for anything from -20 to summer time temps. Best of all, any of that stuff can be used for hunting gear - camo is highly overrated for most Alaskan hunting.

As Frostbitten noted, I wouldn't be concerned about packing a concealed weapon with regards to wildlife. If you like to pack based on self defense, then use whatever you normally would. If you're looking for a firearm to carry when hiking/fishing/etc, though, then there are endless threads on that in the shooting forum. The most frequent answer for a hiking sidearm is a 44 mag or a 12 gauge shotgun, though opinions vary widely.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin476 View Post
    Well, your gonna need a bigger gun than that. With all the Grizz runnin around and the rabid moose you really should not settle for anything less than an M-60 and your gonna need hollow point boat tail tungsten carbide filled 5 million grain ammo loaded, probably couple million rounds should get you by. Then I would have a few side arms as well, big ones too.
    hahaha! No realistically I should carry my FNAR for those short range confrontations. And possibly my .380 for long range huh?
    grew up around guns, most family is LE or Military. Just wanted to know what to carry. Im not your typical L48 guy, nor am I
    ignorant in any type of weapons system. Huge reason Im moving is due to Alaska's opportunity of teaching my child to be
    self sufficiant, and currently that opportunity no longer exists in California. Everyone here wants a hand out. But when I get
    up there maybe I can find some of you guys and make a range day out of it.

.44 outside of town, .45 inside town, .45-70 Marlin when on the ATV
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    .44 outside of town, .45 inside town, .45-70 Marlin when on the ATV

10mm outside of town, 10mm inside town, 10mm on ATV/boat.

Are you going to be working outside around the state, or just in the Anchorage bowl? I'd suggest getting your work clothes at Army/Navy. The outerwear I use when recreating is not what I'd use for working outside. I like to keep outerwear as light as possible, which is great for recreation, but will be destroyed when working, and work clothing is too heavy for recreating. Sierra Trading post is my favor source of outerwear and insulationg layers. Hunting clothing does not have to be camo, and it's nice to have clothing you can use for most activities vs. just hunting.

As far as concealed carry, while some alaskans may be XXXL whatever you consider appropriate in the lower 48 will be appropriate up here. And whatever you consider as an appropriate bear gun, will be a poor choice for concealed carry.

We moved up from California 15 years ago and my wife is from so-cal. It is very different in AK Make your wife agree that the two of you will give it two years to get aclimated. When looking for housing for Eagle River/Chugiak, try to find a place that has year round sunlight. There are houses in Eagle River that are in the shade for several months during the winter. It may not sound like a big deal, but when you have a house that is in the shade for several months, and you get a sunny day in the dead of winter, it stinks when you are in the shade.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    10mm outside of town, 10mm inside town, 10mm on ATV/boat.
    Glock 10mm's are a wonderful tool. They have been in my bear toolkit, and bad guy tool kit since I was 24. I can't imagine not owning a couple, and once we are stateside again I'll teach the wife to shoot it.

An FBI analyst once told me that a 10mm may or may not penetrate body armor. But the tissue and bones behind that body armor is in horrible shape.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin476 View Post
    Hahahahaha! That's funny.