Thread: Constant speed

Default Constant speed

Is a constant speed prop desirable for a bush plane?

A CS prop is just a component of certain airplanes, some of whIch are good bush airplanes. The prop itself isn't the deciding factor. Me? I love the constant speed on a 180, which is a pretty darn good bush plane. A Cub? No thanks. I prefer the simplicity of a fixed pitch Borer prop.

I have found a Citibria GCBC with an 150HP 0-320 engine with a constant speed prop. I am just wondering if that would be a good combination.

Smile Constant speed Prop

As "Mr Pid" said depends on the plane and what you want to do with it.
    CS props atempt to give you the best of both worlds "high RPM" for short field TO and "high speed at cruise". That being said the CS prop and gov. due add weight and have a much, much higher repair cost, for those little ooops that are guaranteed if you do much "bush" flying.
    All that in consideration I have a Maule with a CS prop, makes a good bush plane, however if I had a choice of any plane I would take a Super cub with a 160hp and a CS prop. But that is me and the type of flying I like.
    The GCBC w/150hp and CS prop should make a fun, fast, good perfoming plane, just depends what your going to do with it