Thread: Hammond River ?

Default Hammond River ?

Will after a disappointing moose and caribou season, i have decided on my budget and with my equipment I need to focus. I need to pick on hunt a year and do everything I can to increase my odds of putting protein in the freezer. With that being said, 2013 will be the year of the caribou! To accomodate my budget I am looking into a fly in float out hunt. I have read all the Ivanshak threads and the river seems to be VERYpopular. Studying the maps I came across the hammond river. I have done a few searches but have fund nothing. I need some help. Anyone with first or even second hand knowledge?

1) Is the river raftable and what class of water?

2) Any air taxi recomendations? I was thinking 70 degrees.

3) Is the area caribou country?

4) Any recomendations on put-in points?

5) Any other recomendations or points to ponder?

I have been in Alaska 5 years. I spend just about every weekend on a river. I float a 14 ft self bailer and I handle class 3 very well. I am swift water recue trained, a former EMT, was a 1st class naval swimmer and I have taken a number of wilderness survival courses. In 2012 I did a 7 day float and an 8 day float on the Fortymile.

Thanks in advance.

Are you talking the same Hammond river that crosses the Dalton north of Coldfoot? If so it looks lik it starts in gates of the arctic which is off limits to hunting unless you live around there as I understand. Also i can't speak for upriver at all but I've never seen any caribou around the road any time of the year that those rivers are floatable. Another thought is 70 degree north is based out of happy valley, 100 or so miles north of anything close to where you are wanting to be. Coldfoot is much closer, and might be cheaper... Just food for thought. That's my understanding of the area, there might be Doyon property around there too and that poses another problem... I could be wrong though (about any or all parts of this).

I would take a long look at doing a float out of Kotz. We can put you in the country for a lot less than you think. Bug unit and lots of game.

Walt
    northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    www.northwestalaska.net

Not caribou country. Bears, moose but you are in the five mile archery only zone unless you float out of it.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

thanks for the info. I am just trying to weigh options at this time. Looks llike the Hammond is not going to fill the need.

Quote Originally Posted by Gulkana Rafting View Post
    Bug unit and lots of game.

Walt
    northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    www.northwestalaska.net
    Bug unit??? I don't know if that would be a real selling point, or something you want to advertise