Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A quick GoPro video of a recent Sharptail hunt!

Default A quick GoPro video of a recent Sharptail hunt!

I'm still getting used to having one of my GoPro cameras along with me as I hunt. Good thing I had it on me and turned on when I recently put down my 4 year old Brittany Charlie one afternoon on a friend's farm. My intention was to do a bit of training with the dog 'cause I often let things slip a bit when I'm in predator mode. As it turned out he nearly immediately found a covey of sharptails hiding in a wide windrow. Hunting by myself the grouse always have the upper hand if they choose to run as these birds did. If they flush within the windrow the leaves and trees do nothing to shield them from this ol' ruffed grouse hunter and doubles are often taken on the rise.

In this quick video you'll notice I had some decisions to make: did the birds stay in the windrow? did they move to my left? or did they move off to my right, back past the dog's position. As you'll see, the birds ran through the windrow to my right and all but one flew through the windrow and out the end. If another hunter had been with me those birds would have provided easy shots.

Sorry for the second shot on a "gimme" bird, but my alibi is a good one: I had to hold my head up off the stock in order to keep the camera looking in the right direction. I should have fit it better to my head - and had planned to re-adjust the camera if we hadn't come upon these birds so quickly near the truck- but I still managed to redeem myself with a second shot. My young dog had to go back into training later that day due to his breaking at my shots. No matter how well trained a dog is he will need tuning up all the time. But what a great job he did finding a dead bird he hadn't seen go down followed by his typical fine retrieve.

I hope you enjoy it. I hope I downloaded it correctly.

Jim

Cant ask for much more than that. Congrats!

very nice, fun little video to watch thank you

Nice job with the video. I was feeling the excitement as you scanned for the sharp tails.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Great footage! What shotgun is that?

Seems any more I carry as much gear as a combat soldier: CamelBak water bladder, strap vest loaded with shells and two large water bottles for the dogs, transmitter for the beeper collars, Canon 5D III with battery grip, shotgun, and now a GoPro! No wonder this old guy is tired after a full day of hunting!

The shotgun is one of my favorites, a Arrieta sidelock ejector in 16 gauge with 28" bbls. and double triggers, a real bird getter!

Jim

That was pretty fun. It felt like a first-person game and I kept trying to steer my phone to make you turn the direction I felt the birds were. Do you just carry your camera on a strap or do you have it in a bag and then switch between "weapons?"
    Go Big Red!

That was beautiful, Jim.

Glad you enjoyed it friends!

I carry my DSLR attached to a Black Rapids strap over one shoulder and across my chest. It's a pretty good way to carry a camera at the ready. I have the GoPro attached to a head strap and it's stuffed inside my shirt until I feel inclined to use it. The problem I had with fitting the GoPro is that this particular camera has the WiFi back on it for remote activation, and that doesn't allow normal fit on the head or chest strap, so I had to have it back on my head in a manner it isn't designed for. Awkward, and it kept my head off the stock which is a killer to accurate game shooting. I need to work on this stuff. I may try making another clip tomorrow in the ruffed grouse woods.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McCann View Post
    Glad you enjoyed it friends!

I carry my DSLR attached to a Black Rapids strap over one shoulder and across my chest. It's a pretty good way to carry a camera at the ready. I have the GoPro attached to a head strap and it's stuffed inside my shirt until I feel inclined to use it. The problem I had with fitting the GoPro is that this particular camera has the WiFi back on it for remote activation, and that doesn't allow normal fit on the head or chest strap, so I had to have it back on my head in a manner it isn't designed for. Awkward, and it kept my head off the stock which is a killer to accurate game shooting. I need to work on this stuff. I may try making another clip tomorrow in the ruffed grouse woods.

Jim
    Sure made me want to go hunting. I have never been grouse hunting. I grew up shooting doves, ducks, pheasant and quail, all but the ducks over Brittany Spaniels. I just retired from the Army a few months ago and am trying to learn to relax and reconnect with some of my roots. I started hunting big game a couple years ago and ran into a lot of ptarmigan so that perked my ears up. That lead me to reading up and looking around to find out more about the upland hunting here in Alaska and wow, this is great. I may even need another bird dog after 30 years without. This site and your video really has me "birdy"!

Quote Originally Posted by Armymark View Post
    This site and your video really has me "birdy"!
    You should read his book! Your profile says you are in Anchorage. If you're trustworthy, I can lend it to you. PM me for a good exchange time/location.

Sorry Jim, no royalties but your fan base grows.
    Go Big Red!

Thanks Pg13!

Armymark, Congratulations on your retirement, and thank you for your service to America. If I, or any of the fine and experienced folks here can help you in your efforts to get back into upland hunting you're just a few computer clicks away. Everyone here is easy to deal with and glad to help.

Jim

Jim, I appreciate the sentiment, thank you. I'm looking forward to hanging out here and learning from everyone. I'm sure I'll have some questions. I am already looking at different kennels for a dog and I'm leaning toward an English Setter or the Llewellin clan. As it turns out I may have the opportunity to hunt over one this weekend with an aquaintance. Not sure where we are going to go but it's a start. I recently returned from a caribou hunt a few weeks ago where I brought 2 rifles with me and, with hindsight being what it is, I wish I had brought a shotgun for the Ptarmigan. I have a solid skiff that I poke around the Prince William Sound with and am thinking there might be some bird opportunity out there. Have you heard of much success out there?

PG, I appreciate the offer however, I have decided to purchase Jim's book upon your recomendation. If your in town sometime, we could certainly get a cup of coffee and you could show me map data of you best hunting spots! Feel free to send GPS data. I'll PM you my contact info.

Very nice, Jim! It sure brought back some memories of other places long ago...

And for those interested in his book, you can purchase it right here! AT THIS LINK-

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

And for those interested in his book, you can purchase it right here! AT THIS LINK-

-Mike[/QUOTE]

thats where I ordered mine... I can hardly wait.

Nice vid Jim.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Thanks Jim...waiting for the ruffed version!

Burke,

Funny you should say that. I just sat down here at my home office computer and noticed one of my GoPro cameras lying on my desk next to me. I carried it with me on a recent ruffed grouse hunt and did some pretty cool stuff in a beautiful place, but when it came time to video a grouse flush...well, I'm too much of a predator and held the shotgun instead! With the change in the weather all of a sudden, and snow threatening, I'll have to start over again on a fresh snow ruffed grouse hunt. The sharptails have likely left for their wintering grounds but I may hunt for some of them one more time this fall.

Jim

very nice! those gopros are nealy neat cameras!
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast