Thread: Kifaru pack question

Default Kifaru pack question

For those of you that have or have seen both the T1 and DT1. What are the differences? Aside from the removable Duplex frame on the DT1. Pro's and Con's to either of them. Right now out of the two I am leaning towards the T1 for the 2 lbs weight savings and I don't really need the removable frame just wondering if there is a reason to continue thinking about the DT1.

Now for the curve...I am really leaning towards the KU5200 over the above so what are the pros/cons as compared to the above?

Here is what I am wanting the pack for: Caribou and sheep 10 day trips where a lot of walking might be involved and storage for gear and an animal if I get one.

Thanks

I have used the KU5200 for the last two seasons, and my husband Luke has both the T1 and DT1. I can't really compare the two timber lines much for you, but I have used the T1 on a couple of trips so feel comfortable giving some assessment as compared to the KU pack. Both are well made packs, and carry large and heavy loads (my max is round 70lbs) comfortably. The KU pack is incredibly light, weighing in at just around three pounds. Downside is few pockets to organize your gear, but that is easily solved with a couple of KU long pockets for gear and a pouch added on for smaller misc items. The timberline has more internal and external pockets and sleeves, but is almost twice as heavy. My guess is it might be superior to the KU for really heavy loads (say triple digits), but I don't think you'd risk failure with the KU at heavier weights it just might get harder to stabilize the load. I have found I have to pay a little more attention to loading the pack to ensure the heaviest items are a little higher and closer to my body or I end up feeling like the pack "wags" when I hike, but this is probably true of most packs in that they pack loads better with some intentional packing.

Here we are with the KU and DT1 in action....

Becca thanks for the response the load capacity is something that I was curious about I think Luke had said the same thing in another thread somewhere else I read before posting this yesterday. Kifaru on their site states the load capacity of the KU5200 is 150lbs and the capacity of the T1 is "100 pounds plus". I am wondering if they can carry the same weight load but the T1 just does a better job stabilizing it.

Floorguy, PM me your number and I'll give you a shout on my thoughts on the packs. Easily to talk it over on the phone than type it out online.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Floorguy, PM me your number and I'll give you a shout on my thoughts on the packs. Easily to talk it over on the phone than type it out online.
    PM sent

Stid2677 - replied to your pm as well

WhiskeyJack

I use the larger of the packs pictured in post #2 and I love it. It is the first pack I have used with the hydration bladder which has been a real surprise.