Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maud

Default Maud

Does the creek to swan lake area connect to maud lake, or do you have to launch into the second lake like I have...just trying to avoid that portage lol. Thanks!
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

Yes, they all connect, run around in the daylight with a gps and map a course back to your spot. It will save you a lot of work. Good Luck, and how did your hunt go?
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Default Maud

Well since it was my personal first time in that system. We got lost. Found my way out there eventually. Around 8:30. got 4 ducks and decided the sideways rain and 50mph wind was going to get worse...we watched everyone else leave and then we left. I was just happy to have found a spot for my boat. Now I have to find that creek going into maud and I'll be set.

Quote Originally Posted by AK375HH View Post
    Does the creek to swan lake area connect to maud lake, or do you have to launch into the second lake like I have...just trying to avoid that portage lol. Thanks!
    I will assume you are running in the dark with a spot light. I also assume that you can get the boat on a straight heading and keep it there. Hard to do in the dark when you have a twitchy boat the turns well. If its foggy, well good luck.

When in mud lake stay between the big rock and the rocky shore - keep this shore on your right side but don't get too close due to more rocks that don't stick up above the water. I like to have the big rock about 20 to 30 feet to my left.

Once you have passed the rocky bluff on your right you need to keep open water in front of you. If you head into the grass you have turned from the channel and are headed in a circle. When the grass closes in on both sides you need to take a hard left just before the grass opens up into a large lake. The steam channel from here is pretty obvious as it winds its way back towards the trees.

If the cloud cover permits it I take a heading on the left peak of the mountain across the river and then just flash the spot light on the various features of the swamp to make sure I am getting close enough. There is also a house across the river that sometimes has a yard light on and that is a little too far to the east to be helpful for a straight line nav aid. Took me a while to learn to not drive towards it.

I just drop the boat in the water and aim at the creek. I've yet to find any grass out there that'll stop my rig!

Jokes aside, I heard the road is closed because of the washout in the first quarter-mile. I'm not hunting tomorrow (wasn't going there, anyways) because I'm putting a pork shoulder on the smoker at 6am. Some buddies told me about it today when they were leaving. They said the MSB truck was out there putting the signs up and I guess they were going to do some work to the road. If anyone has any other news, please advise, this is just what I heard and figured I'd throw it on here to save the Maud Rd. crowd some heartache tomorrow morning! Enough "road closed" signs and you guys will eventually find my spot!

Default Maud

I was there today...did Jim lake and portaged. Saw the sink hole. Drove around it. There were barricades around it. It was open when I left at 12:30 pm.

I was there today...did Jim lake and portaged. Saw the sink hole. Drove around it. There were barricades around it. It was open when I left at 12:30 pm.

Ok. My buddy told me that this evening. I'm not sure what time he left out there today. Hopefully it's open and you guys can bang some ducks. I'll be stuck drinking beer and cooking pork all day long!

Back to your original question - I can't believe you portaged your boat!! You'd be more than fine putting in at the landing and going up the creek. If you haven't gotten it sorted out by tomorrow, shoot me a PM. Maybe I can meet you out there Monday and show you around (if you aren't working). I'm all tied up tomorrow and go back to the slope on Wednesday. All I can tell you is that the creek isn't tough to run at all, just be careful of guys coming through there at Mach 3. It gets kinda tight/blind through some of those corners and smaller rigs can end up in the trees pretty quick!

Default Maud

Lol that doesn't sound that bad! I'm a little nervous about trying to find that creek in the dark for the first time...undecided if tomorrow will be that day or not.

Lol that doesn't sound that bad! I'm a little nervous about trying to find that creek in the dark for the first time...undecided if tomorrow will be that day or not.

Another trick, if you have a spot light, is too look for the small alders that come out from the left hand side. They line the creek. Kinda tough to see at night, especially if you've never run it, but keep your eyes peeled, if it isn't too foggy, that's another method to finding the creek. What I'd do is just ask someone at the ramp. Explain that you're new on that system and just want someone to let you follow them to the creek. I know if I was out there and someone asked me, I wouldn't have a problem.

Default Maud

That's a pretty safe way to do it! Or just get there at 5 am and follow 50 yards behind someone lol. Obviously I'd ask first.

best bet is hit it during the day an map it on your gps a stated..lots of little creejs and places ine can get turned around in a hurry out there..then just make sure your batteries are good.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    best bet is hit it during the day an map it on your gps a stated..lots of little creejs and places ine can get turned around in a hurry out there..then just make sure your batteries are good.

Yep. I was on the slope for the opener and my buddy and another guy went out there. I must have gotten 100 texts on opening morning asking me where the creek is and how they were lost.

If you were there and portaged, you should have followed the creek on up the mud lake when you were leaving in the daylight, could have figured out the route very easily coming in from the creek. Bud
    Wasilla

Default Maud

Didn't even think they connected until I spoke with a guy on the road. Yesterday was my first time ever being down that road.

Did anyone go there today? Was it open?

I went there today, it was closed. Enough room to drive around, couple wheelers went in, I turned around. Don't know how official that road closed sign is, but I doubt they're gonna fix those holes anytime soon.

Sounds like duck lake is about to get even more hammered!

Doubt it..to much work.. for most

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Sounds like duck lake is about to get even more hammered!
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Default Maud

Show me the way. I'll be there

That's true Hugh, and most guys boats are way to big to get in. Hopefully they get that road fixed soon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast