Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: eat your heart out you barnes lovers

Default eat your heart out you barnes lovers

Bullet recovered from my 338 ultra mag on a caribou. Guess what it's a sierra boat tail.
    Distance 362 yards
    Bullet SBT game king 250gr
    muzzle velocity 2913 @ 52 degrees
    Shot quatering away, found under hide on offside front shoulder
    Mushroom wieght 238gr, diameter .83"

Just more proof that barnes are overrated !!!DSCN1521.jpgDSCN1520.jpg

DSCN1512.jpg Caribou taken with the SBT bullet

What percentage of the bullet's weight did you retain?

Nice mushroom.

SGKs have been performing this way for years. Longer shots/lower impact velocity make a lot of bullets top notch performers. The 250 .338 is a bit tougher than the average SGK, but still soft enough to allow your kind of performance. I've been using them for years in a 340 Weatherby with similar results at longer ranges.....
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

the math comes out to 95.2%

Quote Originally Posted by alaska2go View Post

The TTSX in the moose thread (210gr) ended up at 99.04%.

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    The TTSX in the moose thread (210gr) ended up at 99.04%.
    Yea but it doesn't look as good as the SBT !!

That works for me. Nice.

I forget what various mfgr's spec for that value, but above 95 percent, who cares.

I should probably find and post up a picture of my mushroomed barnes that dropped a bison where he stood when it broke his vertebrae.

Yea but it doesn't look as good as the SBT !!

I love them for their personality.

Didn't anybody tell you that you can't kill anything with a lead core bullet since the invention of monolithic copper projectiles? It just can't be done. That Caribou is actually just sedated, its obviously a staged photo intended to rile up all the Barnes tweakers out there.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Funny, I'd expect a bullet to exit on a animal the size of a caribou, especially from a 338 RUM.

People kill them with .22LR, too. Dead is dead. Is there more dead on critters that don't bite back?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Funny, I'd expect a bullet to exit on a animal the size of a caribou, especially from a 338 RUM.
    I was thinking that too, then I reread: 362 yds, went thru 1 or both front shoulders, fully and nicely mushroomed like that.... yeah, in that exact shot, he didn't need so much as one more grain of powder there.

It just goes to show that a cup and core bullet works very well if kept within it's impact velocity window.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    I was thinking that too, then I reread: 362 yds, went thru 1 or both front shoulders, fully and nicely mushroomed like that.... yeah, in that exact shot, he didn't need so much as one more grain of powder there.
    250 grains leaving at 2900 fps. Odd that that it stopped.

Its far more inportant where you hit them that what you hit them with. Any GOOD bullet will work just fine. Get one that shoots well and kill game. I would rather hit a moose in the lungs with a regular old Core-Lokt bullet than gut shoot it with a premium

DSCN1512.jpg Caribou taken with the SBT bullet
    Congratulations on a nice caribou taken with a good shot. Bon appetite, that's is good meat.

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Its far more inportant where you hit them that what you hit them with. Any GOOD bullet will work just fine. Get one that shoots well and kill game. I would rather hit a moose in the lungs with a regular old Core-Lokt bullet than gut shoot it with a premium
    This quote should be a sticky

I can only guess at impact velocity but probably around 2200fps. The bullet opened up very nicely, went through a lot of tissue and maybe some bone and then got to the far side hide. Now it's really slowed down and has a horrible shape for penetration so it pushes the hide out about a foot and then gets slapped back against the meat. Real common for expanding bullets going slow. IMO very good performance. I don't think Barnes are over rated but I do think the cup and cores are seriously under rated. Just don't try to use a light for caliber C&C at mach III plus cause it won't work well. Also don't try a 180gr Barnes TSX from a 30/30 at 300 yds. C&C bullets have performed well for over 100years if kept within their operating velocity. The premium bullets perform fine as well but they too must be kept within their operating velocity.

If you insist on using a 257Wthby you better get some very tough bullets. If you hunt with a 35Whelen, almost any C&C 200gr + will work. Use a 45/70 and a hunk of lead will work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I can only guess at impact velocity but probably around 2200fps. The bullet opened up very nicely, went through a lot of tissue and maybe some bone and then got to the far side hide. Now it's really slowed down and has a horrible shape for penetration so it pushes the hide out about a foot and then gets slapped back against the meat. Real common for expanding bullets going slow. IMO very good performance. I don't think Barnes are over rated but I do think the cup and cores are seriously under rated. Just don't try to use a light for caliber C&C at mach III plus cause it won't work well. Also don't try a 180gr Barnes TSX from a 30/30 at 300 yds. C&C bullets have performed well for over 100years if kept within their operating velocity. The premium bullets perform fine as well but they too must be kept within their operating velocity.

If you insist on using a 257Wthby you better get some very tough bullets. If you hunt with a 35Whelen, almost any C&C 200gr + will work. Use a 45/70 and a hunk of lead will work fine.
    according to my little chart it is traveling at 2360 FPS !!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast