Hello Fellow Forum Members,

I was wondering if anyone can offer any assistance. I can understand if you don't want to offer any info online. If you could pm me it would be appreciated also. I am trying to plan a float trip for 2013 for my family and I. I was thinking the Ivishak would be a good place to start, because it is a primarily a caribou hunt, and my kids are fairly young and probably not ready for a moose hunt. The other reason why I thought this river fit the bill is because you only have to pay for the drop off and it is rated a class I or II. The questions I have for anyone who might know are

1. How long is this float?
2. Are there different drop off points to choose from?
3. If so, where is a good place to start?

The reason why I am asking is because I have found from my limited experience as a float hunter, that shorter trips seem to be more productive than long ones. I have floated rivers that are 100+ miles in length and rivers 25 miles or less, and everything in between, but generally speaking I like to float 25-50 miles I would say at the most. Otherwise you don't seem to have enough time to hunt. I know from Karen Jettmar's book (The Alaska River Guide), the ivishak is listed as being close to 100 miles long if you start at Porcupine Lake. I would prefer to fly in to a place closer to the road if possible. However, the other factor to consider is where the caribou are. If the hunting is that much better 100 miles upriver as opposed to only 25 miles upriver, then I think I should probably choose to fly in farther. I hope I am making sense. Please if anyone has any knowledge they can share I would sure appreciate it.

Bushwhack Jack