Thread: Couple Questions

Default Couple Questions

I have a few questions probably for Murphy but who knows. What is the hype with the 325 wsm? I am looking to get a new rifle for somewhat of an all around rifle. What is the ballistic coefficeint of the 325? Also I know this should go in the handloading section but I am running out of time. Now that I have an extra 9 months here in Iraq I would like to get a reloading manual to read up and learn as much as I can before I come home anyone have any reccomendations as to somthing that would provide me with some insight since I have never reloaded before? Thanks

Personally I think lots of hype is right, and I compare it to a 9/16 ton truck.

If you're looking for a featherweight gun, IMHO, the 30 cal is as big as you can go w/o recoil getting obnoxious, and hence I think the 300 WSM in a kimber montanna is close to perfect in an over the counter gun. A good 30 will kill anything in AK, and with good bullets, way out there as well.

If you want more power, step right up to a 338 win mag, and in a gun of reasonable weight.

There are huge selections of component bullets and factory ammo in the 30 and 338's, but the 8mm aka 325 has a very limited selection, and likely that'll only get worse in the future.

Nothing against great concept due it all rounds, I'm a nutball that uses a 350 rem mag, but in practicle terms, you simply can't beat a good 30 or 338.

Just like all the other WSM calibers. The greatest thing since bottled beer.

It is a useful caliber but it offers little or nothing above the 30 caliber model or for that matter a 30-06. The availability of bullets is limited and it really should have been a 338 which has bullets and is a step up above the old '06 due to the capability of using heavier bullets. It's different and in a light weight gun it can be a nice package.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I bought one because I wanted a lightweight all around hunting rifle that packs a good wallop. I didn't want a heavy 26inch barreled gun. I guess I could have had a 338 custom made but then there is the recoil issue. If didn't care about the weight and recoil I probably would have bought a 338win mag. My 325 Kimber hits me easier than my old Ruger 30-06. I'm happy. Each to his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Just like all the other WSM calibers. The greatest thing since bottled beer.

It is a useful caliber but it offers little or nothing above the 30 caliber model or for that matter a 30-06. The availability of bullets is limited and it really should have been a 338 which has bullets and is a step up above the old '06 due to the capability of using heavier bullets. It's different and in a light weight gun it can be a nice package.
    Yea! They say the greatest thing since sliced bread. Murphy and Paul H. are correct in their assement, I could not agree more. Infact I will not at this time go into detail about how some new cartridges are really not needed.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Thanks for the responses that was kinda what I figured but just wanted to make sure.

Hunt AK,

I don't want to discourage you from getting a 325 WSM. They're at a very useful and managable power level and in a light and handy package such as the Kimber Montana, they are very nice.

They do not equal the 338 mag but they can be a very good all-round caliber, in the hands of a good shot. I can tell you, if or when I buy a Kimber Montana, it will be in 325 WSM. I would prefer it over any and all of the other factory WSM calibers.

If you can send me your mailing adress, I'll send you the new Nosler #6 loading manual, that should get you started.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?