Thread: New trolling reels?

Default New trolling reels?

Hey,
    I'm not happy with the way my Fin-Nor reels are holding up, even with yearly cleaning and parts renewal. In the Shimano line, what do you guys suggest?

jim

Dunno about Shimano, but after several years we're still sold on the Daiwa Saltists. Really solid, and the high speed retrieve is priceless when a king does a kamikazi run at you. Zero issues in 3 or 4 years of hard use.

Hanks,
    Thanks for the info. Now, star drag or lever drag, and in what size?
    jim

We're using the LW (levelwind) model with star drag, both the 20HA and the 30HA. Probably the most reliably adjustable star drag I've ever used. We use stars because they're easier for us to manage with novices on the boat. BTW- For a dedicated salmon reel the 20 is hard to beat, but for a reel to move back and forth from a salmon rod to a jigging rod, the 30 is more versatile, if also slightly larger and about an ounce heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
    Hey,
    I'm not happy with the way my Fin-Nor reels are holding up, even with yearly cleaning and parts renewal. In the Shimano line, what do you guys suggest?

jim
    Jim,

curious what daily routine do you have on them? We were "misting" with fresh water, but our reels were having problems. Switched over to wd40 daily and our reel problems went away. And they were on mooching reels, which get 10x the use of trolling reels. (shimano tekota reels)

270ti,
    What reels are you using?

Daily routine on my Fin-Nors is a good fresh water rinse once back at the dock, so the outside looks great, but the inside is bad after a season. Where do you spray the WD40? Won't it collect dirt (does on my bike)?

Mostly it's a sticky drag that I don't like. Not smooth surges when the salmon make a run, even on newly reconditioned reels..

And thanks for the responses.

We did the same as you, and sounds like we had similar results with the "misting".

I spray the entire reel down with wd40. Soak it, spool and all. (shimano tekota 600 lc) I didn't have 1 reel failure this year.. and we use them hard. You can imagine how many time that bail lever gets flicked and handle cranked when you have clients mooching for 5 hours a day, all season long. No dirt/grime issues either.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
    Hey,

jim
    Well, you know where to try out the Penn Defiance levelwind reels if you feel like it! I bought a couple this summer and I love them. Haven't lost a fish yet due to the reels.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Diawa Sealine 47H's. My old man has 10 of the 47's, 16 of the 27's that are all over 30yrs old now with no issues. I'm running 6 of the 47's up here and I have 8 of the 27's, tear them down in the winter usually all good and clean. Wash them down with the hose everyday when I get back. After a full season the do start to show use, but it's all cosmetic, never had an issue in side where it counts. Don't know how they'll do mooching as I don't mooch much up here.

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    ...tear them down in the winter....
    That's the key to long life, no matter what you're doing in the season. One look inside will tell you if your daily care is right or wrong. In either case, the fall tear down lets you catch messes before they can do any damage over a long winter. Dunno how to tear them down? Send them off. Certainly not cheap, but cheaper than replacement parts or dumping a ruined reel.

I have had very good success with my Fin Nor gear...have the drags been backed all the way down after use? I ask because most all star drag reels are suseptible to drag damage if they remain buried during storage. The drags on my 20 OFLs are very smooth. Sorry to hear they aren`t working well for you.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Charter special with greased carbontex drag washers per Alantani's instructions. I've got four seasons on three of them. Setting downrigger gear with them is a one-hand deal, which is handy for when you're manning the tiller with inexperienced crew - clients in your case.

Shimano Tekota reels have been working good for me, but I also don't run a charter so they don't see daily wear and tear. Fin Nor is good too though, maybe some different maintenence like 270 mentioned would help
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I am a fan of the Shimano Charter Special. They have served me very well for many seasons with just a minor clean up and line changes. They are easy for my guests to use and the drag has been flawless unless they are dunked. For the money, a great reel.

One question, are you tightening the drags down before spraying them and then loosening the drags overnight? I've found this to be the key to keeping them smooth and lasting for many seasons.
    Tightening the drags down keeps from washing salt and other debris onto the drag washers when rinsing.

Put me in for the charter specials with greased carbontex drags. fairly cheap but tough reels.

The Diawa Sealines will last 30 years only if you bought them 30 years ago. Newer ones are junk as i'm am constantly having the drags/clicker/paws replaced! Phasing them out of the spread as they breakdown. Tekota's are rock solid, and most of the Shimano line is very durable. Oddly enough, my least favorite is the charter special. The Okuma Catalina is a high speed retrieve reel that is holding up well for me, but i would stay away from the lower end Convectors if you are piling the hours on them. Spend the extra $$$$$$$$ and go with the Tekota's!

As someone who see's the results of what saltwater can due to the inside of a cast/ machined aluminum reel my choice would be the Charter Special. As I get these reels through my shop I change the stock drags out with a carbon fiber drag coated with Cal's grease and it's all good...

Quote Originally Posted by Reel Bob View Post
    As someone who see's the results of what saltwater can due to the inside of a cast/ machined aluminum reel my choice would be the Charter Special. As I get these reels through my shop I change the stock drags out with a carbon fiber drag coated with Cal's grease and it's all good...
    One of my other favorite "cheap" salmon reels is the Shimano TR100G's which I'd seem to think is just a slightly trimmed down version of the Charter Specials. You'd probably know better than I about this one, Bob. But I love them for their price to fish catching abilities. I don't think you can beat them for the price other than possibly the Penn Defiance reels I'm trying out. And they are great "cheap" reels, too, so far. Haven't coated the drag washers with Cal's yet, but plan on doing it when I get a break from fishing.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com