Thread: looking for rugged impeller for J-Max

Default looking for rugged impeller for J-Max

I just got off the river having started the trip with a new Solas YG-DF14/20 impeller. we did 2 no power crossings over 2"- rocks and about 1"of water, when we put the power back to it all the fines that had been crammed through the stomp grate did a number on what i thought was a stainless impeller. Does anyone know if there is a true stainless or are they all aluminum with a shiny finish? I would like to find a better impeller

I have a J-Max and have the same issue. Unfortunately the Solas is stainless its just so thin that it gets eaten up right away. There is a thread on here inquiring about interest in having a thicker impeller built for the sport jets. I don't think there has been enough interest yet for the offerer to pursue the development of the impeller casting.

Thanks I did inquire about the new thick castings. the solas that I dinged is as soft as aluminum and very easy to file. all the stainless that ive seen cant be touched with a file

Does your impeller look like the one I posted on his topic?

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...d.php?t=116975

I cant tell for sure but yours leading edge looks more bent than mine. Mine looked more hammered. I paid $250 with shipping. Im starting to think that I bought a basic. nowhere on the box does it say stainless. thanks

I have the same problems. Solas DF series is made overseas and is not very good quality. The J max jump is designed for a wave runner and the whole pump is the problem, its cheap. The reverse design stirs up rocks directly into the intake and tears it up just at idle
    Did you have the impeller "fit" to the ring prior to intall?
    I spoke to the guy who could get the Jmax SS impellers cast, he needs to have 8 or so paid for in advance @$700-800 a piece. Id be interested in one but, im hesitant due to additional tuning that may need to be done, as the impellers havent been tested with the pump. For it to hold up I think you would have to get the Rivas SS wear ring due to the cheap factory one.
    Ive done lots of research and made some minor changes to the pump on mine and found some improvement. I made a different reverse bucket and used a waverunner steering nozzle
    I found that its easiest to get the impellers rebuilt and buy a new wear ring. The rebuild seems to be more durable. Free shipping and best prices ive found for factory and Solas parts is Surdyke Yamaha

Does anyone know why the intake grate is so large compared to the SJ and other jet intakes? It seems to me a slightly smaller opening and tighter grate would help with Jmax issues. It may plug off easier, but it would "protect" that chinese Solas SS and cavitate less on the waves

Thanks for your input. I just got my Jetcraft 1875 extreme this summer and have a lot to learn, my wear ring looked good and the new impeller fit nice and tight but will look into a new wear ring with my next new impeller. How do you fit the impeller to the ring?

Frontier Fab in wasilla will weld the edges up and grind so the impeller fits super TIGHT. I dont know about in Soldotna., but no one in ANC will do them. I took my brand new solas to them, they re-pitched (13/21 i think)and welded it up for around the cost of a whole new impeller. Big difference in performance over stock/new, its worth it.
    I always have a spare ring and fit impellers with me.
    AK Remote--Where do you run your boat on the kpen, aside from lakes? If you find someone in Soldotna to rebuild, please let me know.

There are no rivers on the kpen that i know of. looking for a calm day to head across the inlet to check out some rivers. Ive been out of homer twice this summer and up to delta on the tanana.