Thread: Side X Side for the Interior

Default Side X Side for the Interior

Took the wife in to look at two-up wheelers and she fell in love the can-am commander. So my question is for the Fairbanks area, what is better, side X side or 4wheeler. I do not plan on going in to the flats or any other swampy areas. It will be used mostly for running trails, overnight trips, and the occasional hunting trip.

Can I get this thread deleted. Just talked to a friend who saw signs in the white mountains that said no side X sides. Going to get a wheeler now.

Quote Originally Posted by saint_nick3 View Post
    Can I get this thread deleted. Just talked to a friend who saw signs in the white mountains that said no side X sides. Going to get a wheeler now.
    Not going to argue with what your friend told you he saw but consider:
    http://www.blm.gov/ak/st/en/prog/nlc..._vehicles.html

I have looked into that and the commander dry weight is right at #1300, so there wouldn't be much wiggle room with it. Thanks for the link Wet.

Wiggle room? As long as it is 1500 or under it is legal. The rule is vehicle weight PLUS gear.

Yes Mod, if the vehicle already weighs #1300 dry and I just add my self to the rig (#250), it would be overweight. I could not the the GVWR from the dealer but, the back box has a max weight capacity of #600. Therefore, the GVWR has to be greater than 1500.

Default Side X Side for the Interior

Yes Mod, if the vehicle already weighs #1300 dry and I just add my self to the rig (#250), it would be overweight. I could not the the GVWR from the dealer but, the back box has a max weight capacity of #600. Therefore, the GVWR has to be greater than 1500.
    From the DNR generally allowed uses:

Using a highway vehicle with a curb weight of up to 10,000 pounds, including a four-wheel-drive vehicle and a pickup truck, or using a recreational-type vehicle off-road or all-terrain vehicle with a curb weight of up to 1,500 pounds, including a snowmobile(or other tracked vehicle), motorcycle or ATV, on or off an established road easement, if use off the road easement does not cause or contribute to water quality degradation, alteration of drainage systems, significant rutting, ground disturbance, or thermal erosion. (Curb weight means the weight of a vehicle with a full tank of fuel and all fluids topped off, but with no one sitting inside or on the vehicle and no cargo loaded. Most highway rated sport utility vehicles are within the weight limit as are most small ATVs, including a basic Argo.) Use of larger off-road vehicles over 1,500 pounds curb weight, and the off-road travel of construction and mining equipment requires a permit from DNR. An authorization is required from the ADF&G-Habitat for any motorized travel in fish bearing streams.

I am not worried about the DNR definition, I am worried about the BLM definition. From the BLM website: "In general, motor vehicles with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 1,500 lbs. or less can be operated on lands along the southern and western boundaries. (The term GVWR is defined by the BLM as the total weight of the vehicle plus its maximum load/carrying capacity as specified by the manufacturer.)"

I am not worried about the DNR definition, I am worried about the BLM definition.
    I'm more worried about enforcement ... or that the State of Alaska or DNR adopts the BLM's definition.

Quote Originally Posted by Wet eNuf View Post
    I'm more worried about enforcement ... or that the State of Alaska or DNR adopts the BLM's definition.

Just talked to a real human a supervisor at fair banks nateral resources about the 1500 LB defiination. They keep it "light" to allow "jurisdiction". He pointed out in 25 years, there have been 0 charges. Use your head and you will be fine