Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barnes TTSX

Default Barnes TTSX

There is been a few questions about Barnes and bullet preformances and selections. Last year for moose hunting I load 210 gn TTSX in .338 win mag.and was pushing between 2800 and 2900, dont remember exactly. I shot my moose at about 300 yrds and recovered these just on the underside froma quartering at shot.

They now weigh 209.5 grns. I figure that the tip weighted at least the .5 grn. I'm impressed and happy with the preformance!

Semper Fi and God Bless

Default Barnes

Here's some .338 win mag 225gr TSX I've recovered out of critters. They tend to loose petals when you hit some bone but they get excellent penetration. I've never seen an animal hit the ground so fast as the cow bison I shot a few years ago. The bullet blew through both shoulder blades, taking out some vitals along the way, and she was on the ground before I recovered from the rifle recoil.

I've since loaded the 225gr TTSX and they'll shoot three shots touching at the range. Haven't had a chance to put an animal down with them yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

On a somewhat related note, I shot a caribou a few days ago (twice @ 202 yds) and a grizz last month (86 yds) with a Barnes 200 gn LRX out of my .300 Win mag at 2855 FPS. All shots were pass-throughs with impressive internal damage.

ttsx's are very good bullet. I have never recovered one , but they seem to drop animals pretty much in their tracks. Although I did have a deer take three steps once after a lung shot. If you keep them under 3000 fps they also do a nice job at a clean hole. Check out the exit in this deer, 338 wm. 180 grn ttsx

Thoughts on a 180gr TTSX @ 3,250fps for a Kodiak Brown?

I would bump up to a 200 or 220 but the 180 will do the job and then some. Just nice having a little extra weight on those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    I would bump up to a 200 or 220 but the 180 will do the job and then some. Just nice having a little extra weight on those guys.

That's what haunts me at night! I built the gun with the "one gun for Alaska" theory. I built it in .300 RUM thinking it'd be a good caliber for everything. I drew a Kodiak tag right out of the gate, and now I'm second guessing myself!

This is a 180gr TTSX shot out of my .300 WSM that passed diagonally from end to end in my black bear last year. It entered at the base of the neck forward of the right shoulder and I found it while skinning out the left rear hind quarter. He folded in half and didn't move other than a couple breaths. My grizz I shot this year dropped in the same fashion, as did both caribou that I shot. Didn't recover any of those as they were clean pass throughs but all were very effective with one shot being all that was needed on anything I've shot. I love them.

AZinAK

Last edited by AZinAK; 09-29-2012 at 09:59. Reason: Add caliber

This years moose 338-06 2680FPS out of the muzzle. The moose was shot at shot at 256 yards. Went though one rib going in. Tore up lungs and everything in between. Hit a rib going out. Found Bullet just under the skin on the far side. Bullet weight 209 grains and started out as a 210gr TTSX.

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    That's what haunts me at night! I built the gun with the "one gun for Alaska" theory. I built it in .300 RUM thinking it'd be a good caliber for everything. I drew a Kodiak tag right out of the gate, and now I'm second guessing myself!
    That rifle and cartridge will work for everything in Alaska. That 180gr Barnes will do the job no doubt about that so stop being a baby and second guessing yourself over your decision and start working on shot groups! Or if you want a little more oomph step up to a 200gr TSX.

I have only recovered one TSX bullet (168grn from a mountain goat shot with an '06). All the animals I've shot with TSX's exit the far side of an animal that is going to be down real soon after impact (if I do my job and hit them right). 270's out of my 375H&H have taken moose and grizzly; 168's/180's out of an '06 have taken deer, caribou and mountain goat, and 100grn TSX's out of my 257WBY are dynamite on black bear.

I would post up a pic of a recovered Barnes but I don't have any, they are all in Alaska ground somewhere.

That rifle and cartridge will work for everything in Alaska. That 180gr Barnes will do the job no doubt about that so stop being a baby and second guessing yourself over your decision and start working on shot groups! Or if you want a little more oomph step up to a 200gr TSX.

The shot groups are awesome! That's why I'm 3 weeks out and still haven't switched...

The shot groups are awesome! That's why I'm 3 weeks out and still haven't switched...
    Then leave good enough alone and go get your bear,

Thoughts on a 180gr TTSX @ 3,250fps for a Kodiak Brown?
    I would shoot a kodiak bear in a heartbeat with the 180 grain. The only bullets I ever shoot are the ttsx for everything. Shot a brown earlier this year with the 180 and it took him out with no problem. Not quite as big as a kodiak but the way he went down we all talked about it in camp and Im sure they would drop just the same.

If you want added assurance, shoot inside of 200 yds and closer if you can. Keep the energy high.

AZinAK

You know what haunts me are trivial questions like this and not god**** invite to go duck hunting!!!!

I would post up a pic of a recovered Barnes but I don't have any, they are all in Alaska ground somewhere.
    From target practice???

Ladies and gentleman GWH has spoken

Here's the only TSX I've ever recovered. 200 grain out of my .325 WSM. Quartering away shot at a moose at 200 yards. Found ribs, clipped the heart, and found buried deep in a busted front shoulder

In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast