Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Homer Feeder King Update?

Default Homer Feeder King Update?

Any updates or has the weather just been too bad to get out? I've seen a few reports of a king here and there but nothing that sounds very promising thus far. When does this fishery typically heat up?

Default Braggin' time!

Feeder king action has heated up lately, and getting better by the day inside Kachemak Bay. In the past 10 days I've gone out with clients and brought back limits most of the time...

fishhold1a.jpg
    This was the fish hold on a day we kept 4 jacks...

Indianna4a.jpg
    This from just 2 days ago. That black rockfish is one of a bunch caught near Pogi Point, some of the biggest black rockfish I've caught north of the Chugach Islands...

Default Brag #2

Rick Carlson and Jeff Schultz with the last 2 kings we caught on their 4 days of fishing with me last week. That fish Jeff is holding (right) was a bona fide 30-pounder (weighed) that was a white king...

JeffRick2.jpg

And this of me from yesterday when Coho Dave came out with me. This one was an 18-pounder, we released 2 more in the 10-12 pound range...

JimSeptKinga.jpg

The next time you want to get fancy layer your white king portion with slivered boneless sockeye prior to going in the oven.

The visual effect is staggering let alone the textural difference of the two of them together in compliment.

Rosenberg; Kodiak, AK / Sarasota, FL
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard R. Rosenberg View Post
    The next time you want to get fancy layer your white king portion with slivered boneless sockeye prior to going in the oven.

The visual effect is staggering let alone the textural difference of the two of them together in compliment.

Sounds nice, have a photo?
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

photo nothing
    eat everything...

"Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Nice kings cliffhanger

OK. This isn't quite the same thing, but here's a pic I took just a few days ago of a "partially white" king and "regular" king tail section just before grilling with "my special sauce" (no, not the same thing I put my herring into, OR what Mickey D's serves you on a Whopper) and alder chips, that I caught just hours apart :
    IMG_4627.jpg
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
    Feeder king action has heated up lately, and getting better by the day inside Kachemak Bay. In the past 10 days I've gone out with clients and brought back limits most of the time...

fishhold1a.jpg
    This was the fish hold on a day we kept 4 jacks...

Indianna4a.jpg
    This from just 2 days ago. That black rockfish is one of a bunch caught near Pogi Point, some of the biggest black rockfish I've caught north of the Chugach Islands...
    Good to hear, and nice work! Those are some beautiful fish. We'll be there in a few days, heading out to give it a whirl. Fingers crossed!

Nice looking boat cliffhanger.

photo nothing
    eat everything...

Care to elaborate with a recipe? Headed that way (from Fort Myers, Florida) myself soon and might just end up with some of each with a little luck.

Quote Originally Posted by KenaiKeys View Post
    Care to elaborate with a recipe? Headed that way (from Fort Myers, Florida) myself soon and might just end up with some of each with a little luck.
    I'll certainly be happy to share a few of my favorite recipes when you're here. If I get to smoking soon I'll certainly be bringing along some of my bourbon smoked salmon!

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    I'll certainly be happy to share a few of my favorite recipes when you're here. If I get to smoking soon I'll certainly be bringing along some of my bourbon smoked salmon!
    Sounds good, can't wait!

Any updates or has the weather just been too bad to get out? I've seen a few reports of a king here and there but nothing that sounds very promising thus far. When does this fishery typically heat up?
    Here are the fish we got today and it was pretty "hot" when we got that 15 lb. king and 15 minutes later that 21 pounder. And the halibut bite (two closing in on 30 lbs. and one about 25lbs.---and not a "mushy" one in the bunch) has been pretty hot, too. OH...WAIT! You helped catch them all! LOL!
    IMG_4883.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Here are the fish we got today and it was pretty "hot" when we got that 15 lb. king and 15 minutes later that 21 pounder. And the halibut bite (two closing in on 30 lbs. and one about 25lbs.---and not a "mushy" one in the bunch) has been pretty hot, too. OH...WAIT! You helped catch them all! LOL!
    IMG_4883.jpg
    Yep, and we had a great time doing it! Had teriyaki grilled king belly for dinner last night and my goodness that was some incredible fish! Maybe the finest piece of fish any of us has ever eaten and that is saying something...

Yep, and we had a great time doing it! Had teriyaki grilled king belly for dinner last night and my goodness that was some incredible fish! Maybe the finest piece of fish any of us has ever eaten and that is saying something...
    Nice!!! I forgot to give you my "bourbon smoked salmon" recipe to you. I'll look it up and send it along. Though I might just bring it up to you. Hoping to get a little time to run up there and do a little coho slaying!

I'd love to give the bourbon smoked salmon recipe a try, although I'd have a real struggle pouring perfectly good bourbon into a pile of coho, lol. Please do pass the recipe on and we'll give it a shot. I've got a batch of fillets about to come out of the brine as we speak to get ready for the smoker tomorrow! We pulled some real hogs today, got one on the fly that went about 15 pounds or so.

King belly..........goooooooooooooood...

Thinking of heading out to k bay with the kayak in a couple of weeks. Any guess if the kings will still be close in?

Will we all be alive in 2 weeks? That is the question...

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    Thinking of heading out to k bay with the kayak in a couple of weeks. Any guess if the kings will still be close in?

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast