Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger LC9 Issues

Talking Ruger LC9 Issues

Wanted to post my experience with the Ruger LC9..... Don't buy this gun... If you did and don't like it, here is what I did with mine.

The trigger is HORRIBLE... It had an 11pound trigger pull, lots of take up slack, and didn't break until near the end of the trigger guard.
    I sent my hammer and trigger bar into Galloway Precision to have worked on. Before the work, I couldn't hit a pie plate at 10 yards. Now I can shoot a 3inch group , but it still has light strikes. Out of 7 rounds 3-4 rounds won't go off... It is a known issue and now I need to purchase a shorter firing pin spring to fix the light strike issue . The tigger slack is now gone and now breaks much sooner. It was worth having done. Just need to fix the light strike issue now. Shame on Ruger for bragging up their new conceal and gun last year. I saw a couple ladies shooting theirs at the range yesterday and they were facing problems as well.

I ended up buying a Springfield subcompact Xd in 9mm and it shoots great and goes bang ALL the time.

The trigger on the S&W'S MP 9mm sucks as well. I bought an Apex tactical trigger upgrade $165 kit and will now keep the
    gun, it shoots like a dream now.

Quote Originally Posted by ValcoBayrunner View Post

The trigger is HORRIBLE... It had an 11pound trigger pull, lots of take up slack, and didn't break until near the end of the trigger guard.
    Not in defense of the LC9 (or the LCP, or any other of the plastic pockets) but they are what they are. LDPPs and at the range they will be used, trigger pulls are meaningless.

Practice can cure flaws in mechanics.
    Ken
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ken-Wi...10532992360444
    Y'all can watch my antics on Wild West Alaska, Animal Planets new hit show.

If you want a gun with a decent trigger, don't buy one with a poor trigger. Especially a semi auto pistol. It is easier and usually cheaper in the short and long run to buy the gun that has ALL the features you want in the beginning, as opposed to buying a gun that sucks in several areas and then "fix" it after you have bought it and found out is is unacceptable to you.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I like mine. Nice and flat easy to hide and at 7 yards I have no problems with the vitals of a human with the single action trigger. Fits in the waist band easy. I also bought the Mitch Rosen holster for special occasions and put a Crimson trace on there, for special occassions. I ain't cutting 10 rings at 20 yards, but I'm comfortably heeled up close in a pinch. I didn't mess with the trigger or anything else and mine always goes bang when I want it to. I think the LC9 is good for it's intended purpose and cheap enough to stash a couple around where I might need one.

With with the trigger slack gone and the pull lightend up, do you carry concealed with one in the pipe safety on or off? Did it light strike before you had the trigger "fixed"?

I learned that lesson, the hard way...... but mechanically that gun should fire every time, not part of the time....Im hoping that trigger spring
    will fix that issue. Hopefully if someone is thinking about purchasing one of these, dry fire it several times. The LC9 is think and concealable. Some stores like Walmart and Fred Meyer lock the triggers and you can't dry fire them. It didnt seem that bad at first, but others have said the same thing. The M&P trigger is mushy/gritty.... but I had read S&W made improvements on their new body guard........

Thanks for the advice ..... APEX sells a lot of those upgrades for the M&P, Randy made a huge improvement.

yes it did light strike before i sent it in..... Eric from Galloway Precision said Ruger's with serial number's below a certain range ran into the
    issue with light primer strikes. When you remove the round you can see a small dent in the primer. I was shooting UMC yellow box 9mm 115 grain FMJ. I also read that people that shoot bellot & celliot (use softer primers) have primer material plug up the firing pin hole and you have to take the gun apart, remove the firing pin and clear out the hole. I do now shoot a tighter group and will keep it for conceal carry. I fits in a chest pocket nicely, but Im not carrying with one in the pipe.

Did you mean to say double action trigger instead of single action ??, it is double action trigger pull all the time on mine, not like my sig which is double first time and single action for the remaining rounds.

I love mine, heck of a good little gun and bangs every time for me. Yea itís DA only and a heavy long pull just the way I want it so I donít shoot myself when itís riding around in my pocket. Itís no target gun, itís an arms reach Iím about to die if I donít kill them first down and dirty fighting tool. If I had light strike issues it would go right back to Ruger in a flash. Also Iíd never buy a gun from anyplace that uses trigger locks and isnít happy to remove it so I can inspect the gun or that has minimum wage part time people that couldnít find better jobs removing and replacing the firing pins in the back room with a Chinese made butter knife . . .

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    I love mine, heck of a good little gun and bangs every time for me. Yea itís DA only and a heavy long pull just the way I want it so I donít shoot myself when itís riding around in my pocket. Itís no target gun, itís an arms reach Iím about to die if I donít kill them first down and dirty fighting tool. If I had light strike issues it would go right back to Ruger in a flash. Also Iíd never buy a gun from anyplace that uses trigger locks and isnít happy to remove it so I can inspect the gun or that has minimum wage part time people that couldnít find better jobs removing and replacing the firing pins in the back room with a Chinese made butter knife . . .
    +1 Mine works great also!
    America is unique because we embrace Freedom.
    Freedom simply means you have choices, you can have things you want.
    Freedom does not guarantee safety - your choices do that!

I did mean DA and stand corrected. Mr. Fields makes the great point that the trigger is safer to carry when there is a round in the chamber and the weapon is carried for instant defense at close range. I don't understand the notion of concealed carry without a round in the chamber but, I suppose thats best with a light trigger and a loaded gun in your chest pocket. Trying to get that little sucker out of your pocket in a hurry, a person could fire it prematurely and wound himself or an innocent bystander in the process. Without confidence in it firing everytime, it is not good as a defense weapon anymore and is possible that Ruger might honor the warranty for the misfire problem but after youv'e modified it but I doubt it.

Wanted to post my experience with the Ruger LC9..... Don't buy this gun... If you did and don't like it, here is what I did with mine.

I sent my hammer and trigger bar into Galloway Precision to have worked on. Before the work, I couldn't hit a pie plate at 10 yards. Now I can shoot a 3inch group , but it still has light strikes. Out of 7 rounds 3-4 rounds won't go off... It is a known issue and now I need to purchase a shorter firing pin spring to fix the light strike issue . The tigger slack is now gone and now breaks much sooner. It was worth having done. Just need to fix the light strike issue now. Shame on Ruger for bragging up their new conceal and gun last year. I saw a couple ladies shooting theirs at the range yesterday and they were facing problems as well.

I ended up buying a Springfield subcompact Xd in 9mm and it shoots great and goes bang ALL the time.

The trigger on the S&W'S MP 9mm sucks as well. I bought an Apex tactical trigger upgrade $165 kit and will now keep the
    gun, it shoots like a dream now.
    It has a horrible trigger if you expect a two pound, crisp trigger.
    Did you not try the trigger before you bought the gun?
    Are you not familiar with the DAO/Striker fired lock-work system?
    Light strikes come from someone trying to redesign it to get a light trigger pull. Now you know why it had 11 pound pull. They work the way they work. The design is sound and for anyone who can shoot a handgun and can adapt to the trigger, it is what it is a cheap functional pocket pistol. For use when in dire straights, last ditch gotta-save-my-own-ass-situations.
    It's funny how accomplished handgunners can shoot them quite well but FNG's seem to gripe about the trigger (and offer other excuses) and hate every handgun that doesn't have a nice, crisp trigger.

Now with all your fixes your inexpensive pistol cost as much as a new Kimber 1911. Nice plan.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Well I guess you accomplished hand gun readers can't read either. It had light strikes with the 11 pound trigger pull...This gun wouldn't save
    your ass when it doesn't fire every time. I'm following ruger's recommendation to replace the firing spring. It is a design flaw.

My opinion here means nothing, just like yours doesn't.... I'm just trying to warn others looking to buy a defense pocket pistol
    To maybe shoot purchase someone else's such as Dimond, Kahn, or brand X . Want to buy my lc9 ? Same goes for S&W m&p series, the pro now has a new trigger system as well already. Sorry if I offended you experts, I wasn't expecting 2lb trigger either, 5-6 would have been nice which it is now.

Thanks for the advice. I think you got a good batch they made. I still like it, just need to get the new spring that ruger recommends.
    I like ruger rifles and revolvers and so fare like my sr 1911 and sr 22.

Hadn't heard or read about any problems with the LC9, but don't have one nor do I really care about them. So I searched the interwebz and found that Ruger says the trigger pull is 8 lbs, +-1. So 11 pounds is 37% above nominal. I saw 3 Ruger forums, plus TheFiringLine and 1911Forum (on the first two search pages) that have multiple reports of light primer strikes, so ValcoBayrunner did not cause that problem. Plus reports of trigger 'fixes' from Ruger. The design obviously was NOT sound, or gee, there wouldn't be so many problems, and fixes. Finally, it sounds like ValcoBayrunner -is- familiar with DAO/striker fired systems. Most have 5-8 pound trigger pulls, not 11 pounds.

Could he have been a bit less strident, and a bit more clear in his post? Yeah. Does that make the information any less correct, or less important for other LC9 owners? Nope.

Want to buy my lc9 ?
    Sure, as long as itĎs ďas newĒ in appearance with all the stuff I'll pay new wholesale (same money I can buy a new one for) and you pay any shipping. Whatís the M&P ya got?

yes it did light strike before i sent it in..... Eric from Galloway Precision said Ruger's with serial number's below a certain range ran into the
    issue with light primer strikes. When you remove the round you can see a small dent in the primer. I was shooting UMC yellow box 9mm 115 grain FMJ. I also read that people that shoot bellot & celliot (use softer primers) have primer material plug up the firing pin hole and you have to take the gun apart, remove the firing pin and clear out the hole. I do now shoot a tighter group and will keep it for conceal carry. I fits in a chest pocket nicely, but Im not carrying with one in the pipe.

Did you mean to say double action trigger instead of single action ??, it is double action trigger pull all the time on mine, not like my sig which is double first time and single action for the remaining rounds.
    Why not send it back to Ruger? They fix their own guns all the time. If you have an actual complaint about the gun, send it back. Call them they will even send you a box and paid mailer.

But the trigger system is what it is. To change to lighter springs or other parts because you don't like the trigger pull or can't hit with it isn't going to improve the reliability any. They are worthwhile functional guns but very inexpensive and can't be expected to be as durable as something made more substantial that's cost more. You can't make a silk purse from a sows ear.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Well I guess you accomplished hand gun readers can't read either. It had light strikes with the 11 pound trigger pull...This gun wouldn't save
    your ass when it doesn't fire every time. I'm following ruger's recommendation to replace the firing spring. It is a design flaw.

My opinion here means nothing, just like yours doesn't.... I'm just trying to warn others looking to buy a defense pocket pistol
    To maybe shoot purchase someone else's such as Dimond, Kahn, or brand X . Want to buy my lc9 ? Same goes for S&W m&p series, the pro now has a new trigger system as well already. Sorry if I offended you experts, I wasn't expecting 2lb trigger either, 5-6 would have been nice which it is now.
    Iím not an ďaccomplished hand gunnerĒ but I have 3 or 4 handguns, and I donít think youíre expecting too much, as you describe it.

Both my Autosí are DA only for the First Shot, and they are surprisingly accurate shooting SA. Enough so, that if either had adjustable sights, I could bag a squirrel at close range.

I appreciate hearing about your experience. Let us know if Ruger makes it right, or you get the problem solved some way.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I like mine just fine, and it took very little practice to get used to the trigger pull. There is a lot of slack, but it's easy to take that up and know when it's about to break. I've fired MANY, many different guns in my time, with vastly different triggers. I think this experience helps a bit when encountering a new or different trigger. Shoot often, and shoot a lot of different guns. Then the variations in trigger design and feel won't mean much. And my LC9 has yet to exhibit a single malfunction of any kind. To the OP though - I'm glad you like that Springfield. They make a fine pistol!

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

I also appreciate the info, itís always good to have info and I donĎt think ya ask too much of the gun. However it isnít fair play to badmouth an entire model line as if they are all like the one unit you have without first giving the manufacture a shot at correcting yours.

If they canít or wonít make good then slam away for all I care but first donít ya think it might be wise to give them a little chance to fix it. I know first hand Ruger will make their product right within their specs which is why Iíd buy it. That and wholesale stocks of LC9 are low at the moment so I know I could make a nickel on it eventually.

Ruger is sending me out new firing pin spring. Might take a week or two to get it they said. I will post once I replace it and fire it.
    I like the way the gun is shooting group wise now....I am giving them a chance, I like ruger firearms in general. I will try another brand of ammo
    as well. Shot a black bear walking at 400 yards with a ruger synthetic 30-06 and that gun and my ruger 300 win mag are very accurate for a rifle less than $500.

Well the firing pin spring arrived in the mail on Friday, that night I installed it in the gun. It was about 1/4 inch shorter than the original one. I took it to the range and fired it on Sunday. Out of 5 magazines I only had 1 misfire/light strike. Maybe it is now fixed mechanically. My buddy shot it and he didn't care for it much either. Will shoot it some more, we ran out of range time as we had been shooting our rifles all day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast