Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prince William Sound on a budget

Default Prince William Sound on a budget

I would love to spend a summer in Prince William Sound when I retire in a couple of years but I don't have the money to go first class so I got to thinking that you guys that spend a lot of time there have probably figured out what boat I should get. Something really fuel efficient but appropriate for the task. I was thinking that it should have a cuddy cabin for sleeping offshore at times though a tent on the beach would do when possible but really fuel efficient too. So probably a bare bones 21-22 footer or so. However I humbly defer to your expertise in this area. So lets say you had unlimited time and no weather windows to worry about but not unlimited dollars, and you were more interested in exploring bays than fishing...how would you do it with one or two people. Which craft would you pick ?

Tolman jumbo skiff with cuddy. There's a place in Anchorage that will cut all the pieces for you, I think about $3-4 grand. All the rest is your time.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

What is the top end of your budget? A lot of "ground" has been covered in a Tolman. Member PaulH had his jumbo Tolman advertised in the swap and sell. Sounds like a great opportunity. I would enjoy sharing a beverage on anchor out there with you some time. The sound is a special place.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Now thats taking a novel approach and I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    What is the top end of your budget? A lot of "ground" has been covered in a Tolman. Member PaulH had his jumbo Tolman advertised in the swap and sell. Sounds like a great opportunity. I would enjoy sharing a beverage on anchor out there with you some time. The sound is a special place.
    I did a round trip around tustumena lake this morning and I was thinking about PWS and how nice it would be to spend a month there just looking. The wind was calm but there was rain most of the trip.

P9230961.jpg

Yes I was thinking something with an outboard since I have experience with them and the simpler things are the better it seems to work for me. I'm more interested in fuel economy and staying close to shore and just looking. I was wondering if a C dory would be decent choice ?

Depending on your budget why not a 22 or 26 C-dory? They come with a cuddy and galley. I'd go for the 26 as it also has a head and is a good sea worthy boat. Equipped with a single 150hp you should get 3 or 4 mpg.

22' c-dory is your huckleberry, particularly if you have time to slog it out if the weather turns.

Quote Originally Posted by Vek View Post
    22' c-dory is your huckleberry, particularly if you have time to slog it out if the weather turns.
    Agree 100 percent. Owned one for 13 years and loved it. It is owned by another family now and still going strong with the same 45hp hondas on it. It is over 20 years old. Every boat has its advantages and disadvantages. Its a give and take world in boating. A C-Dory is strong, econominal to run and sea worthy.
    What-a-Day
    27' x 9.5' Glacier Craft - Volvo 300hp D4 Diesel
    Remember: Any fool can be uncomfortable.
    Denny

Put me down as another vote for a Tolman. Widebody or Jumbo (I think the Widebody is plenty large). A safer, more efficient boat will be hard if not impossible to come by.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by dtol View Post
    Agree 100 percent. Owned one for 13 years and loved it. It is owned by another family now and still going strong with the same 45hp hondas on it. It is over 20 years old. Every boat has its advantages and disadvantages. Its a give and take world in boating. A C-Dory is strong, econominal to run and sea worthy.
    I like the 22-foot C-Dory with the exception that it does not have a self-bailing deck. If you're at anchor for a long time and it's been raining hard, then should there be a worry about the bilge pump draining the battery?

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    I like the 22-foot C-Dory with the exception that it does not have a self-bailing deck. If you're at anchor for a long time and it's been raining hard, then should there be a worry about the bilge pump draining the battery?
    There can be concern for an unattended boat, but it sounds like he will not be venturing away for long stretches. I would just start my motor every once in awhile to keep things charged up. I wonder if anyone has some info on how many hours it takes a bilge pump to drain a battery to the point an outboard wont start. I realize there are different batteries, motors, bilge pumps, etc that all factor into the equation. I bet it takes quite awhile for most bilge pumps in a 22' boat to drain a battery
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    Never experienced an issue like that with mine. I had a second battery in the well that I kept charged but drew no power from. Never did have to use it.
    What-a-Day
    27' x 9.5' Glacier Craft - Volvo 300hp D4 Diesel
    Remember: Any fool can be uncomfortable.
    Denny

I've spent many nights in PWS during rain storms and I don't have a self bailing deck. I've never had my bilge come on while at anchor as a result of the rain. Many times when I leave in the morning I'll turn them on while getting on step. They'll pump out water but it's never been enough to trigger the automatic bilge while at anchor. I'm with dtol on this. I don't think this is really an issue unless you're leaving the boat unattended for long periods of time.

I have ran some C dory boats and I hate them. I would never buy one. I think they are a horrible design for Alaska. I do like the Tolmans, but you still need to power it with a 150 hp motor that is going to burn allot of fuel.

If you really want to save money on fuel I would recommend finding an older 21' ranger tug. The 21' ranger tug comes with a 3 cylinder Yanmar deisel and only burns 1 pint per hour while cruising at 9 knots. Yes, you are only cruising at 9 knots but think if all the places you could go if you only burned that much fuel. I am attaching some photos. If you look hard enough you can find some of the older ones for around 20k down in the states with a trailer. The new ones cost around 45k so make sure you just keep looking until you find a good deal. Then you are into a boat for about 25k after getting it to Alaska. Just my $0.02
    3792928_20111129140233_1_LARGE.jpg26341474_640.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 907pride View Post
    I have ran some C dory boats and I hate them. I would never buy one. I think they are a horrible design for Alaska. I do like the Tolmans, but you still need to power it with a 150 hp motor that is going to burn allot of fuel.

If you really want to save money on fuel I would recommend finding an older 21' ranger tug....
    A tug's a fine and viable choice too, but I'm sure Renn Tolman would take exception to your 150 hp statement. A Tolman Widebody with a cuddy cabin should weigh in at less than 900 pounds and fully outfitted and hauling two or three persons and gear, a 70-90 hp outboard is more than enough power. More than that is just frivolous weight, expense and wasted fuel.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    A tug's a fine and viable choice too, but I'm sure Renn Tolman would take exception to your 150 hp statement. A Tolman Widebody with a cuddy cabin should weigh in at less than 900 pounds and fully outfitted and hauling two or three persons and gear, a 70-90 hp outboard is more than enough power. More than that is just frivolous weight, expense and wasted fuel.
    Sorry, the last one that I saw had a 150 hp on it, it was a jumbo model. I guess it was overkill. They are really cool boats.

Quote Originally Posted by 907pride View Post
    Sorry, the last one that I saw had a 150 hp on it, it was a jumbo model. I guess it was overkill. They are really cool boats.
    VERY cool boats! Designed to be durable, safe, and (reasonably) inexpensive. And designed specifically for Alaskan coastal waters. Too many guys subscribe to the fallacy that more is better and want to way overpower them...

The small tugs are very cool too. Stable, comfortable... You just can't be in a hurry (which you shouldn't be anyway).
    #Resist

Do you have a ballpark for the budget? One man's first class is another's budget boat.
    I agree with the Tolman and C-Dory recommendations. Pretty lame of 907pride to bash the c-dory without any reasons. There are tons of them in PWS so that is evidence that they work well there. Although they can handle big water they are best suited to places like the sound rather than somewhere like Homer due to the near flat bottom hull design. I have a 25 and love it. Wouldn't call it fuel efficient though it will do ok at hull speed. The 22 does much better on fuel.
    I would recommend a camper back for the cockpit if you don't get a tug style boat. It rains a lot out there and this allows you to store things on deck without them getting soaked. If you plan to spend most of your time away from port you will want a generator to keep your batteries charged.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisutch View Post
    Pretty lame of 907pride to bash the c-dory without any reasons. There are tons of them in PWS so that is evidence that they work well there.
    Well, I'm sure even if I would have given reasons you would still think I am lame. You own one so of course you are going to defend it. I own a yamaha 4 stroke snowmachine and there are tons of them on the trails but I'll tell anyone out there not to buy one and that they are pieces of trash. I just call it as I see it.

The flat bottom design of the C Dory is not suited to Alaska. The last time I had one out it was in Seward. While driving through chop it pounds on the hull worse than my jetboat. It felt as if the boat was going to fall apart. When you are stopped it does not quit rocking because it has no weight on the bottom to hold it steady. If you have a rock solid stomach that would be fine, but the people that I have taken fishing on them thought they couldn't get sea sick until they tried fishing from a C Dory. It was like watching fat kids on a roller coaster. Projectile vomiting is not pretty. I know 3 people that have owned them but have sold them because they actually got smart and realized how miserable they are. My wife refuses to even board a C-Dory ever again.

Sorry, but like I said, even if I give you reasons it's not gonna make you like me or my opinion any more. I'm sure you just hate me and my opinion even more now, but hey, you asked for it.

Tustumena, I hope you can form your own opinion of these boats. If you could find somebody that would take you for a ride in their Tolman and their C-dory it would be best. You never know, you may like the C-dory, but I doubt it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast