Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 48

Thread: Making 375 brass from 30-30

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,808

    Default Making 375 brass from 30-30

    What does it take, to make,,,,,

    375 Winchester cases out of 30-30 cases?

    Other than the .375 sizing die?

    Smitty of the North
    Last edited by Murphy; 09-27-2012 at 00:28.
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  2. #2

    Default

    Long ways from A to B on that one. While I haven't done that particular move, any time I've had to really open up a case it's been a choice between using a succession of dies or firing a case full of corn meal on top of a little Unique. I kinda like the smell of cornbread you get with the latter, so that's been my course mostly. Works best to carry a set of Lee dippers to the range along with primed cases, cornmeal and Unique. Fill the cases one by one on the spot, point straight up and pop. It's worth having along a decapper and hand primer. You'll fire a few without forming the case right until you find the right combo for the case, and it's easier to be able to reprime those on the spot, rather than taking home a bunch of fire formed and a handful that need the treatment again. Like I said, I haven't done you're combo, but I'd guess somewhere between 5 and 10 grains of Unique, but maybe a little higher.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,808

    Default

    Thanks BrownBear:

    I've got all that stuff, including the cormmeal. I can try Fireforming.

    I like cornbread. I think I'll make some for breakfast.

    Smitty of the North

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I like cornbread. I think I'll make some for breakfast.
    Ah man, now I'm hungry too! Where I come from hot, fresh cornbread with milk poured over it is the breakfast of champions!

  5. #5
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default 30-30 to 375 winchester brass

    It would be interesting to see a cross section of both a 30-30 and 375. I have heard that the case wall thickness and web is beefier in the 375 so it may not be possible to load to 375 win levels using fireformed 30-30.

  6. #6
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    4,431

    Default

    You can also straighten out 30-30 case to stove pipe 375 cases with just extruded powder and a primer. Just use up some old powder you don't use anymore, no bullet. Load the case in by hand with a case about 2/3 full of powder with the barrel pointed up. Or you can use wax to close at the case mouth, or use a paper wad in place of a bullet. I would much prefer new 375 cases and they are available.
    Last edited by Murphy; 09-27-2012 at 10:08.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?



  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    welfare state of Alaska
    Posts
    5,153

    Default real cornbread

    Real cornbread is made with lard, whole grain stone ground corn, and cooked in a cast iron skillet.

    Most people have never tasted the real stuff. The cake like stuff most people call cornbread is a joke.

    Corn bread is properly served with buttermilk and pinto beans in the mountains of east TN although the left over is crumbled into sweet milk for a treat.


    Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Ah man, now I'm hungry too! Where I come from hot, fresh cornbread with milk poured over it is the breakfast of champions!
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    Real cornbread is made with lard, whole grain stone ground corn, and cooked in a cast iron skillet.

    Most people have never tasted the real stuff. The cake like stuff most people call cornbread is a joke.

    Corn bread is properly served with buttermilk and pinto beans in the mountains of east TN although the left over is crumbled into sweet milk for a treat.
    Grew up on the border where real corn is blue and the chili is fresh. The Tennessee way is about as proper to me as mine is to you. Eat yours and I'll eat mine, and we'll both be happy.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,808

    Default

    Well, I make cornbread with lard too. You can still buy lard, but sometimes it's hard to find. I made my own a cupla three years back when I traded a gun for 1/2 a hog.

    I cook good beans too, mostly Pinto beans with ham hocks or salt pork. The trick is to make sure the beans are cooked or almost, before you add salt or anything that has salt.

    I have in the past ground corn meal and flour. I still have the grindersk, the wheat, and corn, just haven't done it in a long while, but I agree, it is better tasting.

    Cornbread goes good with beans.

    I dunno if I'll be loading for a 375 or not, just checkin my options. I'm tryin to find a part for one that blongs to my wifes berry picking partner.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  10. #10
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    What part ya huntin Smitty?


    I thought the trick to beans was never worry them, put the spoon down and walk away. Being an Arizonan with eastern Oklahoma roots I like my cornbread with lard and my beans with lots of chilies myself.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,808

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    What part ya huntin Smitty?


    I thought the trick to beans was never worry thehm, put the spoon down and walk away. Being an Arizonan with eastern Oklahoma roots I like my cornbread with lard and my beans with lots of chilies myself.
    Front barrel banb screw. I may have the problem licked if a friend can tap the threads to fit a screw I found in my collection.

    If you cook beans with salt or too much salt they get tuff to chew and taste like they ain't cooked. IME, It's better to salt them after. (I eat a lot of salt. Prob. Too Much.)

    I like that Cajun Seasoning I get from Costco to hot up my beans.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sandpoint, ID
    Posts
    1,969

    Default

    Alright...I'll share. The secret taught to me by an eighth generation New Mexican is to make sure you soak the pintos at least 12 hours before you start cooking. I like red anchos broken up a bit and cooked down with the beans, onions and whatever meat I have to put in them. I've even put deer jerky in the pot but smoked meat with fat is the best IMO. I find I put more cumin into my beans than I used to and probably more chili powder too....maybe my taste buds are wearing out.

    I'm wishing I was out picking berries too!!!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

  13. #13
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Front barrel banb screw. I may have the problem licked if a friend can tap the threads to fit a screw I found in my collection.

    Smitty of the North
    They are a Winchester only .108ď-56tpi thread and Iíd be real impressed if your friend has the tooling to do anything but tap it over-size. I donít think tapping it over-size will work because youíll get into the magazine tube to make room for it and get more problems.
    Why not just buy the correct screw?

    New:
    http://homesteadparts.com/shopcart/pid_1356.htm

    Used:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRE-64-Winch...item2ec1d86f2c
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    welfare state of Alaska
    Posts
    5,153

    Default beans and cornbread

    We always washed and then soaked the beans at least overnight before we cooked them the next day. We poured the water off we soaked them in and started with fresh water before we started cooking them. With a ham hock cooked in the beans made a real meal on a cold winter day if you ate them with some good cornbread with real butter, coleslaw, and buttermilk.

    Most of the corn meal you find today is de-germed and ground too fine - I want the whole grain stone ground. The junk you buy here is great for fire forming cases but not so good for cooking. Then people mix a lot of sugar and flour in it and don't cook it in a cast iron skillet or dutch oven. Just isn't close to the real thing!

    Lard was what my parents and generations before them grew up with for cooking. Now we have all this veggy oil stuff and before that we had margarine and other trans fats that they now say are killing us - we should have stuck with butter!

    Speaking of corn - anyone eaten any hominy corn lately? We used to eat it fairy frequently but I haven't had any in years. I need to pick up a few cans next time I'm in the store looking for lard. May get some pork brains also to mix with my scrambled eggs.


    Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    Alright...I'll share. The secret taught to me by an eighth generation New Mexican is to make sure you soak the pintos at least 12 hours before you start cooking. I like red anchos broken up a bit and cooked down with the beans, onions and whatever meat I have to put in them. I've even put deer jerky in the pot but smoked meat with fat is the best IMO. I find I put more cumin into my beans than I used to and probably more chili powder too....maybe my taste buds are wearing out.

    I'm wishing I was out picking berries too!!!
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,808

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    They are a Winchester only .108ď-56tpi thread and Iíd be real impressed if your friend has the tooling to do anything but tap it over-size. I donít think tapping it over-size will work because youíll get into the magazine tube to make room for it and get more problems.
    Why not just buy the correct screw?

    New:
    http://homesteadparts.com/shopcart/pid_1356.htm

    Used:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRE-64-Winch...item2ec1d86f2c
    I couldn't find one.

    Tapping over-size is the plan. Is that inadvisable?

    Smitty of the north
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  16. #16
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I couldn't find one.

    Tapping over-size is the plan. Is that inadvisable?

    Smitty of the north
    Well when you tap it bigger than ya got to make the notch between bigger. You may get away with that on the front band but on the forearm it definitely ainít good because it will hang the follower. I think they use that real fine thread to stop it backing out. The links I posted there is the stuff ya needs though.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,808

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Well when you tap it bigger than ya got to make the notch between bigger. You may get away with that on the front band but on the forearm it definitely ainít good because it will hang the follower. I think they use that real fine thread to stop it backing out. The links I posted there is the stuff ya needs though.
    Thanks AD:

    I'm gonna send you a PM.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    welfare state of Alaska
    Posts
    5,153

    Default right screw

    I recently had to take the forend off a pre-war 94 that hadn't been touched since it was new. Got the old screw out OK but getting it back in was bugger of a job. It appeared the wooden forened had swelled a bit in the past 70+ years and the screw won't quite line up. I got a couple of new screws and used a fine rat tail swiss file to carefully enlarge the notch and wood until the screw would finally just go in. Unfortuately I don't still have the new screws or I'd give you one.

    Good luck!


    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I couldn't find one.

    Tapping over-size is the plan. Is that inadvisable?

    Smitty of the north
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,808

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    I recently had to take the forend off a pre-war 94 that hadn't been touched since it was new. Got the old screw out OK but getting it back in was bugger of a job. It appeared the wooden forened had swelled a bit in the past 70+ years and the screw won't quite line up. I got a couple of new screws and used a fine rat tail swiss file to carefully enlarge the notch and wood until the screw would finally just go in. Unfortuately I don't still have the new screws or I'd give you one.

    Good luck!

    Thanks for the tip, tvfinak:

    Yeah, soaking beans for like overnight is pretty standard, or bring them to boil and set for an hour. Instructions are usually on the bag.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sandpoint, ID
    Posts
    1,969

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    :

    Yeah, soaking beans for like overnight is pretty standard, or bring them to boil and set for an hour. Instructions are usually on the bag.

    Smitty of the North
    No, no, no!!

    Soak in cold water softens and hydrates the beans. Boiling them makes them loose flavor and nutriants...then simmer for several hours with meat and spices until the beans are softened to where you like them...or so I'm told and they turn out just the way I like them...YMMV.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •