Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Twentymile goats

Default Twentymile goats

I am thinking of getting into goat hunting and see there is a registration hunt for the Twentymile River area open until Oct. 15. I don't want any "secrets" on where to get a goat, but if anyone could tell me the best way to access the area and if there are any trails, it would save me a day or two of looking....and some money and fatigue! Thanks.

BTW - living in the valley and not familiar with the area. I am going with a guy who has boated the river, but hunting the mountains is a different animal.

lots on here will add I would hope. I will assume from what I hav seen and heard is a boat is going to be a must to get back to where there are some decent goats.

the walk in looks to be roufh one with all the marshes an low areas.

sounds like fun, good luck
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

I flew a 18' inflatable canoe in one year with rusts flying service.. Dropped me off in Carmen lake.. hunted, and floated out.. with the current water levels, I wouldnt suggest floating out in a canoe.. it was sketchy with low water.. I did this hunt the first weekend of Oct years ago..

I also am hunting this area, but am going in on foot, its a pretty gnarly hike in. I found a few marked trails in some of the mountain valleys before you get to the river, but it was still hours and hours of bushwacking before even nearing goat country. Ive heard of guys going up and over winner creek and then down the river, but then you have to carry the boat. Anyone know if i can make it up the river with a small prop drive boat? or is it too shallow.

Usually too shallow for a jet. Those that take a boat up 20 mile do so with an air boat. Lots of goats around Carmen Lake ... for good reason. Easy way is to fly into and out of Carmen Lake. Rough, wet country. Good Luck.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

After studying the map a bit, if you dont have an airboat or a plane, the options look to be hiking up placer river valley and over, or even kayaking/boating across whittier and approaching it from that side, billings creek area. Me and my partner are dead set on getting in there on man power (we cant afford anything else) We might try to walk our kayaks up 20 mile and then float it back. I'll let ya know if we are able to find a decent way in.

Would a square stern canoe and 5 horse motor make it up the river to Carmen Lake, maybe lining through the shallow areas? I've looked at that area many times on a map but never tried it with the canoe.

Mart

short answer would be no.. IMO a canoe going up, or down is a recipe for disaster.. Only way to carmen lake is by plane, or a airboat.. or by foot.. the river is moving fast in the areas closer to the lake and has lots of bends, twists, braids and sweepers.

You can get into Carmen lake by jetboat; I have personally done it, and it was not all that sketchy. That being said, it might be drastically different given different water levels, but we did it in June/July, and it was fine. However, I am a glutton for brushy hiking punishment in pursuit of critters, and I wouldn't dream of trying to hike my way there. That sounds like an exercise in misery. Even if you got to the lake, you would then probably need to make your way around to chase goats. We even tried running the river above Carmen, but that got iffy pretty quick. Here are a few pics to prove it can be done. I would assume the weather is always like it was the day I was up there, so that should not be an issue. The first pic is looking south as you enter the lake. The one with the cotton grass is looking back north towards Twentymile.

Last edited by wykee5; 10-01-2012 at 14:58. Reason: edit photos

I have to agree plenty of people run jetboats up there and or to the glacier. There are even tourist companies that run people up in there.

have you taken a jet boat up to carmen lake in october? If so, then I stand corrected..But id be willing to bet that it isnt happeing.. But with all the rain we got this summer.. this year may be the year to do it.. In past years, No way would I take a boat up it.. unless you had a case of JB weld and a couple of high lift jacks you planned to use..

take it for what its worth, Ive flown in their twice, out once and rafted out once.. Both times in the first week or so in Oct. River levels are significantly higher in june and July.. peak tourist season.. Come mid Sept.. the glacier stops melting.. the snow and ice on the hills stop melting.. and less water runs into the lake.. therefore dropping the water level of the creek.. ..

Its kind of like the Sag and ivashak up on the haul road.. In early aug you could take a paddleboat up their toting a beer cooler.. Come Sept.. the river is Dry in some places..

It would be a miserable bush whack in their from the road.. its a alder tangle all along the river.. the goats I saw each time were on the back side of the lake.. way up high....in abot 4 or 5 different spots..

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    have you taken a jet boat up to carmen lake in october? If so, then I stand corrected..But id be willing to bet that it isnt happeing.. But with all the rain we got this summer.. this year may be the year to do it.. In past years, No way would I take a boat up it.. unless you had a case of JB weld and a couple of high lift jacks you planned to use..
    I have never even gotten out of my truck and looked at the river while passing by. Just stating I know people that run jetboats up there, but not sure what months they have done it? Good point about the dropping water levels. That is something anyone contemplating running glacier or snow fed rivers in Alaska needs to seriously take into account come late fall. Even the big rivers start dropping a lot once things begin to freeze.

the river under the bridge high or low tide is moving like a snail.. The year I floated it out I actually had to paddle the last 5-6 miles.. so essentially you cold take a boat up that far.. probably even a small john boat with a 10 hp kicker.. the first i'd say 2-3 miles down exiting the lake was a grab your oars.. hold on and steer... duck when you come aorund the corner as you will more than likely hit the bank and get pounded with alders.. I even got ejected out the back of the inflatable canoe.. Caught alder in the chest, EJECT... took a swim with a oar in 1 hand and chased the raft... about 2 bends down river I hit the bank.. crawled out and ran along the edge.. Could have been tragic.... That lake and river has haunted me.. I have yet to take a goat in their 0-2... but I will someday..

FYI, a plane crashed their years ago and sank like in 2001-02 era.. Bodies I presume are still at the bottom of the glacial silted lake.. I think its their spirits hauning.. because everytime I go in their its sunny and clear.. soon as I set up the tent its 60 mph winds and rain.. No joke.. first time I climbed all the way to tthe top 8 hours only to have my rangefinder battery die, I missed a monster billy 5 times broadside.. he never even flinched. That area has become a personal mission of mine.. its a running joke around the house..I could talk for days on that place..

have you taken a jet boat up to carmen lake in october?
    Nope, that is why I said I did it in June/July, and noted that water levels might have a lot to do with ease of getting up there. I always wanted to get up there in the spring on skis in crust snow, and then the spring I was serious about doing it we had an early thaw, and instead of snow, it was all flooded with water. I had an itchin to camp out for a night up there and roast a snowshoe hare over a fire, so I was also on a quest for white critters, but on a slightly less glamorous scale Then I ended up going up there for work, and that at least satisfied my urge to know what it looks like. Good luck on your quest. It's a cool area up there, and I got the feeling it sees very few people.

I've made that run in October with a jetboat.

their is a 20 mile up by fairbanks.. Are you referring to this one lab man? I beleive a couple guys shot a big brown bear last fall out duck hunting when it charged their boat..

the 20 mile were referring to is near portage glacier. basically between girdwood and whittier..

their is a 20 mile up by fairbanks.. Are you referring to this one lab man? I beleive a couple guys shot a big brown bear last fall out duck hunting when it charged their boat..

the 20 mile were referring to is near portage glacier. basically between girdwood and whittier..
    Those guys that shot the big brown bear while duck hunting were by the Placer or 20 Mile rivers down by Girdwood not the 20 mile up north. That was a big bear and some lucky hunters.

there is a 20 mile up by fairbanks..
    There is a Twentymile Creek near Talkeetna, a Twentymile Creek near Rampart, a Twentymile Glacier in the Chugach Mountains, a Twentymile Lake near Fort Yukon, and a Twentymile River that empties into Turnagain Arm. A state this big should have fewer duplicate names for geographic features
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

The duck hunter that shot the bear frequents this site, he's a fellow airboater. It was in fact the river down here south of Anch. as he lives in Girdwood.
    BK

Will it make everyone feel better if I say yes. . take a jet boat.. canoe, raft, or walk.. its a easy walk and I recommend it.. the mountain isn't steep either.. thousands of goats that will eat right out of your hand, its a great hunt for a Novice..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast