Thread: need a digital camera that can

Default need a digital camera that can

take good action shots, is portable(as can fit in a shirt pocket) I would like as much optical zoom as possible. I know that is alot to ask of a compact camera. and won't break the bank. I want it for fishing, hunting, snowmachining and flying. I could careless about a movie mode. Just want good picks of critters, and finned creatures in action. How manny times have you wished you had a camera when out and about? Well thats what I am looking for, so bring on your suggestions!!
    Thanks for your help!

Default Canon A series

This is the digital camera that I picked up for $270 about a year ago http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=11998

This has been undoubtedly the best camera I've ever had. You can change the mode to use more or less pixels based on the intended picture size you will end up with (i.e. I have a 256mb card in it and I have 678 pics on it in 1600 x1200 mode with 42 pics left). It has great clarity. Good zoom (4x optical, 16x digital).

I have a camera pouch made by Case Logic (picked it up for $10 at Wal-Mart http://www.caselogic.com/camouflage_...?modelid=70091
    It fit right into it with room for the USB cables. It has a belt loop, so I can keep it on my side. Most of the time it's thrown in my pack.

This has been a good little set-up... took lots of pics. Everyone has had positive comments about the quality of pics, screen size and clarity, and the available camera settings.
    "The rich... who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own excellence, these are the real enemies of game".... Theodore Roosevelt's A Principle of the Hunt

Default Some options

The requests for a long zoom and "fits in pocket," seem to argue against each other. Hard to get a 12x or so zoom to do that, but Panasonic has a 10x zoom camera does. Their DMC-TZ3 covers a zoom from 28-280mm (equivalent range) which provides a wider than normal to a good telephoto range.

Digital Photography Review's report can be read hear: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonictz3/

Canon's new TX1 would be another in this category, but a bit larger I think, and laid out kind of oddly.

There are better small cameras for action shots of animals, but they are not really all that small. Perhaps all you need are bigger pockets though. Canon's S3 IS, or Panasonic's FZ8 would be good examples of those. Reviews on most of these can be seen at the same dpreview site.

I have a slightly older FZ5, and find it an amazing little camera. It doesn't keep up with my digital SLRs, but it doesn't take much to pack it around either. The thing is larger than "pocket size", but is surprisingly light. The Canon S3 IS is a little larger, and considerably heavier than the Panasonic FZ1/2/3/4/5/7/8 series. But the Canon S3 IS uses rechargeable AA batteries, and I find that to be a plus. Just don't try using alkalines in them. They don't last at all. But you can use lithium disposables in them.

One thing you should make sure of though, any small digital camera with a long zoom needs image stabilization. These lenses are too long (optically) to hold steady, and camera shake will be greatly exaggerated by the small bodied cameras. What ever you do, do not get the digital kind of stabilization. Digital image stabilization is a farce, and is very much like digital zoom. Ignore both and you will not loose the image quality that disappears by using them. They aren't harmful if you don't use them, but don't factor them in when buying, because they are such a waste.

The issue of action might be more complicated. No small digital camera does action really well. They aren't responsive enough, and people are often irritated by the delay. Most of the better small digital cameras introduced in the last couple years have extremely low shutter lag, but they all seem to have significant focus lag times. You press the shutter when you want the picture, and nothing happens while the camera tries to find focus, than it finally fires. To the operator it just feels like the camera is be belligerent, as you can't really tell what's causing the delay. The work around is to pre-focus by holding the shutter button half way down to lock in the focus. Then, without letting the shutter button up, trip the shutter when you want the picture. With newer and better cameras it's almost instantaneous.

The second issue that seems to cause a slow response with digital cameras is that the LCD screen (or the electronic viewfinder if it has one) is always about a 1/2 second slow. It lags real time, and if you time your shutter to it to capture the peak of the action, your picture will be a 1/2 second late.
    The work around for this is to keep the left eye looking around the camera right at the subject, while the right eye looks in the electronic viewfinder or at the LCD. Frame with the viewfind or LCD, but do your timing with the free eye.

Default Pentax waterproof camera

I recently got a Pentax wb 20 (I think) it is the waterproof digital camera. Super nice camera. I have taken some pictures and was quite impressed. Similar to that of my Sony Cybershot (which takes great quality pics). I like the waterproof idea. Got it for river fishing trips. Sounds like you are pretty active, perhaps a waterproof camera would be worth looking at. It is a very high quality product and I got mine for around $300 at Ritz Camera.

Default ideal small camera

The BEST compact camera is the Olympus Stylus 720SW. It is a 7.1 MP camera with a 3x optical zoom. The reason it's so great....It is waterproof to 10' under water, can be dropped from 5' and the pictures are amazing.
    It is probably our best selling camer to outdoorsman.
    If you have any questions let me know, as I would be happy to help you out

Joel Paymer
    Camera Land
    212-753-5128
    575 Lexington Ave
    New York, NY 10022

Default Thanks!

Thanks for all the responses, I'll have to check these out! Any other advice is very welcomed!
    Thanks again!

get the canon A series I think A630 maybe anyhow make sure you can control shutter speed and apeture for action shots
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default May want to look at.

I suggest looking at the panasonic tz series, small size for the zoom, you get 10x, stabilizer and leica lense.

I've got one of the Panasonic DMC-TZ1 cameras, and agree with the 2 previous posters who recommended one.

Had some others, with the 3x zoom, and found that zoomed in at 3x is no better than how things look in real life.

The 10x (12x) on some models makes a big difference.

I can't recall if this shoot was shot zoomed all the way out or not...

but this is for sure zoomed in...

Not gonna get that close with 3x. The image stabilization feature was a big plus, and the Leica glass speaks for itself.

Oh, and it takes great movies, really! I take lot's of movies with it because they turn out so cool. So don't over look that feature.
    Lot's of good choices out there though.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    I've got one of the Panasonic DMC-TZ1 cameras, and agree with the 2 previous posters who recommended one.

Had some others, with the 3x zoom, and found that zoomed in at 3x is no better than how things look in real life.

The 10x (12x) on some models makes a big difference.

I can't recall if this shoot was shot zoomed all the way out or not...

but this is for sure zoomed in...

Not gonna get that close with 3x. The image stabilization feature was a big plus, and the Leica glass speaks for itself.

Oh, and it takes great movies, really! I take lot's of movies with it because they turn out so cool. So don't over look that feature.
    Lot's of good choices out there though.
    Those pictures have great potential! If only you had $5000 worth of stuff that eagle shot would be simply killer! The first one just begs for a polorizer, great lighting not much you could do about the crazy difference in between the glacier and the tower except maybe a split nd filter!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.