Thread: Moose camp cook tent

Default Moose camp cook tent

Wanting to obtain any recommendations for a cooking shelter/tent for our moose camp. Previously been using tarps and parawings, but tired of wind. cold, and rain problems associated with these. Tried using a Cabelas Guide screen room with fly this fall, but found it could not hold up to winds where we camp (ripped fly apart).

Requirements for ideal cook shack would include:
    --able to withstand 50 mph winds when anchored properly
    --able to accommodate up to four people comfortably including cook table (approx. 12' x 12'+)
    --adult can stand upright in most (or at least somewhere) in shelter (6' minimal height)
    --no floor
    --waterproof (single wall okay)
    --not cost a fortune
    --prefer fairly lightweight, but not critical, since transported with atv's
    --prefer some ventilaion capabilities
    --stove jack not necessary, as we cook on propane stove and heat with Little Buddy propane heaters

Kifara tipi looks ideal, but price (approaching $2000) is very unappealing, perhaps even frightening, if my wife ever found out how much I'd spent on it!

Looking for any experience with use of shelters that might fill this bill. Thanks ahead of time.

army 10 man arctic tent....everything above but lightweight. I've been in mine and withstood a day and a half of 83mph wind and rain. $500 well spent and wouldn't trade it for the $2000 version. Got a woodstove I cook/heat with and it's wonderfull!
    [IMG][/IMG]

I've been using the Titanium Goat Vertex 8 for a few years now and really like it. I think it meets all your criteria. I had 3 extra guyouts sewed in which I recommend for wind/snow. It survived 2 weeks on a Kodiak spring hunt with no issues and some tough weather.

Although I haven't done it yet, I have a four seat folding picnic table that has a small hole in the center. I enlarged that hole such that the center pole of the Tipi fits through the hole. That would give you a picnic table and seating for four in the center of the tipi - nice. Probably still enough room for a roll-a-table off to the side to cook on.

Good luck on your search.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Haven't checked forums for past couple days...still cleaning up from moose trip...completed grinding our burger for the winter last night--glad that's over with! Gear is nearly dried out (what a wet cold moose excursion this season!)

Thanks for the feedback!

I own a TiGoat (6 man bought used years ago) and find it perfect for one to two people as a cooking tent; just not "roomy" enough for four people to stretch out in each evening. Great thought about a center table with hole in middle for main tipi support. Why didn't I ever think of doing that?

Have never experienced a military arctic tent--sure doesn't appear that roominess would an issue! Looks like setting up one might take a bit of time, but once it's up... Looks like they weigh about 70 pounds (online figures)--does that seem about right? $500 appears to be the going price for reconditioned ones online. Any issues that you're aware of in purchasing a used one? What size and style of stove do you find works well in it for late fall conditions?

Thanks again for the info.