Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1,248 red salmon...

Default 1,248 red salmon...

You read it right. That's the number of reds caught by a couple of anglers who fished Kodiak several years back. Of these two guys, one is a retired accountant out of Thunder Bay, Ontario. He's the record keeper and those are his numbers.

I have met him through this forum, and he seems to be one of the major players in the Fish on the Brain big leagues.

He is making the pilgrimage back to Kodiak this summer. He has a camper truck, a cargo van, and carries 2 ATV's. He is driving it. He'll be a guest at my Vendor's Party (book biz) that I am throwing in Kodiak July 20th. At that time we meet, and then we fish together.

We are already electronic friends, and soon to become fishing friends. Without this forum, this never would have happened.

That's an awsome amount of almost total catch-and-relase...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Default is that a good thing, Bernie?

Bernie, I may be missing the point, but are you implying that two anglers catching that many salmon in one season is a good thing?

If a buddy and I caught over 1,000 salmon in a summer...I know I would consider that a flipping awesome thing. Could there possibly be a downside?

Unhappy ad nauseum. . .

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanAuthor View Post
    You read it right.. . .1,248.
    That's an awsome amount of almost total catch-and-relase...
    Golly whiz. . . what fun!?

Quote Originally Posted by Ellamar View Post
    If a buddy and I caught over 1,000 salmon in a summer...I know I would consider that a flipping awesome thing. Could there possibly be a downside?
    Well assuming a mortality of 10%, that would amount to 100 fish that were wasted, ie died before spawning so someone could have fun playing with them.

Or eaten...don't forget that option!

That's the option I like, but the original post indicated over 1000 c&r, which will lead to a tremendous amount of wasted fish.

I love salmon, and respect them as a food source. I enjoy fishing as well, and enjoy c&r to an extent. But folks should be honest with themselves about the impact of their activities, and perhaps consider something other than seeing how many fish they can catch and release in a season.

Default Bernie?

Still waiting on an answer to the original question. Thanks.

Default Wow..

Thats alot of fish....wasted.
    Women never look so well as when one comes in wet and dirty from hunting

Default come on people

I wish all of the people who seem to have a problem with catching that many fish and releasing them would join a different Forum site. This is an outdoor forum, these are the types of things we do "outdoors".

If it is just a matter of being jealous, than i can understand. I'm jealous that i was not one of those people who caught all them fish too. But i'm not going to sit here and knock them for doing so. I'm going to ask for an invite to the next salmon slaying party.

So if you don't like to read about people catching fish than join a GARDENING forum. Talk about planting trees and stuff. The rest of us can continue to enjoy stories like these. Awesome thread despite the jealousy it arouses.

Keep on fishing!!!!!!!!

news flash!

they swim upriver to die.

Bushrat, I may be missing the point, but are you implying that two anglers catching that many salmon in one season is a BAD thing?

Default "wasted"

By wasted...i mean 1200 fish C&R is a waste in my eyes. I am more of a catch/bludgeon and filet type person.
    Catching that many fish would be awesome. But im a catch and keep guy. When i hit a river or lake its usually because i finnaly have time away from work and the wife, so im gonna keep what i catch. If someone wants to cach and release 4000 fish i really dont care, unless it starts to mess with the natural resource to a point where the arent making it to the point spawning. Then, they are messing with everyones fishing. Other than that, catch away.
    Women never look so well as when one comes in wet and dirty from hunting

Default One man's meat is another man's poison. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan19alaska View Post
    . . . if you don't like to read about people catching fish than join a GARDENING forum . . . Awesome thread despite the jealousy it arouses.
    But, Bryan. . . maybe it's just that what makes some fishermen jealous makes other fishermen nauseous?

"It's possible to intrude upon the larger spirit of fishing in any number of ways besides pointlessly killing the animal. (...) For example, hardly anything can ruin the tranquility of a day's fishing like a good tournament. The reason keeps turning out to be greed in one form or another, with slices of unresolved ego gratification thrown in for good measure."
    —Russell Chatham ("Silent Seasons" ed. by Russell Chatham, "Sterling Silver" p 200, Clark City Press, Livingston, MT)

Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    news flash!

they swim upriver to die.
    Actually, they swim upstream to spawn. Dieing typically happens AFTER spawning, not before.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Unhappy What the heck . . .

Here's a sentence from a Fish Alaska article a few years back:

"During my best day on the Aniak last year I hooked and landed 49 chinook salmon. My body and equipment are simply torn up after a day like that."

And then there's this observation:

"It was no doubt gratuitous, even sentimental, but looking at the butterfly on the young whore's ass, I thought of the long snaking pipeline falling from Prudhoe Bay across the interior of Alaska to the Bay of Valdez. I thought: If Alaska is not our young whore, what is she? She is rich, but who can live with her? She is full of all that will pleasure us, but she is hard and cold to the bone. And if we scar her, leave her with pestilence and corrupted with infection, irrefutably marked with our own private design, who can blame us? Didn't we buy her for a trifling sum to start?" óGoing Down in Valdez, Harry Crews

Funny...that reminds me of one of my favorites...

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." - Patrick F. McManus:

Default 3/4 Million

Quote Originally Posted by silencekills View Post
    Thats alot of fish....wasted.
    Didn't like 750 thousand reds go up and die last year? I don't think anyone caught and released those.
    What a terrible waste.

???
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default Bushrat reply...

You know, I don't what to make of all this. I hadn't really thought about it as being a good or bad thing.

I was just flabgargasted at this quota and I thought I would toss it out in a a new thread.

He seems very concientious, and loves the chase of fish with passion. Lots of interesting things have emerged in our communications, and I thought that what he was planning might be interesting to read. This is hard-core AK attraction, and I simply have to admire the totality of what he hopes to do...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

I did 95% catch and release when I fished in Minnesota for several years. I noticed a definite mortality with some of them, but mostly I noticed the bigger fish had higher mortality rates. I've spent 45 minutes trying to revive big muskies. When I fished in TX, I think I was 100% catch and eat (except the trash fish and illegals). Now that I live here, I tend to keep 90% of legal fish I catch (come on, you gotta catch a few more halibut than just two), and my catch and releases are mostly due to incidental hook-ups, or culling some halibut. I suppose C&R could have an ethical debate, but I think as a baseline philosophy, you could say that anything done in excess can't be all that good. I say this, but if you put me into a herd of pike, I cannot stop! But man, I bet they had some fun getting those 1200 fish!!!
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast