Thread: Denali Highway washed out?

Default Denali Highway washed out?

I'm heading up to the Denali hwy next weekend to help a friend get a brownie but Alaska 511 says the highway is "impassable" due to flooding near mile 121. Does anyone have any firsthand knowledge of the current road condition? I would rather enter the hwy from Cantell rather than add a hundred miles to my trip by going around to Paxson.

Default Denali Highway washed out?

Touch base with Alpine Creek Lodge. Claude travels the road on a frequent basis or at least should have some good current info with all the hunters coming in and out.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by kenaiphisher View Post
    I'm heading up to the Denali hwy next weekend to help a friend get a brownie but Alaska 511 says the highway is "impassable" due to flooding near mile 121. Does anyone have any firsthand knowledge of the current road condition? I would rather enter the hwy from Cantell rather than add a hundred miles to my trip by going around to Paxson.

Sorry, no information about that side of the highway. Paxson to Alpine Creek Lodge looked pretty good yesterday. Didn't have any areas we couldn't get through. The road is in a lot worse condition than a month ago, but still navigable.

Check the DOT page, it sounded like they were going to repair the washed out sections this weekend. But it's impassable right now.

There was a 7 mile stretch closed today due to washouts. At last report they were hoping to have it opened tonight or tomorrow I believe. There's more rain on the way tho.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

Came back last night from Alpine Creek Lodge yesterday...Road was impassible from the Cantwell side, with high water and raging rivers everywhere in the area...Paxson side is a longer drive and no road or construction issues except some minor rock slides between Palmer and Glenallen as of last night...took about 5 hrs from Palmer Wasilla highway... Best of luck

Thanks for the info! From the sounds of it, Paxson will have to be my route. I'll call Alpine and DOT for updates on late next week so see if they've made any progress. I'll give an update when I know more.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaiphisher View Post
    Thanks for the info! From the sounds of it, Paxson will have to be my route. I'll call Alpine and DOT for updates on late next week so see if they've made any progress. I'll give an update when I know more.

Just be careful for the rock slides between Sutton & Sheep Mountain (sorry so vague, I was pretty tired both times we went through and don't remember exactly where they were). We were hauling @$$ through there on the way up and almost had an incident. I kinda started overlooking "Slide Area" signs until 2 mornings ago when it seemed like there was another one around every corner and we were coming through early enough that the road crews hadn't cleaned them up, yet. There must have been 4 or 5 that covered both lanes with rocks the size of a small car. They were cleaned up when we came back that night, but with all this rain still coming down, I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few more between now and when you head up.

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    Just be careful for the rock slides between Sutton & Sheep Mountain .... There must have been 4 or 5 that covered both lanes with rocks the size of a small car. They were cleaned up when we came back that night, but with all this rain still coming down, I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few more between now and when you head up.

I'm expecting the worst and hoping for the best! Luckily, this is not a rushed speed run and I'm hoping to enjoy the sights. Going to be nice not being the hunter this trip; I'm just a set of eyes and a semi-strong back.