Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time for a new Pack/frame...advice

Default Time for a new Pack/frame...advice

I've never bought a nice pack or frame before and hauling out my last half of my caribou this year the horizontal bars on the frame finally broke at the welds. I know I want a pack that has the seat that comes out the bottom of the frame to hold game from sliding but besides that I'm not really sure. I've read a lot about Barnies packs but really don't want to spend $600+ on a pack. I was looking at the Cabelas Guide Series II with frame for around $300, on sale now for $240.

Thanks for your input.

I love my badlands pack from sportsman. I don't do a whole lot of hiking but it works great. Lifetime warranty on it to. You can throw it in a fire and get a replacement

I bought a CABELA'S ALASKAN OUTFITTER PACK AND FRAME this summer and put some miles on it this fall.

PROS: Solidly built, like the rifle sling, like the built in pack cover, like having a meat shelf, lots of space in the pack. I really found it helpful being able to take the bag off quickly. Makes it really easy to keep it loaded up with gear and then just pop it off when it's time to pack meat. I also like the meat carrying system on it. It's worked very slick so far.

CONS: Belt struggles to stay tight when carrying really heavy (in excess of 90 lb) loads. Bag itself is very heavy and the whole thing (frame and pack) weigh more than 12 lbs.

I was looking for something big, tough, and affordable when I bought it. I've put miles on it and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it if you don't mind having a heavy pack.

Buy the Barney's frame and put your old pack on it. I did that this year to save weight and it worked great. I have hunted with guys using the cabelas and they worked just fine, especially at 1/3 the price !
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

For packing meat, pretty fond of the Bull Pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacherman View Post
    I've never bought a nice pack or frame before and hauling out my last half of my caribou this year the horizontal bars on the frame finally broke at the welds. I know I want a pack that has the seat that comes out the bottom of the frame to hold game from sliding but besides that I'm not really sure. I've read a lot about Barnies packs but really don't want to spend $600+ on a pack. I was looking at the Cabelas Guide Series II with frame for around $300, on sale now for $240.

Thanks for your input.
    Buy a used barneys

I like the Barney's pack. The straps have lots of padding. It seems to save your shoulders when you have a hind quarter on your back. It won't save your knees or quads though.

Never found a better frame.
    http://www.bullpacs.com/
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Ditto on the pack. really enjoyed the capbilities of this pack, but wnted something lighter for the high altitudes..went with the Kuiu 6000 have not looked back since. I f I have to ever get another one it will be a Barneys...seen them put through hell.

Quote Originally Posted by border collies View Post
    I bought a CABELA'S ALASKAN OUTFITTER PACK AND FRAME this summer and put some miles on it this fall.

PROS: Solidly built, like the rifle sling, like the built in pack cover, like having a meat shelf, lots of space in the pack. I really found it helpful being able to take the bag off quickly. Makes it really easy to keep it loaded up with gear and then just pop it off when it's time to pack meat. I also like the meat carrying system on it. It's worked very slick so far.

CONS: Belt struggles to stay tight when carrying really heavy (in excess of 90 lb) loads. Bag itself is very heavy and the whole thing (frame and pack) weigh more than 12 lbs.

I was looking for something big, tough, and affordable when I bought it. I've put miles on it and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it if you don't mind having a heavy pack.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

I have the cabelas frame pack and it is heavy but will carry all the meat you want to carry, I had a full caribou loaded on mine and carried it just fine... My buddy was sick and I thought one heavy trip was better than two medium trips, plus it was easy walking and only about 3/4 mile... Not comfortable at all but wasnt expecting that kinda of a load to be real comfy anyways... It is a good pack just a little heavy works for me becuz I usually float hunt and it mostly sits in the raft until needed... good luck

I have the Cabelas also. Yea a little heavy but holds everything I need. As far as the belt or waist support. I replaced it with one from a Kelty pack I bought in the 80's. It just seems to fit better, sits just right. Properly adjusted, the load rides on my hips and the pack is only supported by the straps.

I took the pack itself to Alaska Tent and Tarp, had them sew the top of the bag on permanent and add some straps attachments. I can now secure my bow on the back for hands free climbing if I need to.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

+1 for Barney's. You can't go wrong. They are a bit pricey but well worth it. I would also prefer to support the little guy when I can. His customer service can be beat as well.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Never found a better frame.
    http://www.bullpacs.com/
    I have bought 3 of these and really like them as well....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Teacherman View Post

Thanks for your input.
    You get what you pay for. The Cabela's pack you refer to appears to be a Barney's knock-off. Bob's packs used to be manufactured by Camp Trails, but they took the design to Cabela's and made a cheaper version of it, calling it the "Alaskan Guide" model. I don't personally know anyone in the guiding business that uses this pack. On the other hand, most of the guides I know use Bob's packs. I have two; one of them is over 15 years old (maybe 20?) and it still does the job very well. I have never had a mechanical failure with this pack. No ripped out straps, no broken welds, not even a broken pin.

Bob is now building both his packs and frames elsewhere, and the difference in quality really shows.

Some time ago we did a review on this pack, and it would be worth your while to check it out. You can find it AT THIS LINK. My recommendations for you are as follows:

1. Get the freighter frame. You can strap a day pack to it to carry your game bags and field care gear. The frame has a shelf to support the meat and plenty of tiedown points to secure your load. What you're after is good support of the load, and adjustments so the pack fits your body. You will be carrying very heavy loads at times (I have packed out 14' inflatable boats, 165# moose quarters and other heavy/ bulky stuff on mine over the years). So you need something that can not only handle the weight, but can do it in a way that doesn't tear up your body. The frame comes with a riser bar on top. I tossed mine, because it gets hung up in the heavy alders. The price for the frame and straps is $285, about what you'd pay for another brand, but it will last your lifetime.

2. Get the Super Moose pack. This is his most basic pack, and is the one I've always used. It will hold a moose quarter just fine, and will serve you well for many years. And no, it doesn't cost $600! Bob's retail price is $485, which includes the frame. This pack is simplicity itself. It's just one main bag and two side pockets. There's also a small pocket behind your head, which is handy.

Take a word of advice from someone who has worn this pack like a garment for many years. There's a reason why most of the commercial operators use this pack, and why every time the "pack question" is asked, the "Barney's Pack" comes into the discussion. And it's not a "Ford versus Chevy" question. It's more of a "Ford versus Datsun" question.

If the prices of this pack are still out of your reach, you would do well to look on the used market, as was suggested.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Mike my 1980's bought Camp Trail pack frame exactly matches my Cabelas pack frame. To the tee! No difference.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Mike my 1980's bought Camp Trail pack frame exactly matches my Cabelas pack frame. To the tee! No difference.
    Yeah, I could have the details messed up (it's my memory- Bob gave me the whole story once). The original "Barney's Pack" was made by Camp Trails. I believe Bob had Camp Trails make some modifications to their basic design. Those mods made their way into the Cabela's pack, and that's about when Bob started having his packs and frames made elsewhere... If I remember it all correctly.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Yep 240Z against Stang.Mostly depended on number of curves
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Another vote for Bullpack. We had over 150# Brown Bear hide on it, and it made it doable. I've had others and don't think they or I would have held up the 5 mile pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Yeah, I could have the details messed up (it's my memory- Bob gave me the whole story once). The original "Barney's Pack" was made by Camp Trails.
    So the old Adak Navy Exchange purchased camp trails frame pack lost somewhere in all the "stuff" in the back of my garage is the same frame as a modern Alaska Guide or Grandfather of a Barnies'? Hmmmmm....maybe I just need a suspension/harness upgrade.

I recall hauling a few caribou on that thing 30 years ago and it sucked. But then hauling caribou off the Adak tundra always sucked back then since none of them were mine.

I have a kelty pack/frame that served me pretty well for several hunts, I packed some heavy loads. After a goat hunt last year, the frame got to the point where it was getting pretty dinged up and I started thinking about a new pack. I ended up buying a barneys yukon pack and couldn't be happier with it. That being said, for the price, the kelty served me well and if I was on a budget and needed a pack, I would think about getting one. I still have mine, but I am going to hang onto it and pass it to my son when he gets a little bigger.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast