Thread: Op-ed from the Los Angeles Times

Default Op-ed from the Los Angeles Times

This surprised me, considering the source.

Gun control isn't the answer
    Why one reaction to Virginia Tech shouldn't be tightening firearm laws.
    By James Q. Wilson, JAMES Q. WILSON teaches public policy at Pepperdine University and previously taught at UCLA and Harvard University. He is the author of several books, including "Thinking About Crime."
    April 20, 2007

THE TRAGEDY at Virginia Tech may tell us something about how a young man could be driven to commit terrible actions, but it does not teach us very much about gun control.

So far, not many prominent Americans have tried to use the college rampage as an argument for gun control. One reason is that we are in the midst of a presidential race in which leading Democratic candidates are aware that endorsing gun control can cost them votes.

This concern has not prevented the New York Times from editorializing in favor of "stronger controls over the lethal weapons that cause such wasteful carnage." Nor has it stopped the European press from beating up on us unmercifully.

Read the entire article >>>
    Last edited by Webmaster; 04-20-2007 at 22:04. Reason: Compliance with copyright rules

North Pole

Default wow

I can't believe something this sensible came out of the People's Republic of California.

Thanks for sharing that. Very unusual coming from that side of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by walk-in View Post
    I can't believe something this sensible came out of the People's Republic of California.
    I have to agree. Pepperdine University!

Maybe it's the Montreal and VT situations (as universities) instead of high schools that is a factor.

....The main lesson that should emerge from the Virginia Tech killings is that we need to work harder to identify and cope with dangerously unstable personalities.

It is a problem for Europeans as well as Americans, one for which there are no easy solutions such as passing more gun control laws....
    Finally! Some truth!

I had to read that twice. just to make sure it said what I thought it said. Must be an Alaskan, infiltrating the PRC (People's Republic of CA)