Thread: New Boaters and Comm Equipment

Default New Boaters and Comm Equipment

It would be interesting to know what folks are using for communicatons capability during their river boating excursions? Hand held VHF/Mounted VHF/Sat Phone/CB Radio/GPS/Chart Plotting/AF/FM/CD etc. I'd also like to know how well they work? With the new season upon us, there are going to be a lot of new boaters (insert me here) on the waters and this sounds like a very good topic to discuss on the forum. I've also heard there are boater safety classes that are available, perhaps suggestions on this could be provided too.

Thanks

I have everything you listed except the cb radio and sat phone. I do carry a cell with an external antenna but it doesn't help as much as I would like. VHF is designed to be line of site so trees and mountains etc can be detrimental to distance. I can't call from my house to a buddies (approx 8 miles) but I can listen to the Coast Guard in Kodiak.

I just started a 14 day Boating skills & seamanship course recently. I have been boating a long time but with my recent adventures in the salt I thought it would be a good idea to brush up and learn something that may be of benefit. So far it has been basic boating info. but I am looking forward to the navigational part. The 2 reasons I am taking the class is to hopefully learn something of benefit and secondly to get a discount on my boat insurance. If you are looking at getting a boat or are new to boating it is probably to your benefit to take part in a class like this.

During the last class, there was discussion about equipping a boat and boat equipment. I know you asked about a cb radio for river travels but during the class it was strongly recommended that you don't use a cb radio as the coast guard will not/does not monitor it for emergency response.

After I bought my mounted VHF radio I wondered what I would use my handheld for. It was suggested that you still carry the handheld basically for 2 reasons. In case the boats battery dies you will still have a radio (happened to me last year) and if you end up jumping ship you can take the handheld with you. Good points I thought.
    Last edited by AKBighorn; 04-21-2007 at 10:18. Reason: addition

i have a hand held marine vhf radio and usually carry my cell phone and gps. even on north slope. problem seems to be not many river travelers have marine vhf where in pws, reseriction bay or cook inlet many folks have those. if more had them i would mount a mobile marine vhf in my jet boat.
    just getting into 2 meter radios, just bought moble one for one of my vehicles. if it is working out i may get a hand held version.....but have to past test first, lic. required for 2meter radios......but not required to know morse code any longer..
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

AKBighorn, where are you taking the Boating skills & seamanship course? I just got my first boat ever and would love to take the course.

Will

Good points but I think a cb is still a good thing to have on the rivers most other jet boater have then so if you do get into trouble plus Ron at the susitna landing has a base station and if your in trouble he will always help you or find soemone who can. I have both the vhf and cb and since Im a cop I also carry my portable work radio which I know will transmit from 10 miles up the Alexander creek to dipatch because two year ago we did a meth lab and it worked. Akbighorn where is the class and how can a person get information about it? Ron put on a jetboating class last year but Im not sure if hes going to do it this year?

Quote Originally Posted by willster33 View Post
    AKBighorn, where are you taking the Boating skills & seamanship course? I just got my first boat ever and would love to take the course.

Will
    It is in Anchorage 2 evenings a week. This class is full but they were talking like there would be another starting the first of May. http://a170.uscgaux.info/public_educ...pe_classes.htm should get you all the info you need.

Smile

Thanks for the info.