Thread: Is the Lower Kenai Closed To Boat Traffic Due To High Water?

Default Is the Lower Kenai Closed To Boat Traffic Due To High Water?

I heard through the grapevine that the Kenai may be closed to boat traffic? If so, at what level might they re-open it? That would really put a damper on the trip if we can't even use the boat

Edit: Yep, closed until further notice...
    http://peninsulaclarion.com/news/201...sed-to-boating

This could be a short closure as I predict the river will drop quite fast. Only the 2nd time in history the river was closed to boat use. Happened in the 1995 flood. Riverfront property owners are thankful for this closure. This will prevent boat wake damage to eroding banks whom many have spent thousands to protect. Keep this in mind when they do re-open to boat use. Stay more in the middle of the river and you;ll get a friendly wave from property owners. I'm sure good fishing will be here through October. Good luck.If you have a down day, head towards Homer and just south of Anchor Point stop in at the NORMAN LOWELL ART STUDIO. mR. lOWELL IS A YOUNG 80+ AND YOU WILL HEAR HIM TALK ABOUT WHEN HE FIRST GOT HERE, HOMESTEADED, HIKE UP IN THE MOUNTAINS AND SKETCH A SCENE THEN COME BACK AND PAINT IT. hE HAS BEEN COMMISIONED By LARGE CORPERATIONS, BANKS ETC. AND SOME OF HIS PAINTINGS RUN IN THE $100,000.00 i QUANRANTEE you will call this one of your trips highlight.Welcome back to the Kenai, stay positive and you'll have a blast.

yeah I agree I think it will drop fast as well with temps dipping at night, if we could just get the rain to stop I think it would clear up in 3 or 4 days on the upper any way not sure about the middle with skilak being so big it might take a bit longer.

I really hope things recover quickly. We intended to start fishing Thursday morning the 26th. 3 days of closure from then would be a quarter of our fishing time! Ugh, dang the luck. A week ago we were discussing the challenges of fishing in the low water levels.

I'd like to see cold temps, help the river drop and I'd rather hunt and fish in 30 degrees and snow than 35 and rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    This could be a short closure as I predict the river will drop quite fast. Only the 2nd time in history the river was closed to boat use. Happened in the 1995 flood. Riverfront property owners are thankful for this closure. This will prevent boat wake damage to eroding banks whom many have spent thousands to protect. Keep this in mind when they do re-open to boat use. Stay more in the middle of the river and you;ll get a friendly wave from property owners. I'm sure good fishing will be here through October. Good luck.If you have a down day, head towards Homer and just south of Anchor Point stop in at the NORMAN LOWELL ART STUDIO. mR. lOWELL IS A YOUNG 80+ AND YOU WILL HEAR HIM TALK ABOUT WHEN HE FIRST GOT HERE, HOMESTEADED, HIKE UP IN THE MOUNTAINS AND SKETCH A SCENE THEN COME BACK AND PAINT IT. hE HAS BEEN COMMISIONED By LARGE CORPERATIONS, BANKS ETC. AND SOME OF HIS PAINTINGS RUN IN THE $100,000.00 i QUANRANTEE you will call this one of your trips highlight.Welcome back to the Kenai, stay positive and you'll have a blast.
    We have visited the art studio in the past, it was quite impressive. We may end up in Homer, towing the boat down there and fishing, if the river doesn't open back up. Not sure what other choice we might have.

Quote Originally Posted by KenaiKeys View Post
    We have visited the art studio in the past, it was quite impressive. We may end up in Homer, towing the boat down there and fishing, if the river doesn't open back up. Not sure what other choice we might have.
    Not that I think the fishing will be any good on the Kenai but it is not closed to fishing. If you have a driftboat you could fish, or you could bank fish.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by tcman View Post
    Not that I think the fishing will be any good on the Kenai but it is not closed to fishing. If you have a driftboat you could fish, or you could bank fish.

?? A drift boat is still a boat. True that bank fishing would be legal, albeit extremely difficult since the bank is way up in the trees...

The upper in the last 24 hrs has dropped from 19,400 cfs to 17,800. so its coming down but rain is in the forcast. The middle/lower is still running 28,800. It's going to be a week or more i'm guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    The upper in the last 24 hrs has dropped from 19,400 cfs to 17,800. so its coming down but rain is in the forcast. The middle/lower is still running 28,800. It's going to be a week or more i'm guessing.
    Wow! All I can say is that I hope you're wrong. A week long river closure would be devastating for us and our trip. I don't even want to think about it...

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    ?? A drift boat is still a boat. True that bank fishing would be legal, albeit extremely difficult since the bank is way up in the trees...
    Oops, you're right. ALL boat traffic. The report I heard said the closure would mitigate bank erosion due to boat wakes. Made the assumption that drift boats won't cause wakes so they were okay. Sorry for the misinformation.

Anybody have a guess when boats will be allowed again?

I have no idea when the Big K will be opened to boats. Here's the hydrological prediction for it:
    http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydro...afc&gage=keya2
    Going by the assumption that they likely will not lift restrictions until it falls below "action stage", it looks like it's gonna be a while until it opens up again. I agree with PD, IMNSHO, you're looking at least a week out, if not more. And that's barring any more significant precip in the mean time.
    PS: Flood Warning still in effect through Sunday 4 PM