Thread: Good or Bad (Motor to Boat Ratio)

Default Good or Bad (Motor to Boat Ratio)

Will a 80 horse Yamaha Jet push and plane a loaded 20' long 72" wide jon boat up or down stream with relative ease? (2 guys, gear and a moose or if really lucky 2 moose) Would this boat be to big for interior rivers?

You ought to be able to get 2200# of gross weight on plane with that mil, ie weight of boat, engine, fuel, crew, gear etc.

I'd imagine with two moose onboard, you'd be struggling to make it upstream.

No problem. I have been pushing the same boat with a 40 yamaha jet. two guys, two large dogs and duck hunting gear. I was surprised how well it pushed the boat. I am going up to a 90 jet this year, I can't wait!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I'd imagine with two moose onboard, you'd be struggling to make it upstream.
    Just curious, what size would you recommend for all that gear people and
    moose meat?

Figure out the weight of the boat, engine, fuel, crew, gear and moose meat, and divide it by 30. That would the hp of the powerhead I'd want, and you might want to divide that weight by 25 to allow a bit of extra power.

Thus I'd think you'd be looking atleast 115 horse, if not upwards of 150. Jet pumps loose about 30% of the engines power.

If it's 80 at the jet, I think you'll be okay. An 80 head would be equivalant to about 55-60 at the jet, and should do alright until you put that second moose in it.

And no, that boat won't be too big for interior rivers.

Two guys, gear, including extra fuel, and two adult moose? Boat and motor with fuel alone will weigh more than 1,000.
    I dont think it would work, but this is just an opinion. Load the boat up with water containers and see what it will do before going hunting
    Tennessee

I hunt with a couple buddies that have a twenty foot jon with a ninety two-stroke. Loaded light to medium, it cruises 28 and burns between 5 and 6 per hour (closer to six) with one moose you're gonna do okay but will be hardly nimble, with two....I'd get a long head start before hittin the river.....and I wouldn't come off step.

I think this boat is a great setup and a nice mix of economy and power and a nice cruising speed. IT also handles pretty well in medium size rivers. ANy less and you are limited on cargo....any more and I would need a second mortgage to pay the fuel man....

I run a 20' with an 88 Johnson. It is an older motor, but 1,200 pound is my limit. The jets just can't handle tons of weight. I think it would be very tough to get 2 guys and 2 moose in your boat with an 80. With a 90 it would be a long shot, and with a 115 I could just about see it.

-Eric