Thread: Cargo Platforms

Default Cargo Platforms

We recently purchased a Kenai Drifter 14-26 raft with a self bailing floor, and was wondering what you fellows opinions are regarding cargo platforms?

At this point we've been told we need and we don't need.
    It appears to me a cargo platform would extend the life of the floor, and reduce future problems.

And has anyone had experience with oar saddles, instead of a frame. Weight is a concern for a fly in.

Your input and avice would be appreciated!
    Thanks,
    David

Default Cargo platforms on self-bailers

Quote Originally Posted by wyoming dave View Post
    We recently purchased a Kenai Drifter 14-26 raft with a self bailing floor, and was wondering what you fellows opinions are regarding cargo platforms?

At this point we've been told we need and we don't need.
    It appears to me a cargo platform would extend the life of the floor, and reduce future problems.

And has anyone had experience with oar saddles, instead of a frame. Weight is a concern for a fly in.

Your input and avice would be appreciated!
    Thanks,
    David
    David,

I would strongly suggest using cargo platforms in both ends of your Kenai Drifter. Impact damage to your floor is but one reason; another has to do with carrying game meat on the floor of your boat, if you are hunting. You should always support your load, regardless of whether you're in a bailer or a non-bailer.

As to the Oar Saddles, I heartily recommend them. For those who don't know, any oar boat needs a complete rowing station, comprised of oarsman's seat, solid anchor points for oarlocks or pins, and a foot bar. The Oar Saddle provides only the anchor point for your oars- you will have to figure out a seat and foot brace. Keep in mind that you'll need to install eight D-rings to your boat to provide anchor points for the Oar Saddles. I personally know Kent Rotchy, the owner of the company, and he will take care of you.

The NRS Longhorn frame might be a good alternative. You might have a look- it takes up very little room in the aircraft.

Hope it helps! Best regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

To expand on what Mike said about suspending gear. Some of the people I usually go with always just pile their gear on a self bailing floor, but I could never recommend that. The chance is too high for a rock to push hard enough to compress the upper & lower floor layers together against any hard gear. This often results in a hole either on top of the floor or on the bottom. I've seen lots of small holes punched this way, but they still keep piling their gear on the floor.

I once went with a guy that did the same with a non-self bailer, as he didn't have a frame to support the gear. What a disaster that was. After the first day of patching & paddling, we made a makeshift frame out of logs and rope. It wasn't graceful, but it did work.

The oar saddles look like a good idea for a light weight fly-in trip, but like Mike pointed out, you have to do something about mounting a seat. Making an all paddle raft instead of oars makes it even lighter. But the lack of a frame also provides one less thing to suspend your gear from. The latest Paddler Magazine has an article about three rafts doing the Hulhula in ANWR with only paddles. Some interesting rigging, as there were 3-4 people and gear in each raft. But they did have something for cargo frames.

Default re: cargo platforms

Thanks Mike and Jim for your weigh in on the subjects!
    Mike I was looking at the NRS cargo platforms checking the specs and sizes and it seems they actually are only a couple feet long maybe 26", of course this will work well for the immediate bow and stern but leaves a gaping section in the middle.
    We recently purchased a cargo net form NRS which appears will work nicely for the mid section of the raft, the original intent was to throw over the top of our load.

Currently we have the NRS Big Horn 1 rowing frame, on the raft. We could drop a crossmember and it wouldn't weigh much more than the Longhorn.
    We had discussed using paddles rather than oars to minimize weight, but were mainly concerned about the ability to handle the raft in windy conditions.

All things considered the oar saddles look practical however, I'm just not quite sure I can justify the additional expense since we wouldn't need them often.

Have you ever tried the Cataract Mini Mag Oars?

Thanks fellows,
    David
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Oar saddels

Dave~ I have a Soar Levitator &The Oar saddels are great! especialy for doing fly out Float Hunt's.Can't beat them,Small,compact & light.Might have to add a couple of D-rings for the outside as for the inside we run our straps through the self bailing holes,work's fine..To figure out your seating Isn't that hard. I Use a 12'' X48'' 1''1/8 plywood sprayed with Rino lining with 7/8'' hole's drilled in each corner for straps Works great. Check out Larry Barrtlet's web site he has some good Cargo net's that I use and also he has some good book's also. www.pristineventures.com Good luck.Reilly

Default CPS System

[quote=reilly;93610]Dave~ I have a Soar Levitator &The Oar saddels are great! especialy for doing fly out Float Hunt's.Can't beat them,Small,compact & light.Might have to add a couple of D-rings for the outside as for the inside we run our straps through the self bailing holes,work's fine..To figure out your seating Isn't that hard. I Use a 12'' X48'' 1''1/8 plywood sprayed with Rino lining with 7/8'' hole's drilled in each corner for straps Works great. Check out Larry Barrtlet's web site he has some good Cargo net's that I use and also he has some good book's also. www.pristineventures.com Good luck.Reilly[/quote

Thanks Reilly for your input.

I have read Mr. Bartlett's book about float hunting Alaska and found it to be very helpful and informative, a good read.

The CPS system he has seems to be the best system I've seen thus far for the stern. It provides a suspended bottom as well as flaps to throw over the top, looks like a great system if I'm understanding this right.

Seems for a 2 person float the regular cargo platfom for the bow should work well since the passenger will be sitting forward.

Of course this still leaves an area directly forward of the rower which needs a CPS system.

After looking at Bartlett's CPS system I emailed them for additional info.
    Thanks Reilly for sharing and your time responding,
    David

Default Comments on cargo platforms for round boats

Quote Originally Posted by wyoming dave View Post
    ...Mike I was looking at the NRS cargo platforms checking the specs and sizes and it seems they actually are only a couple feet long maybe 26", of course this will work well for the immediate bow and stern but leaves a gaping section in the middle.
    ...Have you ever tried the Cataract Mini Mag Oars?
    Hello Dave,

The intent of a cargo platform on a round boat is to load the gear, etc. in the bow and stern sections- not the middle of the boat. The middle is where the oarsman usually sits, along with a passenger or two. You need that space for your feet. Rigged this way, the boat will balance properly, without being too heavy in the bow or stern. That's why you won't find cargo platforms designed for the middle of a round boat.

That said, you could use an NRS cataraft cargo platform for this area and it would probably work with some modifications.

I see you are running your oar stands quite a bit aft of the center of the boat. This can work well on slower Class I rivers, however on whitewater you might consider a center placement that allows you to spin your boat more effectively. You need quick reaction time in whitewater, and being able to spin and back-row downstream comes in handy sometimes. Just a thought.

Good luck with rigging this up!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Well finally got the stitches out of my hand this week so the wife and I loaded up Saturday and floated most of the day.

The NRS cargo platforms worked just fine, some of the CPS systems I looked at wouldn't fir out raft.

Still going to make some more modifications to the frame though, time to get the ole welder out and do some retro fitting.

Anyway thanks all for your input on the cargo platform systems.
    David