Thread: Where to Fish if Middle Kenai is a Wash Out?

Default Where to Fish if Middle Kenai is a Wash Out?

So, yet again our annual fishing trip to the middle Kenai river is coinciding perfectly with a history making flood. The first time around we arrived at the cabin in Kenai Keys August 17th, 2009 to find the water up in the yard following a glacier dam burst. This time the heavens have opened up and brought the river even higher by the sounds of it, probably nearly up to the cabin at this point.

First time around (in 09') despite my concerns, the silver fishing was excellent during the very high water period. We had a blast pulling fish out from under flooded timber and other spots that were dry only a few days earlier. This time around I'm a bit less optimistic. Between the low numbers of silvers in the river and the crazy-high water, I'm wondering if silver fishing is even going to be an option?

If the middle Kenai turns out to be a total bust where would all of you recommend we head to make the best of the situation? We're going to be there for 2 weeks so we will be fishing one way or another. We have truck/trailer/boat (18' alumaweld V-hull with 50 hp.) and would be willing to tow it wherever the fish may be. We have talked a lot about focusing on some saltwater fishing but I have some reservations about the weather cooperating considering our boat is only an 18 footer.

So, any fall-back-plan suggestions that you may offer up would be greatly appreciated. If you can help us to salvage our beloved Alaska fishing trip I would be forever indebted!

you could always fish the lower end, it takes some time for they wall of water to affect the whole river system.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Hitch up the boat and head down to Homer. You don't need to run far at all to find something to catch.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    you could always fish the lower end, it takes some time for they wall of water to affect the whole river system.
    If the middle is dead I'd expect the lower to be worse? I am still hopeful that the water will clear up above the Killey and the high water will bring in a push of silvers.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Hitch up the boat and head down to Homer. You don't need to run far at all to find something to catch.

I think that could be a viable option if the river is shot out for the first few days. Only problem is that I haven't fished out of Homer so don't really know where to start. We're going to take a charter out of there to try to learn the ropes so hopefully that will help. Do people regularly fish out of Homer with boats in the 18' class? I plenty of boating and saltwater fishing experience, just from a (much) warmer climate

They just closed the Kenai River down to ALL boating until further notice for public safety! I can't remember them ever shutting it down before. If I were trying to save a trip I would watch the weather reports and TRY to hit the salt. I hear that Seward is still a mess from flooding so Homer may be your only saving grace...

I would imagine that the river will drop pretty quickly after it crests considering how low it was prior to the heavy rains. I would be surprised if the river isn't back open by Thursday or Friday. Could be wrong but I hope not...

Do they still allow drift boats on the river? I figure the closure is to guard against boat wakes washing onto peoples property.

I'd go to Hidden Lake and troll for lakers and rainbows... at least its a day of fishing and you'll be closer to the cabin. If the Kenai is closed to all boating I imagine its a safety concern; high velocity/volume and debris makes navigation challenging and hazardous...

Hidden Lake should fish pretty good this time of year, Crescent Lake Grayling would also be fun...
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by KenaiKeys View Post
    I think that could be a viable option if the river is shot out for the first few days. Only problem is that I haven't fished out of Homer so don't really know where to start. We're going to take a charter out of there to try to learn the ropes so hopefully that will help. Do people regularly fish out of Homer with boats in the 18' class? I plenty of boating and saltwater fishing experience, just from a (much) warmer climate
    Absolutely, I've seen 16-18 ft boats out of Homer plenty of times. Leave the dock early, keep an eye on the weather and enjoy. You really don't need to run more than a few miles. There are a bunch of guys on here from Homer and the surrounding area that might give you an idea of where to drop a line.