Thread: Homer Trout/steelhead in August

Default Homer Trout/steelhead in August

This is a great forum, I've been reading for a while and I finally have a trip scheduled in August.My partner has a 32' boat in the harbor in Homer so we will be doing the obvious saltwater trips. I am an avid trout fisherman from northern california and would love to hear some suggestions on where to fish for trout in the area when we are not out on the salt.
    Thanks,
    Isaac

homer itself doesn't have much for freshwater fishing, but if you travel south, you'll run into 3 clearwater streams within 45 minutes - each of which hold some dolly varden and steelhead during august. if you want to go further, the middle and upper kenai should fish well during that time of year for trout. Crooked creek runs under the highway near Kasilof (about an hour or so from homer) and is full of small dollies with a few decent fish mixed in. there are countless lakes on the peninsula as well, but are much easier to fish with a float tube or canoe. it really depends upon how far you're willing to drive because the further you go, the more your options increase.
    Mark W.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

thanks Mark, for the reply. Last night I met with the guy that were going to be staying with up there. He was telling me that the steelhead start to run up in August. Can't wait to go up there, I already bought the plane tickets.
    Traveling an hour or two wouldn't be a problem for us, we have good transport.

There will be a few steelhead in august, walk upstream from the bridge and sight fish for em. Depending on how late in august you are coming the trout fishing in the russian can be good, anything before the 20th is great and that last week of august is ok
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.