Thread: Honest questions about Taurus (44 Mags.)

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Honest questions about Taurus (44 Mags.)

Should I have any reservations about their quality, safety, or reliability?

Are they all ported?
    (All the ones on their website seem to be, but I thought someone told me otherwise.)

Thanks
    Smitty of the North

Default I've got a Taurus 9mm

They're guranteed for life, so I don't see anything wrong with the company backing they're own product up, I have the PT92 copy of the Berretta 9mm, as it was less expensive than the Berretta, & haven't had much to grip about the preformance of the weapon...I don't see why you should have any issues with the Taurus 44mag...

Smile

I have the 454 Taurus and really like it. Very tight action, no problems and shoots good. Its ported, so it doesn't roll up in your hand.

Default Taurus quality

The problem I have experienced with Taurus, both personally and by hearsay, is that their quality control is inconsistent. I have met and talked with people who really like their guns, though quite a number have admitted to not having shot them much, but also people who had problems from the get-go, especially with the revolvers. I would rather, especially with a defensive firearm, be more assured of reliability when needed, as with S&W, Ruger or Colt.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Should I have any reservations about their quality, safety, or reliability?

Are they all ported?
    (All the ones on their website seem to be, but I thought someone told me otherwise.)

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    You will not go wrong by getting a Taurus .
    They are fine revolvers . I have a couple friends that have them for over three years and not a lick of problems with them .

Can't help you with the porting ??? Not sure if they all are or not .

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Thanks Everyone:
    Does the porting create any problems, like extra noise or exhaust back atcha?
    Smitty of the North

Taurus quality is leaps and bounds from where it was when they first got started. My Dad had one of there first run revolvers, absolute junk. Several years ago he got one as a gift and he loves the newer one! Hes about the pickiest shooter I know so if they still had any problems he would have found it.

Thank You Rick P:
    Smitty of the North

Bought one of their 6.5" SS 44 mags a couple years ago and was extremely impressed with it's quality and fit. One of the best out of the box triggers I've experienced on a handgun, and very accurate. Nice out of the box grips, too. Wasn't wild about the porting, but it did reduce muzzle jump. It was a big gun and not overly handy for belt carry, which I prefer for riding in the truck, ATV, or horseback. I put a lot of rounds through it and it never even hicupped. You won't have to worry about shooting a Taurus 44 Mag loose...

Ended up horse trading it for something or other. My go-to belly gun nowadays is a 4" S&W Mountain Gun in 44 Magnum. I belt-carry it in a Bianchi Cyclone Cross Draw, and it's really a slick setup. Just carry it a touch ahead/behind my weak side hip (depending on my mode of travel) and forget it's there unless I need it...

Thumbs down Junk

JUNK......get a Ruger, the Alaskan would make a excellent pack gun.
    Alaska

Default BushMan...

& what criteria do you base your "junk" assesment on Taurus, with? Could it be non American bias?

Taurus backs there product up 100% with a gurantee for life, & there's no beating that type of gurantee, just ask anyone who owns Craftsman hand tools...

they are not a smith or ruger in the finish dept. but they are impossible to beat for the money. I have a 45lc snubbie in titanium and there seriously can't be a harder recoiling handgun anywhere. the gun is still tight and 100% functional. I would buy again without a doubt.

Default guarantees don't always cut it

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    & what criteria do you base your "junk" assesment on Taurus, with? Could it be non American bias?

Taurus backs there product up 100% with a gurantee for life, & there's no beating that type of gurantee, just ask anyone who owns Craftsman hand tools...
    When I break a Craftsman socket working on an airplane on a gravel bar in the middle of nowhere, what good does the guarantee do me? I'll buy Snap-On and not have to worry about it.
    That said, I have nothing against Taurus. They're good guns IMO, but not in the same class as Ruger, S&W, or Colt.

Quote Originally Posted by walk-in View Post
    They're good guns IMO, but not in the same class as Ruger, S&W, or Colt.
    just my .02, seems to be alot of good report on the Taurus lately and they have came along ways from what I have personally seen. I have owned the Raging Bull for a couple of days and immediately sold it. The cylinder lock up was getting loose quickly. Accurate and the porting helped greatly. In one weeks time I located a Super Redhwk 454 and sent it out to MagnaPort and reloaded. Very fine handgun and loved its accuracies, its strength but not its weight. Sold that too. Now I carry a Bisley tuned 45lc and/or a Smith 629-been looking and leaning toward that little Alaskan but hey its just a dream.

Default If Colt, S&W, Ruger don't guarntee their work...

& they break down out in the field, what good are they? At least with a Taurus, you'll get your money back...

So what class does that put Taurus in? A class all by themselves, Period!

"They're good guns IMO, but not in the same class as Ruger, S&W, or Colt."

I have 3 different Taurus handguns (PT111, 44mag and 1911) and I like them all. They are all well built and are some of the most reliable guns that I own.

Default Taurus, not the worst, could be even better

I like some of their revolvers. Their automatics, for me, have all had some bug or another. Their .40sw's autos shake themselves apart in no time. Need to use good old LocTite on all the screws..

But, you could spend more and still not be happy with a gun from SW, Ruger, or Colt..

I have a 6.5" ported Taurus 44 mag and carried it for years. It was a tad on the heavy side but I delt with it. I have a couple hundred rounds through the gun and I never experienced a problem. The recoil was easily managed, especially compared to my 329PD. Yes, Taurus has a great warantee but so does Highpoint, and I can buy one of their semi autos for under $100. Just food for thought.

I had a problem with my 329 and S&W emailed me their UPS # and had it turned around in just over a business week. That was great service. I have no problem carrying either.