Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Meat Bull Thread

Default The Meat Bull Thread

We see a lot of nice big bulls on this forum. Moose and Caribou both. I figured I'd start a Meat Bull thread dedicated for the smaller ones. I shoot the first legal one I see and I hunt any bull areas. Call me a meat hunter who hopes he might get a big one. I can't ever recall passing up a shot on any legal animal because I thought he was too small. Maybe that's why I've only killed one 50 incher but hey, I've been fortunate to have meat in the freezer for the last 20+ years since I started hunting in Alaska so I'm not complaining. Lets see those meat bulls and hear the stories!

Here's one I got last week, my 4th solo meat bull (moose). I just couldn't let him walk. I really wanted to call one in to handgun range this year but it didn't pan out and the freezer's getting low. He was out in the open walking across a dried up lake at about 1000yds out. No cover for a close stalk, ankle high grass and flat ground. I was trying to head him off and get to an old beaver hut for some cover and a rest but he knew I was there and seemed to be getting a little nervous and walking with more of a purpose than just a slow mosey like when I first spotted him. He'd move, I'd move, he'd stop, I'd stop. Finally I ranged him at 365yds and took a keeling shot when he'd stopped broadside. The bull did a 180, took 2 steps, stopped, butt went down slowly and then he flipped over backwards dead. He topped off our freezer and is taking up space in a few other folks freezers who needed meat as well. Life is good.... And I recovered another 200gr Accubond from the 325wsm on a 300+yd moose kill. It weighs 150gr, nice little mushroom and was probably at about 2200ish fps on impact. Great performance. Blew through his chest and the far shoulder and stopped under the hide.

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

This was my meat bull from this year. I wasn't too proud to post him in the photo gallery (as all pictures should be!), but I'll mention him here as well. I had helped my friend take her first bull (a really nice one) the previous day, and Sunday was unfortunately going to be spent mostly driving home. My wife had given me clear instructions not to pass up a small one, as they're tasty and it would open up the opportunity to hunt goat on the following weekends. Wouldn't you know it? This little guy ran across right in front of us while trailing a cow and a calf. I just couldn't pass up the opportunity.

Sure look like trophies to me .... Nice thread Snyd...

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    I figured I'd start a Meat Bull thread dedicated for the smaller ones.]
    Could you be more specific? What is the dividing line between a "nice big bull" and a meat bull?
    Thanks Perry.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Don't have enough space on the wall to hang my antlers, so my trophy room is my freezer.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Could you be more specific? What is the dividing line between a "nice big bull" and a meat bull?
    Thanks Perry.
    Naw....I'll leave that up to hunter
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

DSCN0873.jpg

My "meat bull" turned out to be a "meat cow"!.... tasty, tasty.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Here's our meat bull from this year. This is my boys first bull, and it was unbelievably exciting to be there with him!!

2012 moose.jpg

I hunted a big bull for three days of our 8 day trip this year. Kept seeing him in the same unapproachable place each time. I could have marched out through 3/4mile of thigh deep swamp and shot him, but knew even without having shot a moose before, that the pack out would be miserable and take a minimum of 2 more days. So deciding to let him be until I had explored the other end of the area we were hunting I set out in the opposite direction at around 11am, after watching old Bigboy and his gals bed down for the day.
    After finding a nice tree to watch a meadow from I laid down at the base of said tree and took a nice midday snooze. When I woke up and scaled the lookout tree, what do you know but there's a fork by paddle bull calmly feeding 100 yards away. Considering he was only 75 long steps from the nice dry trail, and I was hungry, I decided to let drive at him. One shot was all it took to get the work started, and even though he was a little over a mile from camp, it was a mile on a game trail with no wading involved. We had him back to camp and hanging by 3pm the next day and a quick call to our air service and they came to take the meat out and move us to a better area for my partners to hunt bears.
    Me and the Lady got him cut and wrapped in two long nights and he now resides in the freezer. The antlers aren't much for the mantle but the steaks sure are good. Amazingly enough there was absolutely NO and I mean Zero, meat loss from the shot. By blind luck I managed to thread the 250gr roundnose from my 35 Whelen right between 2 ribs on both sides of the chest, might have ruined an ounce and a half of rib meat tops. Seen a bunch of shot critters over the years but never one this clean, even neck shots ruin more.

So yeah I guess meat bulls are okay with me too.

this year was meat cows. proxied one for an "elderly" gentleman, and both my hunting partner and I punched tags as well on Chena Hot Springs cow moose. All three were Real close to the truck. and it was fairly easy to get the whole animal loaded up and hauled to my place for further reduction. I posted a photo earlier and will try again here.

this one is in the dark because we stopped and ate dinner before starting to make her into smaller pieces.
    Other two we harvested first thing in the morning... even with throwing the tenderloins on to to grill for lunch... we were done in daylight!!!

Chris

Great thread for sure!
    Lets face it, a quest for big antlers is more to stroke our egos than anything and heck, the animal should get the trophy for growing them and avoiding death long enough to grow them big!
    I wouldn't pass a big ole racked brute for sure, but nothing wrong with being proud of all the game we take! Well done fella's!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Default Caribou meat, freezers full

We don't pass up meat at our house either.
    BK
    Attached Images Attached Images

once again, in the traveling to my "researched" hunting area (this time only 1/2 a mile from parking spot) I down another forky. Granted like most I would love the chance at a huge antlered bull the only way that is gonna happen is if i see him before i see the normal (for me)spike/fork.
    And yes, that is the road. Drug him there from 35 yards out. only bad part was he went down in a beaver pond, had to practically swim to him to tie off a rope to him and then used my truck to pull him to the butchering spot.

Attachment 63842

Default 2012 Meat Bull

Our meat bull for 2012! As we would like to have a trophy bull our objective is to fill the freezer.

IMG_0194.jpg

Attachment 638472012 Moose.jpg

Im like Snyd, I cant eat the horns and My walls are full.. I shoot the first legal moose I see.. 25 Aug I awoke to rain after watching 2 legal bulls bed the night before.. this guy and a 50"+ bull with 2 or 3 browtines.. Opening morning this one stood up first, so he got the ride home in the rhino.. The big boy will have to wait till next year..

Couple weeks later driving up to the denali with my kids to hunt caribou, this bull was standing along the road a couple hundred meters off in a beaver pond.. My middle daughter jumped when I asked ok, who wants to shoot a moose? Never did make it up their yet to hunt caribou.. have to wait till season opens back up and see what we can find.

Mine is a perfect fork, pretty decent sized bull, wide symetrical rack.. My daughters has 3 on one side and a spike on the other.. on the drive home we stopped at a pull out to get a pic in the light.. Not sure what she was doing as she kind of looks like a midget in the photo..

377635_10151047516316586_1433395132_n.jpg

We generally take the first legal bull we see, but with the antler restrictions, we've been relying on cow tags as of late. We finally put a bull down this year since we had a couple of any bull tags. I elected to go hunt a different area, and my dad and his friend were headed out to our normal area at first light. After 6-7 years in moose camp with us, Jim finally bagged his first bull. He had the any bull tag, but this guy was legal regardless. He was with another bull the same size, but this one drew the short straw and offered the first good shot.

I did a proxy hunt for my grandparents and knocked a cow down on August 31st. Tried the head shot thing and just rung her bell the first shot. She was down, but got up when I was 10 yards away and charged. I had just jacked another round to finish her off, and had to shoot from the hip to put her down for good. That shot hit her between the eyes. I think I'm done with head shots.

My daughter has the late season cow tag that goes through November 15, so we'll try to get one more down for the winter. We were out the other day looking, and only came home with a grouse.

Great thread! Full freezers are always a good thing. Seems to be with moose the trophy is the distance you have to pack him out. Think I had a 30-40 yard pack to the boat this year

My meat Bull is still out there, let him walk. Good thing I like Halibut. Congrats to all the successful hunters and huntresses.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Smile My Meat Bull

I had my eye on a bigger Caribou when this one offers me a broadside shot at 50 yards. I never pass on a sure thing. 2012 Caribou.JPG

Awesome thread Snyd! Only one I feel comfortable showing my first two big game animals. First one was my first and only kill with my bow-- at 5yds! He just kept coming toward me. By the time he realized that the bush he was looking at had eyeballs, it was too late. about a hundred yards from the truck.

Next guy was a hike. 6.4 miles off the Haul Road. 150yard broadside shot. Made for an "interesting" hike out.

Super pumped to bring home meat for the freezer for the first time!!!
    Colby Jack
    Last edited by Colby Jack; 09-25-2012 at 14:15. Reason: huge pics

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast