Thread: Species sub forum

Default Species sub forum

Has it ever been proposed that the hunting section here have a species specific navigation option? It would be nice for viewers to select by that option.

I like this idea,...as most of us live in areas that have a few certain species, strong in their area, and hunt plans

is fun to read of Musk Oxen, Caribou, and Moose hunts,...

but i am definitely sorting through to focus on Mt. Goat, Blacktail Deer, and Bear Stories, as an Island, Coastal Hunter
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I think things can get broken down forever in to smaller and smaller groups. I would read all post on bears killed under fifty yards with over hundred year old cartridge wearing no camo or plastic boots.A good sub forum for it would be scope no scope with a sub forum for fixed with sub forums Weaver,redfield etc
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I have seen several requests to this nature. I think even if they weren't broken into sub-forums, it would be nice when starting a thread one could select terms to associate the post with. By this I mean like on craigslist where the title comes up in a search but also you can select the key words that are active for that listing as well. Just a thought, but it seems like it would be a nice compromise to keep all the hunting stories together, but allow it to be easily sorted by any user Into "goat" "sheep" "deer" etc....

As a thought...maybe folks could include species in the title? Some do and some don't but perhaps better titles could help sort things without resorting to breaking hunting down into a dozen more subcategories.

Just thinking out loud.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

It is possible within vbulletin to set tags for posts. I don't recall if we are still using it but at one time you could select "firearm" in the classified forum to identify a gun for sale. I would support implementing that to the existing one before I would adding any additional sub forums. We already have something in the neighborhood of 100 individual forums if I recall correctly.

Where do I post the bear/caribou/sheep hunt? Same story in each sub-forum? Edit out the parts that are not species specific in each forum? Part of the fun is reading each story no matter the species. There may be something in there to learn.

I think its a good idea big horse. There could be a select all button, then one that breaks it down to species. I like it because I'm generally only interested in sheep and gear.

It'd be nice I agree. I guess someone could go back and add (sheep) or (bear) to the title of threads...but then of course some cover several species.

Come to think of it, wouldn't it just be nicer if the search function worked more efficiently? It has never seemed to perform as i would like and very cumbersome and time consuming to did things. Maybe that would be a better thing to focus on? Just a thought.

Also I want to acknowledge that all these things suggested take a lot of time due to the volume of the site so I can be realistic in my expectations and appreciative of the hard work that is voluntarily given by the people that make this site work.

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    Where do I post the bear/caribou/sheep hunt? Same story in each sub-forum? Edit out the parts that are not species specific in each forum? Part of the fun is reading each story no matter the species. There may be something in there to learn.
    If the thread author was able to multi-select species options, then durring a search a reader could have that multispecies hunt included under any of the sought species.

I'm not an administrator or anyone of any pull. As a reader and participant it would be nice to just run a search for bears and get a slew of great threads just focused on that. You get the thought. Maybe it doesn't need to be another "sub-forum" as I labled it but an option for authors to label what species they would like there story to be attached to.

We do most certainly need to get or search engine in order. We used to have a Google-run search feature embedded in the forums, but that was eliminated for some reason. I am not clear on why, but I'll run it by our tech guy. For now, when I want to search the forums for something specific, I type my search term into Google along with the phrase site:forums.outdoorsdirectory.com That works brilliantly, as it only pulls results from this site.

I could go for the suggestion of having tags along with each thread, but I don't personally like the idea of species-specific subforums. I think the site is fragmented enough as is.

I am not aware of any ability to select multiple thread type designators for one thread. Vbulletin is pretty robust but there isn't built in answers for every scenario. The forum is stuck operating within the parameters of the software.

what if all future threads posted by members included the SPECIES in the title, ie. moose, black bear, etc...anyone could use the Advanced Search, Title Only option, perhaps enter dates and you'd have a "sub-Forum" of the species.

Although sub-species would theoretically be a good idea, keep in mind all of us with SLOWWW internet connections. IMO there is already far far FAR to many subforums on this site, and it takes a LONG time to load on a slow connection. I also have to scroll past dozens of never-read, little used subforums to get to the ones I want to read. It would make my day if a few dozen of the existing ones were merged.

Yk

I agree that in the last couple years, the forums seem to be fragmenting faster than Eastern Europe. (that's actually slowed down a little in the last decade, huh?) I do like the idea of a tagging system where someone can select the species from a list when starting a thread, "check all that apply". Keep in mind that we have a hard enough time getting people to follow the simple forum rules we currently have. I could easily see a wonderful organization system... that nobody used.

I agree with Brian, though. I have figured that little trick out as well. Use a Google Search with the word outdoorsdirectory, and you'll get a wonderful search tool with all the customizable options you want with links to threads on this site.

Top-o-the-season to you Bighorse, btw. I think I still owe you a beer (for no particular reason). Let me know if you're coming to the Big City at all this year. -Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Gr is for Greg View Post
    Top-o-the-season to you Bighorse, btw. I think I still owe you a beer (for no particular reason). Let me know if you're coming to the Big City at all this year. -Gr
    If that ever happens, I want in. I'll buy beer for the both of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowknife View Post
    It would make my day if a few dozen of the existing ones were merged.

Yk
    Gotta agree with that YK...
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    If that ever happens, I want in. I'll buy beer for the both of you.
    I never turn down beer
    My signature is awesome.

Count me in!!! I'd love to hang with you guys over some suds. Thanks! Maybe we'll need to put together a Baranof Island beer and bear trip. Of course not at the same time.