Thread: Closest Anchorage boat launch for flushing salt out of inboard jet

Default Closest Anchorage boat launch for flushing salt out of inboard jet

Howdy, Moved to Anchorage & have an 310 h.p. inboard with a Hamilton 212 jet. I have 2 questions I would appreciate some advice on:

Where is the closest fresh water boat launch or viable sandbar to just back the boat in to run the engine long enough to flush the saltwater out after coming back from Whittier?

Also, is there a fresh water launch on this side of the Whittier tunnel that would make sense on the way back to just flush it on the way back every time?

It looks like I should be able to back in to the Knik River right by the Glenn Highway bridge. Something closer, or on the way back from Whittier would be better. Thanks!

20 mile river

Depending on how big your boat is, how much does it weight, what are you pulling it with, etc.

The launch at Knik is a little steep as a word of caution, for the first timer go all the way toward the rocks and back in at an angle, not perpendicular to the water, and set the e brake just in case!

Has anyone tried the little lake just south of Girdwood? There is a road around to the back side, and it looks like it would be easy to dip a boat in there on the way back from Whittier. I used to think about it when I had my jet boat but never got around to trying it. Looks doable though.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Side note: This wouldn't work with an inboard jet, but it would with an outboard jet, outboard, outdrive. Cut the side out of a plastic barrel, both ends of the barrel need lids/sealed, lay on its side, put drive in. You can fill it with a hose constantly and run the crap out of your motor in it! Or just use the standard earmuffs.

Big Lake is easy, far but easy.

I back my 22' inboard jetboat into a small pond a few miles west of the Whittier tunnel, right hand side of the road just after the wooden arch boardwalk (left side of road). It is easy to miss if one does not know where it is, there are submerged logs and a steep drop in much of it, but a good look before backing in is all you need to find the suitable place to back in.

You can just add a water hose tee that has a shutoff valve built into it to one of the hoses running from your manifolds to the heat exchanger. Then when you get home hook your hose up to it and turn the water on and turn the valve to the blocked position so water is forced through your cooling system then turn it to the open position so it will go the opposite way through the manifold. I usually do this for a few minutes each way so that I get good water flow out both exhaust pipes.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.