Thread: Chandalar Lake

Default Chandalar Lake

I'm planning on walking( down the North Fork) in mid June from the Dalton and will be carrying 2 weeks of freeze dry with me but would like to spend a month exploring around the area. In order to get more food in I'd have to charter a plane which would be cost prohibitive ( for me ) So I thought I'd ask if any of you pilots were going to be ? flying not too far from there if I could pay you say $ 250 too drop off some food for me which I'd arrange to get to you in advance.

If, you have any other ideas I'd love to hear them. Thanks.

PS. I enjoy reading your forum

Default scheduled service

You might look in to scheduled service to Chandalar Lake with someone like Warbelows or Wrights out of Fairbanks. They carry supplies on many of their flights and charge by the pound. Just a thought.
    http://www.warbelows.com/
    http://www.wrightair.net/index.html

I don't know about Warbelow's, but Wrights has no scheduled flight to Chandalar Lake. They do , however, fly there occasionally on charters. They also do some trips to Squaw Lake which is close to Chandalar. I would recommend you call Wrights (907) 474-0502 and talk to Bob the owner and let him know what you need to do. I think it's likely something could be worked out to get your supplies there for a reasonable price....Louis

Louis, I talked to Wrights and that may work out. Thanks so much.
    Mike

No problem. Let us know if there's anything else we can do to help from this end. Sounds like an interesting trip. Are you planning to start at Chandalar Shelf on the highway? Make sure to post some photo's when you get back!....Louis

Default Chan. Shelf

Actually I was thinking of starting south of the Chan. Shelf going in Nirwik ( spell ) Creek. However the more I look at the maps I think I'd best start in as you mentioned from the shelf since my pack will be quite heavy for an old guy.

I will post a bunch of photos after I get back in the fall. Thanks alot.
    Mike

Default reponse

Louis,
    Thanks for your help. Bob @ Wrights connected me to the owner of Squaw Mines who said he'd be glad to let me put 15/20 lbs of food on his weekly charter to the mine. I offered to pay and he refused.

People are so nice in Alaska! It reminds me of when I was first in Alaska in 67 and arrived in Fairbanks and asked someone where some place was and he said get in my car and I'll drop you by there. Doesn't happen down here and if it did you'd probably only feel safe if you were carrying!