Thread: 7.62x54R Cartridge and Nagant Rifle

Default 7.62x54R Cartridge and Nagant Rifle

Does anyone have any opinion on the 7.62x54R cartridge? Has anyone out there handloaded for it? Will the 7.62x54R handloaded cartridge in a standard Nagant Rifle handle chamber pressures loaded up to stout 30-06 loads? These rifles appear plentiful at attractive prices with good bores. Appear to have good steel. Should be an excellent deer cartridge. My guess is the standard loading for the cartridge might be somewhere in the neighborhood of the old 30-40 Krag pressures and muzzle energy (in modern smokeless Krag loads).

Palmer, AK

My cousin has one of the Mosin rifles and it is a joy to shoot. I would recomend sending it to a gun smith to have scope mounts drilled and put on a composit stock which would make it pretty good rifle. As far as the brass and reloading info I would recomend this post be moved to the reloading forum.

Default 7.62X54 Moisin-Nagant

These rifles vary extremely in quality, depending where they were made. I own a couple and enjoy them. The round is between the .308 and .30-06 in power and effectiveness.
    There is another forum discussion on this round a couple of months ago.

As far as reloading for it, mine will digest and shoot nearly everything I have fed them, but as was mentioned, it is best to get it checked out by a competent gunsmith.

Although I don't hunt much with them up here in Alaska I would not hesitate to take a deer with one of these rifles. No need to try to make this (or any other weapon) something it isn't, but if you are looking for a good, inexpensive deer rifle, this would fit the bill nicely. Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops sells the composite stocks for not much money.

The ONLY drawback I have with these rifles is the safety. It is a big knob on the rear of the bolt that is a bear to engage. You have to pull it back and rotate it, and the spring it works on is S-T-I-F-F. It is the same on both my rifles, and on every other one of these I have seen.

There is a lot of surplus ammo for sale cheap for this round, but be careful with what you buy. Most has corrosive primers, and you MUST clean the dickens out of the bore as soon as you finish shooting these rounds.

Good luck and enjoy this rifle.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Forgot to add, go to the "search" tab and type in 7.62X54. A lot of good info for you in these previous posts.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???